Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 03-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #16

Something I think about

Great comments from everyone. I like to ride by myself or with a few others. A year ago, I traveled by myself to Alabama. I love the South and the way of life. On the way back to Iowa, I had a couple young good ol' southern boys approach me at a gas station. "Where you from? Ya named your bike "BiscuitsNGravy?" Man, I wish I could do that! Where ya goin'?" When they left, you could tell that they were dreaming about chasing the sunset! I was just lovin' it!

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Something I think about

Ricky, I re-read your original post, and I can see where I misunderstood your comment.
They say there is a badass in every neighborhood, I hadn't found him yet, so I said something about it to my neighbor, he said "We all think it's you". Sometimes we look for stuff and never find it, until one day we wake up, look in the mirror, SCREAM! and run like hell.
Ricky, maybe you are the one people should stay away from!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #18

Something I think about

I was just wondering if I'm the only one out there with the same concerns as me. There are a lot of ............".freaks"and weirdo's out there, not to mention bad people.
Your thoughts?

I was talking to my dad about this the other day. I'm not so sure that there are more 'bad' people out there. I'm inclined to think that the world is such a small place now that we see things differently. All the weird bad and disgusting shtuff was going on before but now we hear more of it. Also I think that proportionately there aren't any more 'bad' people. Just more people period.

My experience is that if given a chance most people will surprise you and be of the stand up variety. I do most of my distance riding alone and out of necessity have had to stop at some questionable places. Just remember that people are people. Give them a nod, say hello, just treat them right and you will be fine.

Also a lot of people out there look at a rider as weird and bad.

But then again, many do cultivate that appearance, while some of us come by it naturally.

MT
VBA 936

Old 03-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Something I think about

Oh I'm a bad ass for sure....LMAO!!!
Since I shaved my head and grew "the goat" last summer, I do find people treating me with a little more respect. I smile more to people because I think I scare them. My own mother thinks I look mean. but she says she still loves me. I think all I need is a tattoo of a heart and MOM in the middle of it. So maybe you're right loafer.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
Advanced Member

Something I think about

I agree, Tequila, it is a smaller place, information wise. I too, talked to my Dad, probably 25 years ago on the same subject. He said, the same old bad stuff was happening forever, we just hear about it now more, because of the cable television, 24 hour news channels, now the Internet, etc. We are bombarded with information of every kind now, where years ago, the only way you got it was through your Local newspapers or the 6 o'clock news.

News thrives on sensationalism to attract viewers, so now we're afraid to let our kids walk to the store or school by themselves, and need to know where they are at all times. I've talked to friends many times, on how we, growing up, were out the door before our parents were even up in the summertime, and never came back home until the streetlights started to come on.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #21

Something I think about

I like to ride alone, never have done more than a 1000 kms but enjoy the BRAIN cleaning I do. As for the thread, love reading it& I'm lucky to have two maybe 3 guys to ride down with to MV. All I can say is we never really ride alone, someone or something is always with us..... enough said, back to the regular schedualed programming!!!
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #22
Advanced Member

Something I think about

Sly, good one...
I myself have rode alone...I once did the Cabot Trail alone after my buddy backed out at the last second. Told myself hey why should I miss out...off I wen left Aylmer Quebec to the Cabot Trail...neighbour said as I left, good luck...saw his face in the mirror...had that < wish it was me look>...I had a gr8 ride...
Enjoy
Cheers

Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
Top Contributor

Something I think about

Well Ricky, the reason you will not find the nut cases is that they are all in California near BD's house. ;) That trip will come in August when you have some company.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 03-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #24
Mega-Contributor

Something I think about

I prefer riding alone. Just a man, his bike and his thoughts on the open road. Not unlike the lone rider on horseback crossing the Continental Divide or Great Plains - except we have to look out for semis, wildlife, drivers texting and applying makeup, and trash and other obstacles on the road.

I like to hit the road early, before the sun comes up. Is it just me, or do you seem to make the best time in conditions like that?

Obviously there are risks when riding alone. There's nobody to watch your back, for one thing. There are also advantages to it, like setting your own schedule and making your own decisions.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17