Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #166

Glad to see you got it running again. Congratulations!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #167

Hey man Congrats.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 02-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #168

Bad news this morning. Pulled out of the garage, got suited up, turned the key, and that darned pre-ignition "pop" happened again, and it won't fire again. Starter button works, but no fire. They key has to be the pre-ignition "pop." It's happened all 3 times I have had this issue. What can cause the POP? After the engine "pops" I smell gas.

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #169

Damn Jason you have some gremlins for sure in that thing. Good luck.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #170

I'm thinking my carb float level may be too high. Last time I tried to test it per the book's instructions (clear tube turned into a "u" shape beside the float chamber, aux fuel tank into the carb inlet), I couldn't get the fuel level correct, so I just went with the same level as the previousl float. Maybe that was wrong. Anybody have a suggestion? Would this make it "pop"

VBA #02442
VROC Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabrat View Post
I'm thinking my carb float level may be too high. Last time I tried to test it per the book's instructions (clear tube turned into a "u" shape beside the float chamber, aux fuel tank into the carb inlet), I couldn't get the fuel level correct, so I just went with the same level as the previousl float. Maybe that was wrong. Anybody have a suggestion? Would this make it "pop"
Could, how many miles were you able to ride it since you put the new float,/needle and seat in it? My point being if it was too high you probably would have had issues right away like hard starting due to flooding, not several weeks later. My bet is you will find crap in the bowel again.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #172

If what you're calling a "pop" is a back fire then you will smell gas as the fuel vapour goes out the air cleaner rather than in the engine. If you hve a fuel problem you should still have some sign of life when you hit the go button. Only a total blockage will stop it from at least firing............but you are smelling fuel..................and its not flooding fuel out right? And like Norm says if you got the levels wrong you would have had problems right away.
Sounds to me your problem could be electrical.
Go back to basics.............pull a plug lead, attach an old plug to it, ground the plug real good, hit the go button and see if you have spark.

Last edited by muz; 02-20-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #173

Send a message via Yahoo to galax83061
Looks like its time for a bike upgrade. GOOD LORD......
VBA #02024

Old 02-21-2014, 06:07 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax83061 View Post
Looks like its time for a bike upgrade. GOOD LORD......
If that was an option I would've done it already. I have 2 small kids and we are buying a house with 3 times the sq ft as our current townhouse. Another bike
ain't happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Could, how many miles were you able to ride it since you put the new float,/needle and seat in it? My point being if it was too high you probably would have had issues right away like hard starting due to flooding, not several weeks later. My bet is you will find crap in the bowel again.
Thanks norm. I haven't ridden it far actually. Less than 70 miles since last time. Removed plugs last night. See pics. All 4 were bought within last 4 months. There was fuel in both plug tubes too. Sounds to me like I didn't set the float level correct, and the pop is coming from the access fuel igniting. My fuel mileage since last time has dropped significantly into the high 20s. Planning on checking float me el tonight. What do you think?
Pics: 1- left side plugs (front is on the left), 2- right side plugs (front is on left), 4 - front left plug tube, 3- right rear plug tube, 5 - my notes from last night
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1392980634782.jpg (50.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1392980663054.jpg (51.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1392980836065.jpg (35.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1392980851602.jpg (37.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1392980868949.jpg (28.5 KB, 13 views)

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Last edited by Bamabrat; 02-21-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #175

Bama those plugs are dry and lean before You take anything else apart put the plugs back pull the right dog bowl and spray in some chem tool while cranking. Your pop may be a to lean condition.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #176

Thanks Scott,
What's chem tool? Never heard of it. What does it do? I know these bikes are lean from the factory. How do i correct a too-lean condition? The intake is stock. the only aftermarket part are my cobra pipes. I normally use 93 octane fuel from Chevron.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM   #177

Those plugs do look dry, if you were running too much fuel, they would be wet. They look super lean or like they were just put in and not enough running time to be an indicator. If in fact you ran 70 miles since you put those plugs in then they would be showing their true color, which brings us back to super lean. I would take the fuel bowel off that carb and look for crap in it. I suspect since you have had enough crap in the gas to plug up a fuel pump and found your carb full of it, that there is still crud in the tank.
I hope that you have changed your reg gas station.
What ever you do, do one thing at a time and see if it corrects the problem before moving on to something else. If you jump around trying a bunch of things at once, you will have no idea exactly what the issue was that got the bike running again.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Last edited by cnc; 02-21-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Those plugs do look dry, if you were running too much fuel, they would be wet. They look super lean or like they were just put in and not enough running time to be an indicator. If in fact you ran 70 miles since you put those plugs in then they would be showing their true color, which brings us back to super lean. I would take the fuel bowel off that carb and look for crap in it. I suspect since you have had enough crap in the gas to plug up a fuel pump and found your carb full of it, that there is still crud in the tank.
I hope that you have changed your reg gas station.
What ever you do, do one thing at a time and see if it corrects the problem before moving on to something else. If you jump around trying a bunch of things at once, you will have no idea exactly what the issue was that got the bike running again.
Great advice Norm. My reg station is Chevron. When I got the bad gas, I was in an area I wasn't familiar with (i left on my lunch break at work which is 30+ miles from home to get a Christmas present for my 6 yr-old nephew) and had to get gas at a mom-n-pop station with only 87. This area is so populated that there is always 1-2 stations in site. But where I found myself on that day was in the boonies. I don't let my bike get down past 1/2 tank now. This problem that I have now started when I was 1/2 way through that tank that I bought in the boonies.

What should I do about the plugs? Are they still good or do I need to buy another set? I will take apart the float bowl today after testing the level, and I'll see what's inside of the bowl. I'll also empty my tank and see if that stuff is inside again.

I think you hit this one head-on. I just realized something. When I got rid of the tank of bad gas, I put it in my 5-gallon container. My father-in-law poured it out on his land. When he gave me my container back, I forgot to wash it out. I've been using that fuel. I bet there was still crud in it, and now it's back in my system.

VBA #02442
VROC Member

Old 02-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #179

[QUOTE=Bamabrat;556390]If that was an option I would've done it already. I have 2 small kids and we are buying a house with 3 times the sq ft as our current townhouse. Another bike
ain't happening

I feel really bad that you are having so many problems. I hope you get her going soon. Good luck
VBA #02024

Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #180

[QUOTE=galax83061;556434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabrat View Post
If that was an option I would've done it already. I have 2 small kids and we are buying a house with 3 times the sq ft as our current townhouse. Another bike
ain't happening

I feel really bad that you are having so many problems. I hope you get her going soon. Good luck
I have been to the East!!!!
VBA #02024