Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #16

First Impression of the New Bike

I think your King should be due for the first service. I read that HD's own brand Syn3 is not a very good oil and many people recommend Mobil 1 full syn 20-50 in the motor, Spectro 6 speed GL-5 or Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube in the trany and for the primary HD's Formula+ or Spectro Heavy Duty primary chaincase oil (for viscosity rating consult with the manual).

Since each system (crankcase, trany and primary) is separete in your case, it makes sense to choose the best oil for each application instead of putting the same oil in all 3 holes.

Good luck.

Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbypaddy
OK ... here's an observation ... Today I rode 320 miles..... I rode I -10 from Tallahassee west to Fla 79 then south to Panama City Beach.... Then along the coast and back to Tallahassee.

The seat on the Road King SUCKS I will be getting a Mustang Solo like I had on the Nomad..... The factory Cruise is awsome as are the heated grips (it was 42 when I headed out). The bike preformed great and the windshield is fine not much buffeting. I am 6'3' and 280.... I had 27 psi in the shocks and the ride was fine.... I will be putting on lower wind deflectors.... The bike is nimble compaired to the Nad but the NOmad bags are much roomier than the RK.....over all I am very pleased ..... BUT a little over 500 miles so far the verdit is still out! I be back out tomorrow hope for a 400 mile day......

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
That's piling on the miles right away and got me thinking. Did you get the first service done yet? You should find the HD to have better handling at low speeds. It's no wonder the police use it.
Out here when the CHP went with bemmers all the city cops went with them, too. A friend told me what ever CHP rides, the city cops have to have it. He said if CHP rode Burgmans, the city motor cops would swear the Burgmans are the best cop bike.

I'm seeing some cities switching over to Honda ST1300. They make a nice looking cop bike.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

I believe CHP is no longer buying beemers. I believe they've switched to the C14 from the R1200RT-P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:
That's piling on the miles right away and got me thinking. Did you get the first service done yet? You should find the HD to have better handling at low speeds. It's no wonder the police use it.
Out here when the CHP went with bemmers all the city cops went with them, too. A friend told me what ever CHP rides, the city cops have to have it. He said if CHP rode Burgmans, the city motor cops would swear the Burgmans are the best cop bike.

I'm seeing some cities switching over to Honda ST1300. They make a nice looking cop bike.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Quote:

I know we're getting off topic, but here in OK, a few OHP officers have been spotted riding Hayabusas. They are some slick looking bikes, but it baffles me why they thought they needed them. Here's the link... http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12490326

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #20

I really like the Road Kings but I just can't afford one over here plus most bike meets I go to every other bike is a Harley so my Nomad really sticks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Quote:

I know we're getting off topic, but here in OK, a few OHP officers have been spotted riding Hayabusas. They are some slick looking bikes, but it baffles me why they thought they needed them. Here's the link... http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12490326
Ain't any Road King or Nomad or much else gonna outrun that bad boy!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza
I really like the Road Kings but I just can't afford one over here plus most bike meets I go to every other bike is a Harley so my Nomad really sticks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO

Ain't any Road King or Nomad or much else gonna outrun that bad boy!
Nothing beats Motorola.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11