Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #16

I did mine with about 5700 miles and it really woke it up

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
And I don't say this because I'm selling it. But like everybody said, after about 8-9,000 miles (and a little trip) this engine has really opened up. Add the flash and a nice little purr after I debaffled and I find myself asking why am I doing this? Oh, that's right I'm 62 years old, can't flat foot it and am an accident waiting to happen. But still enjoying it. If only I had a garage.
If you have made up your mind to sell, then so be it. If you might be curious about other options, here is one. As stated in a previous post, the Luvernne Lowering link kit works great and allows you to retain stock air shocks. After getting my 2012 Vaq, I wasn't flat-footed when I came to stops either. After installing the links, flatfooted and a little bend in the knee. (Of course I also always wear boots when riding and that helps too) They say that it only drops the rear of the bike about 3/4"-1". And physically that is true, but the result feels like 2. It definitely made a difference for me and several others. You might look into it. Just saying....

Good luck either way,
T
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 11-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #18
Top Contributor

I could flatfoot the Voyager no problem but the weight was the issue for me.

A moments distraction and down it went. A few degrees off kilter when you are stationary and there is no stopping it. All I did was look behind me when stationary and in doing so the bike started to lean. When I realised what was happening I tried to stop it going over and I could not. It went down in slow motion with me trying my best to stop it happening. After 3 years of having a Nomad and 3 years of owning a Voyager it still took me by surprise that I could not stop it.

I now own a 1300 Yamaha V Star that is almost 200 lbs lighter than the Voyager.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I could flatfoot the Voyager no problem but the weight was the issue for me.

A moments distraction and down it went. A few degrees off kilter when you are stationary and there is no stopping it. All I did was look behind me when stationary and in doing so the bike started to lean. When I realised what was happening I tried to stop it going over and I could not. It went down in slow motion with me trying my best to stop it happening. After 3 years of having a Nomad and 3 years of owning a Voyager it still took me by surprise that I could not stop it.

I now own a 1300 Yamaha V Star that is almost 200 lbs lighter than the Voyager.
I've been fortunate that I have not dropped it on pavement. A couple of times rolling out of the shed backwards onto grass but that's about it. But once it's down it IS a bitch to get back up by yourself no matter if you are using the correct method with your butt and legs. So a V Star 1300 is also on my short list of replacements but I've recently started looking at a Victory CC (which is about 125 lbs lighter and 2 inches lower) and a (gulp) Harley Street Glide. I swore I'd never go over to the other side but I may be running out of options with the size of my shed (I know get a bigger one). I don't mind spending the dough for a HD but their reliability still scares me. I've basically had 13 problem free years with Vulcans (1500 FI, 1600 Nomad and the Voyager) so I'm very hesitant. But I have to do something.
2002 Honda 750 A.C.E. (gone)
SCRC 2nd Officer Central Jersey Chapter

Old 11-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #20

I've very much enjoyed all the Vulcan's I've owned, and will keep the Voyager for as long as I possibly can. But it's obvious that there will come a time when the drawbacks of having to maneuver a bike so heavy will outweigh it's appeal. At that time, my intention at the moment is to follow Garry's lead, and clock up a few more (in Garry's case a few hundred thousand more) miles on something like a Super Ténéré or an Africa Twin or some such adventure bike... Squeeze as much riding out of the old body as I can before I have to give up & buy a convertible, or god-forbid a three-wheeler.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2016, 06:51 AM   #21

When the day comes, will probably go to a CanAm Spyder. Much like Mike's bride rides. Still get the sensation, without having to worry about the tip over... Until then, big baggers for me.. Lord willing, many years off and other options may yet reveal themselves...

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 11-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
(Of course I also always wear boots when riding and that helps too)
T

True that..... I can't wear cowboy boots riding the Vaquero like I do on the 'Max.... not enough grip when trying to control the weight. I mostly wear Carolina loggers, my daily work boots also..... tall heals and lugged sole.

If we had room in the garage, we would have kept wife's 1400 Intruder, along with the Vaquero & V-Max. Intruder is only 520 lbs, but the forward pegs let you stretch out pretty good. Not really enough mass to it for all day 2 up riding, but with a good jet kit and individual filters it will do wheelies and burnouts. An absolute blast around town and 1-2 day trips.