Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #16

Vaquero

I don't like the tank badges. For a $16,000.00 bike you'd think Kawasaki could have come up with something better than vinyl stickers for the tank.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #17

Vaquero

It was wet here yesterday so I headed to the dealer to look for a jacket for the Missus. I sat on a red one, fired it up and let it run. As I was looking it over the Missus pointed out all the short comings.......probably not one in my future, but I think they will sell a lot of these bikes.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Vaquero

Tank badges didn't bother me.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #19
Advanced Member

Vaquero

Badges - you don't need no stinkin badges! Had to be said! I'd find some old ones off the earlier Nomad and cover up the decals!

Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Vaquero

They are bigger then you think...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #21

Vaquero

I like to peel the stickers off anyway.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #22

Vaquero

My dealer in Maine has the Black one.. LOVE the looks and fit. Im 6ft3..but would need the taller windshield...Mounting a trung would be a challange as the rear fender is very wide,, seems they made built in spacers on it to fill the gap between the fendr and bags,, IMO looks real nice......The dealer is also a Victory dealer and I finannly got to sit on the Cross Country.. WOW the balance is awsome.. flip it like a 900 cc bike...... The Vag does feel a tad heavy link my Nomad.... But in the Looks zDept. The Vaquero has it beat hands down

Old 02-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #23

Vaquero

I guess I'm at a loss for now. I just returned from one of our "Big Box" everything dealers in the twin cities and sat on the Red Vaquero and the two tone Victory Cross Country.
I must admit, I think I prefer the Victory over the Kawasaki.
I like the looks of the Vaquero but the weight and seat makes me remember the Nomad.
I loved my stock seat on the 1600 Nomad. I would take that bike anywhere. But this Vaquero
makes me think no.
I hate to admit it but I am pulled towards the Victory.
I'm a loyal Kawasaki man in part because my dealer (a small Kaw only shop) is great at customer srvice, which is not this big box dealer where you can sit on any bike he has and compare.
The big box guy has 6 franchises now as they add BMW.
I currently own a Kaw 800 Vulcan Drifter 2004 model which I plan to sell and buy another big bagger like my 2007 Nomad which I sold.
I am really torn between the two bikes.
The Vic is lighter and feels like it is. The Vaq carries it's weight up high like the Nomad did and my girl didn't like the one piece seat. It really is very hard and my wife won't ride it without a better seat. I'll have to go with one of those Butt Buddy's or something.
Who knows, I may just sell the bikes and say forget it for a while. May be time for a Jeep or something else!

Old 02-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #24

Vaquero

I posted under a different Vaquero thread and will comment here too.
I'm a loyal Kaw Nomad 1600 guy but the more I look at the Victory Cross Country and compare
it to the Vaquero right next to it I'm leaning towards Victory.
Sorry to say but Kawasaki may have lost my next purchase to Victory.
If it wasn't for the need for a bagger for trips I would go with the Victory High Ball which comes out in April.
I have two bikes to sell before I buy another one and they will sell fast but they are only 800cc bikes and not real dresser or bagger types. I set them up for solo riding for day trips.
I don't miss the Nomad all that much except for days when I could get out and ride with wind protection and good storage which I miss.
I guess the Nomad was a much better all around bike then I realized. Just way too heavy.
Oh well, can't have it all in one bike.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Vaquero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadken
I'm a loyal Kaw Nomad 1600 guy but

If it wasn't for the need for a bagger for trips I would go with the Victory High Ball which comes out in April.

I guess the Nomad was a much better all around bike then I realized. Just way too heavy.
Sad, I think my 1500 Nomad is everything. Even though it is heavier then the Victory, (I have tested 4 of their models) I can't imagine parting with it.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #26

Vaquero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadken
I posted under a different Vaquero thread and will comment here too.
I'm a loyal Kaw Nomad 1600 guy but the more I look at the Victory Cross Country and compare
it to the Vaquero right next to it I'm leaning towards Victory.
Sorry to say but Kawasaki may have lost my next purchase to Victory.
I have two bikes to sell before I buy another one and they will sell fast but they are only 800cc bikes and not real dresser or bagger types. I set them up for solo riding for day trips.
I don't miss the Nomad all that much except for days when I could get out and ride with wind protection and good storage which I miss.
I agree with you on the Vic as far as the balance,, Felt like a small bike when getting it off the stand.I wasnt crazy for the Vic Crass bars but those could be changed,, I also agree the Vaq feel like Im lifting the Nomad off the stand,,,The Vic is a strong contender for a future purchase

Old 02-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #27

Vaquero

I've always heard...don't buy/not buy a bike because of the seat or handlebars. Both are easily replaceable. My Nomad was VERY uncomfortable until I put on risers and had Russell's mod the seat. I'd try the 2 up touring Kawasaki seat on the vaquero and if I didn't like it go to Russells Day-Long for the mod. It might cost $700 but it would be worth it to ride...all day long.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Vaquero

Stopped in at the shop where I bought my Nomad Wednesday. They sell Kawasaki, Yamaha and do lots of boat stuff as well. When I walked in the door I thought I was in the wrong dealership. One side of the showroom that you see first while walking in, is HD's. The other side you see as you get in the door, had Kawasaki and Yamaha bikes. I didn't count the number from each manufacturer, but it appeared that they had more HD's then Kawasaki, and more HD's than Yamaha. When I asked what was up with that, I was told that they had to have something to sell.

They had a Vaquero in black, I was hoping to see a red one. After I made the mistake of saying I wasn't buying a bike this year. That was the end of our conversation. My son told me he had gone in there in the past, because I said they were great to deal with. And that he didn't feel welcome in their shop when he had been there. Now I know what he meant. If you are not buying we don't have time to talk. Seems some people are doing themselves in, and probably blame the manufacturer's for stuff that won't sell. Stuff doesn't sell itself, people sell stuff. I'm not buying a new bike this year, but if I'm buying one next year, I'll have to think about where I spend my money.
I'll stop rambling now. Sorry.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #29

Vaquero

<<If you are not buying we don't have time to talk. Seems some people are doing themselves in, and probably blame the manufacturer's for stuff that won't sell. Stuff doesn't sell itself, people sell stuff. I'm not buying a new bike this year, but if I'm buying one next year, I'll have to think about where I spend my money.
I'll stop rambling now. Sorry.
>>

A Harley dealer never does that, even if they saw you getting off your metric bike. They know that you might be a potential customer. Also they never make negative remarks on your current non-HD bike, again they know you might be a potential customer.

The HD dealers around here would get you on a bike of your choice and let you go for a test ride in no time, they have helmets and jackets for you to borrow.

Go to a metric dealer, the story is different...

That's my experience.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Vaquero

I was surprised when this happened. But time changes things. Several of my friends purchased their rides at this dealer and sent me to them when I was buying. All was good when we were buying. This was the same salesman that sold me my Nomad. To have him turn around and go sit at his desk and start to flip through some papers, was rude. My son and I were the only customers in the building. My son was looking for a few things, but said lets get out of here. We did.