Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #166

Send a message via Yahoo to chopped
Engine bogging down

ok.... went through the entire wiring harness... all wires are in good working order and so are the connectors. Pulled the TPS off and inspected it.... looked good to me. I don't have an ohm meter to check and see if its actually good or not.

I did pull the Vac sensor off and switched it with the atmospheric sensor being they are the exact same part. I will throw everything back together and see if that might have fixed the problem... if so its a relatively cheap part to replace. If that doesn't work I can only guess that the injectors might still be clogged and only letting enough fuel through to idle and maybe every now and again get some throttle out of it.

Oh Mac.... the Vac Pod was good by the way. I did plug the vac line from the HC to the TB and now the "Flappers" are wide open. Im not concerned about having them closed being the bike is garage kept now! I feel so bad for her being her previous owner neglected the hell out of her!
- TFI
- Frustration!
200Fun Suzuki "Big Single" Chopper
- Rigid
- Springer front end
- Suicide shifter
- Straight pipe
- Gas and Go!

"Work hard... Ride hard... Die hard...." -Me!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #167
Sr. Contributor

Engine bogging down

I think you will need a volt Ohm meter. I bought one anyone else can buy at wallmart.
It is GE made the model number is GE2524.

The reason was to be able to have the same meter as anyone else. It was under 20 bucks.

I have a bunch more VOM's, but this one can match anyone elses.

What is bugging me is the bike ran better and then went back to running poorly.

It has to be electrical, fuel related of still a vac leak.

I don't know if there is passing lamps or not. If there is and the bulbs are 55 watts each and run thru the ignition switch not on a relay, that fries ignition switches.

This cooks the terminals inside the switch, and they break up and cause strange problems as parts float around in the switch.

Also a gob of keys on a fob hanging will wreck the Ignition switch.

Another thing to check is the plug end resistors. If rain water gets to sit around on a parked bike the right rear plug well can fill up with water and then the water in time can get up past the rubber plug resistor seal, and turn the brass parts green and will rust the tiny hair pin clip that grabs the the top spark plug terminal. That makes a high resistance connection, and or if the hair pin is trashed a loose connection.

If a plug well is pretty full of water and heat from running the engine is applied steam gets up in the resistor ends too, and causes the same green crud.

The left ft cly has the same thing happen. It could be worth checking all 4 plug ends.

And if you get the VOM, it might be worth Ohming these as well.

I am begining to run out of ideas.

I have plenty more ideas, but you will need a VOM for them, and they will be deeper.

I may want the new TFI disconnected at a point too. So the stock ECU is the only fuel driving source.

Has the ecu been pulled and the connectors removed for a visual inspection? It's pretty hard for water to get there but it may have. Sand ends up all over mine and inside the battery box.

Is this a Va bike forever? If it came from a place like NH where road salt is used year round in 2 kinds of salt, the dust can cause ECU problems in time.

I take it no red lights stay on with the engine at idle..

Tell us how the bike runs at cold start, how it runs going real easy, everything but how it runs with rolling on throttle hard.

By the way the flappers are wide open shut down...... The HC works exacly backwards in my opinion. Vac operated windshield wipers on cars did too.... Mash down on the gas pedal and the wipers would quit right when you wanted them most.

Anyway a pattern needs to be developed in terms of engine preformance, with hopes towards indicating where this problem lies.

Another thing is the sounds the fuel pump makes, but then you never heard a correct fuel pump run. I am not sure how to relate that idea. With out tooling you can't do a fuel pressure check anyway. It might be an idea to call a dealer and see if they have the tooling for a fuel pressure check, and how much for just that test.

And then if you could be comfortable testing injector spray patterns out doors far from most anything of value, maybe with a big box for a bench, some bungie cords to hold injectors you can see if the patterns are a wide mist which is right, or a pissing drizzel which is wrong.

Maybe the dealers have a test bench too. I have no idea what the dealers have and usually am disappointed with any dealer testing results.

If the dealers have a test bench, and you bring just the injectors there, they can blow varsol thru the injectors, and test them for proper spray patterns.

Don't just buy new injectors. You want to know they are bad and crudlings screw up the proper spray mist. The proper mist is a wide fan cone shape with no large fuel particals in it, and for sure it's not a pissing drizzel.

The injector nozzel is something like a tire scharder valve. A electric magnet pulls the valve pin back up into the injector body, and with fuel under pressure it blows out fuel in the shape I mentioned. Any bits of crud stuck in the valve will cause the pattern to be totaly fubarred.

I can't know if this is worth the time, but it might be. You certainly found a lot of mung in the fuel system.

I am hoping engine preformace at low rpms and with easy roll on shows the engine runs in a certain way, pretty steady I hope. And that the problem is roll on hard related.

Also that something has been missed, and a wire is loose, broken inside the insulation, correded, or making bad inttermitant contact.

Is anything else seemingly wrong? I am looking for anything else wrong, that might be related to over all engine preformance.

I know i wrote a lot, but it might be worth reading everything I said starting on page 7, incase I said something you missed, or i said in a way you don't understand.

My writting style is pretty strange, we all agree on that around here. Ayha'

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #168
Advanced Member

Engine bogging down

Well, I can see that Chopper has more issues that I do. My problem, IMO is now solved. The PCIII was the culprit. I ran the bike for 120km with out a hint of stumbling. Very happy now.

I just want to THANK all of the contributors who helped me in solving my problem. Without you all, I would have had difficulty. I am so glad that I have this forum to be able post a problem and get it solved.

Keep up the good work in keeping this ALIVE, even after the JUDGEMENT day..... LOL!

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Old 05-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #169
Sr. Contributor

Engine bogging down

That's Right! This is May 21st Dooms day at 6:00 pm! Something must be wrong, because my clock says 7:53 PM. I don't feel dead, just damp...... friggin rain...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #170
Advanced Member

Engine bogging down

Ya, just a little soggy here too, but today was a great day for JUDGEMENT day. I know, I was the BIKE!

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #171
Sr. Contributor

Engine bogging down

Yeah I had a little rain going to N Conway, and White Horse Press open house. I even got to test my new rain suit(s) Wifey got one too.

When I got back home the garden rain gauge i dumped this morning showed 5/10th's inch.

Little damp here..... I ain't seen the sun in over 9 days, and have apx 3 inches of rain in that time so far. Still raining....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #172

Engine bogging down

Well I have been rain free all day but haven't had time to mess with the bike... BOO
- TFI
- Frustration!
- Rigid
- Springer front end
- Suicide shifter
- Straight pipe
- Gas and Go!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #173
Sr. Contributor

Engine bogging down

No sun, same ol drizz........... This has to have a ending sometime right? All I see is clouds coming in from the east...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #174
Advanced Member

Engine bogging down

What a day today. BEAUTIFUL. To the baby out for a 2 hour run it was like it was new. Ran flawlessly. VERY VERY HAPPY!

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC

Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #175

Engine bogging down

ok.... got the bike put back together and started her up... zipped the throttle a few times with no problems but being its late at night I can't open her up truly until tomorrow! What a rain free day of no riding! Im hoping to get this thing figured out and the bike registered before my knee surgery Friday... if not I have a couple of weeks to play with it before I go back to work! MAC check you messages!
- TFI
- Frustration!
- Rigid
- Springer front end
- Suicide shifter
- Straight pipe
- Gas and Go!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #176
Sr. Contributor

Engine bogging down

gotcha... see the reply.... You guys got SUN? I got cold drizz again.....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #177

Engine bogging down

SUN ALL DAY and 88!
- TFI
- Frustration!
- Rigid
- Springer front end
- Suicide shifter
- Straight pipe
- Gas and Go!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #178

Engine bogging down

Congradulations to both ou you! I think we all have got our problems under controll now!Thanks to our friends here! Mac if you and you're wife ever head south to find some sunshine you both are welcome at my house! Mike

Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #179

Engine bogging down

oh I had sun all day but no running bike... YOU WIN!
- TFI
- Frustration!
- Rigid
- Springer front end
- Suicide shifter
- Straight pipe
- Gas and Go!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #180
Sr. Contributor

Engine bogging down

I ended up digging a tranch by hand a ways over the lawn, then back hoeing the trench across the road we call driveway, and into the woods a bit. Layin in conduit for a hose and black water pipe (plastic stuff) for the wire to where a switch will be. This will run a pump by the brook to water the lawn. It was cooler and in the rain, which is ok since I don't do hot well. Was a mite buggy though.

Mike thanks for the invite. Not sure when i will get a chance to run out to Tn again. Liked it there for around the 90 days I was. Thats a part of how I crossed the USA. I was a head mod at mcusa over a time, and for that earned some trust. When I said i was going to tour the USA I got 16+ plus invites. I was able to hit around 8 of them.

Some times when the folks knew I was near and that they would be busy elsewhere a while they left me notes and keys to their homes, never once having met me before.

I read the notes and usually when possible parked the bike in plain site and sat on the lawns out back. I never once turned a key. Thar's just some things I won't do.

And with that, no notes said, comon in and grab a cold beer, or I might have been sorely tempted.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac