Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #196
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NriderUSA
I still stand by the... has your insurance gone down since the "Mandatory seat belts and air bags in all cars"????
So tell me how its gonna affect insurance costs again whether you do or dont wear a helmet.

The only reason my insurance goes down is because the bike is worth less over time. To your point, has it gone down because of ABS, traction control, air bags, or crumple zones? No. The only thing they reward and I use that term loosely, is if the policy holder doesn't collect/put in a claim on the policy and they do not get tickets.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #197
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Insurance is supposed to be a RISK business for the Insurance companies. The way they use our gov't, we are the ones that take the risk, by not reading the fine print on our policies. And have a risk of being dropped after you file a claim.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #198
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Insurance is supposed to be a RISK business for the Insurance companies. The way they use our gov't, we are the ones that take the risk, by not reading the fine print on our policies. And have a risk of being dropped after you file a claim.
And the higher the risk of insuring someone, the higher the premiums.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #199
Advanced Member

Helmets - Yes or No.

Wow, so many opinions and good comments from people. I had to read through 14 pages of this stuff and can't remember everyone I wanted to quote, but singled out two of them.

I like NriderUSA's take on it, page 12:
“Unfortunately we have entered into an era of "If they didn’t or did" something wouldn’t cost so much, this being the only rationalization that can be used to tell others what they can and can’t do.......

The sad part is the same people who actually believe that if everyone wore a helmet in this case would save costs really believe that their cost would go down. Unfortunately as we have seen with the seatbelt mandatory laws and air bag mandatory... doesn’t look like insurance has been reduced in that area either.

So my take..whether it’s smart or not, whether you would or wouldn’t... it’s a freedom of choice we "used" to have ...... so don’t try and blow the ‘it saves money line’ cause it doesn’t.”

And Psychocycle, earlier, on page 7:
“Helmets, seatbelts, walking in neat straight lines, I don't need to think for myself when
Government does it all for me. You want to wear a helmet great, no helmet that's fine with me, but let me make my own choices and don't give me that sh!t that it all adds to the cost of Health Care cause if you do, I’m coming and ripping that Big Mac out of your chubby hand.”

Insurance is never going to go down, so stop with the "it cost me money because you are a vegetable now” comments. I personally don't wear a helmet most of the time simply because "I choose not too". Is it dumb? Absolutely! But it's my choice. <whispers> .......sometimes I don’t even put on safety glasses when I grind something quick at the grinder in the garage..... Am I married with a loving wife at home? Yep. Do I have children? Yep, three loving children (Well ok, 2 ½ really. One hates me half the time because she doesn’t think that I should get mad because she’s laying around the house at 20 years old, not going to college and not working).

If a person wants to argue that people SHOULD wear helmets because it's safer or "don't make the taxpayer pay for their stupidity" or “think of your loved ones at home”, then I say you should really think about giving up your motorcycle and driving a Semi Truck or maybe even an Abrams Tank because it would be safer and you won’t have to worry about being a burden on society and taxpayers due to traumatic injuries (so much for the other guy though, that you hit). I've been riding most of my life and one thing I know is that no matter whose fault the accident is, the biker ALWAYS COMES OUT WORSE OFF, helmet or not. Whether it's slipping on gravel or being T-Boned by an idiot in a car talking on a cell phone, motorcyclist lose.

You see, there is never an end to it. Maybe we should all stay home and not leave the house.

Another thing, especially posted in previous posts, and hearing the same comments my whole life from other people: "I ALMOST always wear a helmet, especially on the highway, but a couple of times on real short rides around town I haven't" or “if it’s really hot out, I might not”. Guess what, if you have to pick a place that was safest to ride without a helmet, PICK THE INTERSTATE HIGHWAY! People in cars aren't going to be running you over on the freeway but they sure will around town! Also, just because it’s hot out, you can’t pick the time of your accident, so if you are worried about other bikers causing your insurance to go up, then remember, you can’t pick the TIME of your accident, that’s why they’re called “accidents”.

Now, for the people that talk about insurance rates going up and costing the taxpayers……… hear me out on this. I for one was brought up to be responsible and “you make your own bed, you lie in it”. Look at how much it is costing the “taxpayer” about people “‘walking away from their houses and mortgages, because they are ‘upside down’ on their mortgages”. Meaning, THEY overpaid for their house and now with the recession and property values being down, they are packing up and moving out, letting the banks take them over, which in turn is backed by our government, so we (the responsible) have to end up paying for their irresponsibility. Now THAT is an injustice!!

I’ll take the dummy (like me) without the helmet on the motorcycle than the neighbor down the street walking away from their mortgage and causing MY property value and the rest of the neighbors property values to go down, any day! Wearing helmets versus not wearing helmets is like religion. No one is right or wrong. Just don’t push your religion / helmet beliefs on another person.

………Just my two cents worth………...

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #200

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
You want to wear a helmet great, no helmet that's fine with me, but let me make my own choices and don't give me that sh!t that it all adds to the cost of Health Care cause if you do, I’m coming and ripping that Big Mac out of your chubby hand.”
Best quote for me. I like the Abrams tank one too. I would like to rent one for a day and NOT wear a helmet. Think how many left turning cell phone users you could just blow off the road with the main gun. YAHOO!!! Lock n' load.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #201
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Helmets - Yes or No.

Some good thoughts Bull Durham and Hammer.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #202

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NriderUSA
I still stand by the... has your insurance gone down since the "Mandatory seat belts and air bags in all cars"????
So tell me how its gonna affect insurance costs again whether you do or dont wear a helmet.

The only reason my insurance goes down is because the bike is worth less over time. To your point, has it gone down because of ABS, traction control, air bags, or crumple zones? No. The only thing they reward and I use that term loosely, is if the policy holder doesn't collect/put in a claim on the policy and they do not get tickets.
My insurance went up over 50% last season, and the bike keeps getting older, All the new safety features that the insurance companies like to insist that we have are there to line their pockets. These features while making things safer never seemed to get passed on to us in savings.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #203
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch

My insurance went up over 50% last season, and the bike keeps getting older, All the new safety features that the insurance companies like to insist that we have are there to line their pockets. These features while making things safer never seemed to get passed on to us in savings.

Mine always went down. I had Progressive. I have Nationwide now, so we'll see next year. If it doesn't go down, I'll switch back.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #204

Helmets - Yes or No.

Insurance companies here play a lot of games, some will only insure the bike or atv if you give them all your business, cars, house, boat, etc. they also charge you for the full twelve months even though you can't ride here that long. Others won't insure bikes, forcing you to look elsewhere, and pay a higher premium.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #205

Helmets - Yes or No.

"I’ll take the dummy (like me) without the helmet on the motorcycle "

You make sense Bull Durham. I'm glad you added your two cents.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #206
Mega-Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Another thing, especially posted in previous posts, and hearing the same comments my whole life from other people: "I ALMOST always wear a helmet, especially on the highway, but a couple of times on real short rides around town I haven't" or “if it’s really hot out, I might not”. Guess what, if you have to pick a place that was safest to ride without a helmet, PICK THE INTERSTATE HIGHWAY! People in cars aren't going to be running you over on the freeway but they sure will around town! Also, just because it’s hot out, you can’t pick the time of your accident, so if you are worried about other bikers causing your insurance to go up, then remember, you can’t pick the TIME of your accident, that’s why they’re called “accidents”.
I have said these things in the past. I know it's illogical to think that riding 3 miles to the store is any safer than riding 1500 miles cross country. Basically it boils down to being a lazy bastard.

While I usually wear a helmet, there are times I don't. I don't believe that a helmet is a magical force field that protects you from harm. I believe a helmet is the difference between an open or closed casket at the funeral. Since I plan to be cremated, that isn't a huge concern of mine.

Motorcycle riding is a dangerous activity on a good day. We all know that. This may sound cavalier, but the day I become so fearful for my safety that I won't leave home without a helmet or full leathers or my lucky rabbits foot is the day I quit riding. Don't give me that horsesh*t about costing the taxpayers money, I am fully insured.

I don't expect anyone else to subscribe to my beliefs on this subject. Presumably we are all adults and capable of forming our own beliefs and opinions on a given matter. If someone doesn't want to ride without their helmet and armored pants and jacket, that's cool. Just don't complain about my choices and I won't complain about yours.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #207

Helmets - Yes or No.

I don't have the choice of not wearing a helmet here.
Some bureaucrat made it for me.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #208
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I don't have the choice of not wearing a helmet here.
Some bureaucrat made it for me.
It was like that when I lived in the People's Republic of NY.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 02-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #209

Helmets - Yes or No.

Have to wear one by law...
But as I got knocked out for half hour and had 9 stiches in my head from falling off my bicycle at 5mph without a lid...
I was really glad I was wearing a full face helmet when I was doing 35mph and an uninsured car driver pulled out and sent me doing my best Superman impression up the road lol!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #210

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza
Have to wear one by law...
But as I got knocked out for half hour and had 9 stiches in my head from falling off my bicycle at 5mph without a lid...
I was really glad I was wearing a full face helmet when I was doing 35mph and an uninsured car driver pulled out and sent me doing my best Superman impression up the road lol!
I've said this before: You protect what's important to you, your head or image?

Really nice looking bars you got there.