Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2 View Post
1972 Mercury Capri 2600 V6 had a timing set that was nylong/plastic gear to gear (no chain). Mine blew apart too. Fortunately in that instance they learned their lesson and the replacement parts were all steel. There are some applications where you might be able to get away with it, but not an oil pump, timing set, or other critical pieces.
I had one of those. If I remember right the horn was on the blinker stick. it was actually a fun little car to drive. Good power and one of the first models to have a sunroof.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #17

Just figured I'd chime in on this topic, as I'm about to have to do the same thing. I went to fire up the Nomad ('99, 30k) after the winter, and there's a prominent tick mostly from the front cylinder. I also have a Mean Streak. Just for giggles, I looked at the oil sight glass of both bikes at idle, and high idle using a mirror the Streak shows an empty glass while running, but the Nomad is showing about half glass. When taking the Nomad to high idle, initially all the oil leaves the glass but slowly rises back to half glass. Oh, and no oil light. I'm guessing oil pump, or gear, but the previous owner specifically told me he had the POG changed to a steel one. Honestly, I figure I'm going to have to open it up anyway, so might as well do it right and put in the Judges gear, Streak Clutch, and I'm not familiar with the throttle mod mentioned above. Any help in preparation for this will be helpful, including where to get the Judges gear.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #18

I would think your ticking is from the hydraulic adjusters being dry after sitting over the winter.

Check the thread " Air cover blew off and bad MPG" for some tips where to review a shop manual and such. I would check to see if the bike had washers already and that the gear was changed before I ordered a gear; as the gear is $310 plus shipping. If you have a plastic gear there are several members, including myself, that have replaced a gear and can help. You should be able to replace the clutch spring, add washers and replace the cover gasket for around $100.

The gear and washers are available here: http://www.ezonmotorcycleaccessories.com/Default.aspx

If you had no oil pressure the oil light should have come on. Something is not right.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Last edited by ndbigfish; 04-13-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
I have to admit I didn't have a clue what the tabs were. There was nothing obvious to me. Bob, wolfmil042370 helped me out. On the back of the clutch basket are 6 horizontal springs about 1" long in a circular pattern. Each one has a steel tab on either side. These need to be below the main drive gear. Here is the part I never would have figured out. You have to take a ball peen and set it on top of the tab then hit it hard with another hammer. Check clearance again and repeat for all tabs. A total of 12. I probably had 6 too high. So I hit them all. Thanks Bob
Thats the ones.
VBA #1047

Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndbigfish View Post
I would think your ticking is from the hydraulic adjusters being dry after sitting over the winter.

Check the thread " Air cover blew off and bad MPG" for some tips where to review a shop manual and such. I would check to see if the bike had washers already and that the gear was changed before I ordered a gear; as the gear is $310 plus shipping. If you have a plastic gear there are several members, including myself, that have replaced a gear and can help. You should be able to replace the clutch spring, add washers and replace the cover gasket for around $100.

The gear and washers are available here: http://www.ezonmotorcycleaccessories.com/Default.aspx

If you had no oil pressure the oil light should have come on. Something is not right.
The ticking I'm referring to is not something you have to strain to hear. It's quite prominent. I agree something's not right. I'm considering a couple of things before pulling the cover. 1st, change the oil, even though I did toward end of season, and put an additive like SeaFoam to see if it frees anything up. 2nd, I have already found the link to the manual and saved it. The previous owner, (or one before him), installed a custom dash piece, and maybe didn't hook everything back up correctly. So, I'm going to spend some time with the manual seeing if everything is correct or not. 3rd, I'm considering installing, or even temporarily installing, an oil pressure gauge, using Gadgets link for instructions. That should give me a good visual indication of what's going on in there if its related to the oil pressure.

I'm very grateful there are others who have done all of this before and will be able to help along the way. Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #21

I wish someone would post a pic of this. I am yet to find a pick of the elusive tabs!

Old 04-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to wolfmil042370
Ok after searching the web for a good pic of the clutch basket i found one the Tabs that everyone refers to are circled in red there are 12 of them in total 2 per spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch basket1.jpg (90.0 KB, 24 views)
1999 Vulcan Nomad 1500
Green/Green
Vance & Hines Dual Bagger

Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmil042370 View Post
Ok after searching the web for a good pic of the clutch basket i found one the Tabs that everyone refers to are circled in red there are 12 of them in total 2 per spring.
As they say a picture is worth 1000 words. Not ever diving into this before I had a totally different picture of tabs in my mind.

Thanks.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagginAndStreakin View Post
Just figured I'd chime in on this topic, as I'm about to have to do the same thing. I went to fire up the Nomad ('99, 30k) after the winter, and there's a prominent tick mostly from the front cylinder.
How long did you let it run for? As others have said, it's typical to get some lifter tick after it's been sitting for an extended period of time. It takes a good 5-10 minutes of run time for the lifters to get pumped up and the tick to go away. If you ran it for less than 5 minutes try it again, but let it run for the 5 minutes or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
I had one of those. If I remember right the horn was on the blinker stick. it was actually a fun little car to drive. Good power and one of the first models to have a sunroof.
It also had the floor pedal/pump for the wipers/washers. I agree. Had friends that owned the Datsun 260Z and that little Capri would run with em and do real well. Put some wider meats on it and would go hit the twisties. Had a blast with it.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 04-15-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Thats them. It is critical to get them below edge of the basket.
VBA #1047

Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #26

Quote:
How long did you let it run for? As others have said, it's typical to get some lifter tick after it's been sitting for an extended period of time. It takes a good 5-10 minutes of run time for the lifters to get pumped up and the tick to go away. If you ran it for less than 5 minutes try it again, but let it run for the 5 minutes or so.
I'll try that. I was just worried if I let it run too long with no oil, I'd just do damage. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Thank you very, very much!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #28
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagginAndStreakin View Post
I'll try that. I was just worried if I let it run too long with no oil, I'd just do damage. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
If your oil pressure is low you should get a light. Should.........

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #29

Quote:
You're a lifesaver! It's back to sounding like the sewing machine like it always has since I've owned it. Next project(s) on the list: cam chain extenders and steering bearings.