Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
Mega-Contributor

I a...a...agree with you Tim. (did I really say that?)

This has happened too many times to be coincidence. They market either a poorly designed or defective product and refuse to acknowledge said defect. I didn't even consider Vance and Hines mufflers for my bike. Of course, it being a Harley, I probably have twenty brands to choose from, not just two. I went with Rinehart because of their reputation, quality and I like the sound.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I a...a...agree with you Tim. (did I really say that?)
Geez, why do you guys on here have a problem stating you agree with me?
I'm almost always right
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #18

Mac, ever considered brazing? oxy/acy - torch small tip with brazing rod. I did a lot of exhaust repairs years back and worked well.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #19

If you search around you can find mandrel bent donuts and just rebuild the entire bend then have the head pipes powder coated
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by olefiredog View Post
Mac, ever considered brazing? oxy/acy - torch small tip with brazing rod. I did a lot of exhaust repairs years back and worked well.
Yeah I have done it, but not in this are inches from the fire.... I can gas weld, have torches, I have a mig too, the shop has a tig but i am not good with it.

I have the shakes because I don't have any real beer. In NH we just have plain old well water.

Maybe if the guy i go to won't touch it I will mig it, then torch over that to seal my mig welds.

I like torch welding and old lincoln arc welders, but these pipes are thin. I doubt brass rod would stay put, and once you run brass on you can never weld it again.

I got tricks like brazing on 50/50 lead tin soldered parts, on guns, and that is a trick and a half.

I can just see me hitting a spot here and another there to sort of stitch this up and having a crack to the sire open up and maybe a leaf fall out.

The tig guy is really good, and what he does in the industry we both met in.

If he can't weld it, no one can. Then it will be some other fix, but I will loose the season.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers View Post
If you search around you can find mandrel bent donuts and just rebuild the entire bend then have the head pipes powder coated
I never heard the tern mandrel bent donuts. I know what pipe benders do, and i know what car exhaust donuts are, but mixing the terms just lost me.

Cj has terms he uses for the same thing I use with another name. Maybe that's all it is.

Everyone knows you can't trust a guy that rides a Harley though

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #22

I believe that you can get a replacement rear headpipe from V&H for around $75. Might be easier and a lot less hassle than trying to weld up the old one. I know that Hammer got one when his broke but he had to wait several weeks before they could ship one out to him.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
I believe that you can get a replacement rear headpipe from V&H for around $75. Might be easier and a lot less hassle than trying to weld up the old one. I know that Hammer got one when his broke but he had to wait several weeks before they could ship one out to him.
I thought that was a dead end street.... I may look into that idea, but won't hold my breath. And then in NH as it is in Canada i don't have several weeks really. I expect a killing frost any night now... Early but that seems to be the way things are adding up here.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #24

Hmmm... I was just contemplating on a set of Baggers... What kind miles ya have on em before failure?

Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Hmmm... I was just contemplating on a set of Baggers... What kind miles ya have on em before failure?
I'd like to know that too. I have about 1000 miles on mine and was wondering when to look for a failure.
VBA #00716

Old 08-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Not sure if miles matter This system came to me used from someone here off the old site. I installed them in 06 on my 06, which I bought used in June 06. i don't recall the miles on the bike the day I installed this. I do recall the bike had 1,413 miles the day i bought it, and it was around 1 week later when I installed the baggers a TFI and a spector big air kit at the same time.

Now the bike has on 28,500 miles.

I think several factors are involved.

This is the older system and didn't have flanges like they do now and you used the stock flanges over.

I think a lot has to do with how free the system is to move. Heat and cooling cycles moves metals a lot more than people think.

I never used the clamp bolts, and instead used anti seize.

The new systems are supposed to have a thicker gauge metal side wall.... I can't prove that.

I think it matters as to how the system is installed and is 'settled' and in this case I mean you don't tighten things too soon, like get the system all hung in place and then rattle it hard with loose fasteners. So if hasn't got clamped up stress.

So I ran this 7 years before the rear pipe cracked. I can live with that ok, but as far as I knew...... As far as I knew V&H wasn't selling split up pipes with out a while new system.

I think these older pipes are all going to fail at a point in time. I am not sure the new thicker type won't either, but they are still too new to know.

I don't know the date where the pipe changed and V&H isn't going to tell us anyway.

Personally I don't like the Cobra pipe sound, and or the chrome they use. I like the V&H baggers because you can make them your way with steel screen for windows, flashing metal for roofing, pack them with glass wood stove rope, glass matt, glass roving, and glass cloth not to mention glass pack material made for exhausts.

I didn't know Reinhart was making anything for Nomad, and I did know there was a Road House??? something set up a while ago but they failed. I installed that set up to and it sounded better than V&H, but cost almost twice what V&H costs.

V&H has a problem, and i am not certain they really addressed it.

If V&H was smart they would sell rear pipes and assorted other parts deep;y discounted to previous buyers. This set is my 2nd set.

The first set I had was bought brand new and was on my stolen 01 1500.

I get a little anal about things being a x foreign car tech. One other exhaust related item I do is to wire brush the head studs anytime the system comes down. I can tell where these stuffs will be covered with stainless acorn nuts and what won't be.

The part that won't be is my main concern, and for that after it's really clean I spray hi temp black into a paper cup and with a brush coat the stud threads only where the nuts will NOT be.

And where the nuts WILL Be I coat that with anti seize.

The first fire: Before I fire up chromed pipes or heat shields I make sure there is no finger prints, and greasy oil. If there is it will etch into the chrome and be there forever.

I will ride up to 1,000 miles and then check the acorn nuts and the muffler support bolts, for good and snug. I would rather have parts get loose than end up with seized bolts that break off.

These exhaust studs weather out from the heat and cooling cycles as well, and the threads will just go away over heat, cooling and time if nothing is done.

Having too tight torque can and will shear these studs too. The studs stretch and cooling off they shrink.

Long winded but i get that way saving guys a buck.

Other guys here know as much and more than me, but I explain it all and they don't sometimes.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #27

Thanks for the info Mac. I really like the V&H sound too. Hope they last a good long time.
VBA #00716

Old 08-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #28
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I went with Rinehart because...I like the sound.
Me, too. Wish they made a system for my bike. The only true dual system for Vics is from Freedom. Their pipes look good and sound decent but their customer service SUCKS. There's only one Vic aftermarket vendor that carries them and even he gets shit from Freedom.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #29

Have V&H true dual headers on mine with Rinehart cans. V&H is highly recommended for HD bikes. I like the headers. They are good stuff. I've not heard of any cracking problems with V&H from my dealer or seen any on HD forums. Don't know why they won't fix their problem on the baggers. I decided on Rinehart because the V&H mufflers are a little too loud for me. Nice tone....just a little too loud.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #30

Did I hear Reinharts for a Nomad mac? I think I would lean that way over V&H... or Corbra's for that matter.Cobra 4 into 4's on the Vmax, best sound bar none, but SUCK the hp. like Whitney on the pipe! Hindle is the favorite for that beast. (neighbors hate it...) Never heard of the other. On the other hand, I would have to say you got your mi. out of em' getting them 2nd hand & all. Have seen them shipped for $512 or close to that.
But Reinharts ? I'd do that.