Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Water Temp Resistor

that would be one fine set up!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #17

Water Temp Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
If the bike had a true closed loop system, it would have a knock sensor and adjust the timing. Such is not the case. The system is limited and there is only so much you can do to fake it into running differently. Without better feedback like an O2 sensor and and a knock sensor, I have to wonder if it is worth all the hacking. A better question is, if cars have had this for years, why not bikes? Some do, like the BMWs. They even have CANs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I would think that if you could retard the timing a couple of degrees, that would cure the pinging more so,rather than adjusting the fuel injection system,which is basically changing it either rich or lean, this doesn't always cure the pinging as does the water temp. I dont know if the timing is adjustable on our bikes,to try this. Also if you put in a thicker,or double head gaskets, that may lower the compression a bit, so it cures the pinging. Both of these procedures would lower your performance very slightly. The best procedure may be to change the advance curve in the timing, but that is in the ECU, and I don't think they are programable.
It's great to have hackers like BD and CMQ. They're the ones who will ultimatley get it right for the rest of us who are going to modify our bikes or have already done so.

Personally, I can't see downgrading any of my components or settings whether for mileage, antiping or anything. I want the best hp with the greatest mileage but I will not sacrifice hp for mileage. Right now, I go for the aftermarket crap that is available. I have the balls to make the changes and cut things (private joke).

I think the issue is: How much mileage are you willing to give up for the rocket performance? Are you willing to spend money?

Or, we encourage the guys like BD and CMQ to help us get the BD's bafflectomy and resisitor mod, Caddmans air filter mod, etc.

My opinion only.

Tomk

Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 AM   #18

Water Temp Resistor

Mileage isn't all that important to me either. I really like seat of the pants performance. But it is frustrating that we have such an awesome machine as the Nomad and yet it doesn't have the power or get the mileage (42) of my old 1999 Roadking. The potential is hidden down in that 1600 somewhere. I won't own another Harley for my own personal reasons, so until someone builds a better touring cruise, the Nomad is the best cruiser for me.
(although I'd like to ride a Rocket III Tourer)

Old 04-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Water Temp Resistor

I think thats my only gripe about the Nomad too bob. I know this isn't suppose to be a crotch rocket and I don't care that it's not. I just sometimes scratch my head and think for such a mild running bike for such a huge motor I would have thought the mileage would be it's best feature. It's not. for it's engine size and configuration it's probably one of the worst at mileage. I do give it credit for longevity. It probably will outlast 95% of the rest of the motorcycle industries engines. 100K is not uncommon.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Water Temp Resistor

To each his own. For me, reliability is #1. HP and mileage do not matter if you do not make to your destination. For me, entropy enters the equation once you deviate from hoyle. Actually the day you leave the showroom, but you get the idea. Don't get me wrong, I used to hot rod cars all the time, but it just doesn't matter to me anymore. I'd rather know it works. Lastly, I don't think CMQ or BD need encouragement. They would do it no matter what and that's cool. If all my kids were out of the house and I had more time, I'd probably tinker a whole lot more. Right now just to get to ride is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
If the bike had a true closed loop system, it would have a knock sensor and adjust the timing. Such is not the case. The system is limited and there is only so much you can do to fake it into running differently. Without better feedback like an O2 sensor and and a knock sensor, I have to wonder if it is worth all the hacking. A better question is, if cars have had this for years, why not bikes? Some do, like the BMWs. They even have CANs.
It's great to have hackers like BD and CMQ. They're the ones who will ultimatley get it right for the rest of us who are going to modify our bikes or have already done so.

Personally, I can't see downgrading any of my components or settings whether for mileage, antiping or anything. I want the best hp with the greatest mileage but I will not sacrifice hp for mileage. Right now, I go for the aftermarket crap that is available. I have the balls to make the changes and cut things (private joke).

I think the issue is: How much mileage are you willing to give up for the rocket performance? Are you willing to spend money?

Or, we encourage the guys like BD and CMQ to help us get the BD's bafflectomy and resisitor mod, Caddmans air filter mod, etc.

My opinion only.

Tomk
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Water Temp Resistor

I have heard 200K+ for one guy with a Nomad. BMW and Honda Goldwings have been known to break 300K. 100K would be a lot for a HD. I think the only thing you have to worry about is the cam chains stretching. The guy with 200K+ had them saw through the spark plug boss. HE replaced the tubes and put chain extenders in, but I think he'll have to find a more permanent fix eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
I think thats my only gripe about the Nomad too bob. I know this isn't suppose to be a crotch rocket and I don't care that it's not. I just sometimes scratch my head and think for such a mild running bike for such a huge motor I would have thought the mileage would be it's best feature. It's not. for it's engine size and configuration it's probably one of the worst at mileage. I do give it credit for longevity. It probably will outlast 95% of the rest of the motorcycle industries engines. 100K is not uncommon.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11