Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #136
Advanced Member

it's not just Kawasaki......it is the other brands of bikes, at least Japanese bikes, that have the same issues, Ivan flashes ecu modules for Yamaha, Suzuki etc. .....the U.S. EPA standards and requirements for bikes is a bit over the top harsh...thank our politicians for that...in fact, U.S. emissions requirements are even stricter than Euro standards, at least for now. The good news is, the ecu can be reprogrammed. Just think how it would be if they were untouchable....those days may be coming but for now we should all be thankful for people like Ivan.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
it's not just Kawasaki......it is the other brands of bikes, at least Japanese bikes, that have the same issues, Ivan flashes ecu modules for Yamaha, Suzuki etc. .....the U.S. EPA standards and requirements for bikes is a bit over the top harsh...thank our politicians for that...in fact, U.S. emissions requirements are even stricter than Euro standards, at least for now. The good news is, the ecu can be reprogrammed. Just think how it would be if they were untouchable....those days may be coming but for now we should all be thankful for people like Ivan.
I do believe that here in California that will the case. California has shut down the manufactures from selling non certified EPA parts in brick and mortar stores and through the Internet. You can't get "illegal" parts shipped into California because the seller will be fined for them.

I do think that when California gets wind of Ivan's product they will shut him down also. That is why I wanted to do this sooner rather than later.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #138

I live in CA...its easy enough to get all the parts you need...I don't bother with any of the CA certified stuff.

However you do have to do it yourself...not shops will be able to install any of those things....but intake, exhaust, ECU and such are all easy enough to install at home.

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:12 PM   #139
Advanced Member

I have heard that if you want to sell a bike in Ca. you have to do it with the original equipment, specifically smog stuff and converters, etc. and original pipes. In Oregon we can still do anything we want to ours. 38 million peeps in Ca. might have something to do with it. I don't see the ecu re-tune raising any eyebrows in Governor Brown's office anytime soon....although, any of you guys who are golden state residents please enlighten me a little if there is something I'm missing! I was birthed in Ca. but have been an Oregon resident since 1959.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #140

Quote:
I have heard that if you want to sell a bike in Ca. you have to do it with the original equipment, specifically smog stuff and converters, etc. and original pipes. In Oregon we can still do anything we want to ours. 38 million peeps in Ca. might have something to do with it. I don't see the ecu re-tune raising any eyebrows in Governor Brown's office anytime soon....although, any of you guys who are golden state residents please enlighten me a little if there is something I'm missing! I was birthed in Ca. but have been an Oregon resident since 1959.
I sold my 2005 Nomad 9 months ago private party and it was not with the original equipment or smog stuff. I purchased it the same way 15 months prior to that and had no problem registering it then.

That being said they may be doing this now but I'm not aware of this.

I'm leaving my 2015 Voyager stock except for Ivan's flash so if they do start any type of inspections I will not have to change back to pass. I was told that if/when they start it will go back to the year 2000 and up. That was by my local Kawasaki dealer here in town.

You can't buy a new or used bike from another state and bring it in to California unless it has certified California smog equipment installed already.

Quote:
If you have bought a used motorcycle from another state and wish to get it registered within your state, California, you will have to follow a legal process. There are certain CA emission requirements that must be fulfilled. Other than that, you will have to notify the DMV office about your new vehicle and fill out certain forms for registration. For more detailed information, browse through our website.
Above quote from
http://www.onlinedmv.com/buy-sell/bu...alifornia.html

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by JD Hog; 04-23-2016 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Added more information

Old 04-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #141
Advanced Member

Thanks that's along the lines of what I was thinking. Seems Cal has the strictest emissions laws of any state in the lower 48 as far as I know. I was just wondering say, if I sold a modded bike to a private buyer there if Cal. DMV wouldn't register it to the new owner if it wasn't all stock emissions and exhaust on the bike. Makes me glad I live in Oregon although with the present population boom going on here, (UGHH)...things may change in the near future if the liberal democrats that run things here have their way.....heaven forbid!

Old 04-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #142

Quote:
Thanks that's along the lines of what I was thinking. Seems Cal has the strictest emissions laws of any state in the lower 48 as far as I know. I was just wondering say, if I sold a modded bike to a private buyer there if Cal. DMV wouldn't register it to the new owner if it wasn't all stock emissions and exhaust on the bike. Makes me glad I live in Oregon although with the present population boom going on here, (UGHH)...things may change in the near future if the liberal democrats that run things here have their way.....heaven forbid!
Before I bought my Voyager I researched buying from other states because the bike was cheaper. It would not be possible to register it in California so I only looked state wide for my purchase.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #143

At this point there are no laws that have any effect on the sale of bikes between private owners in CA. Nor are there are emissions regulations limiting private owners.

Shops however are not able to sell or install aftermarket parts that effect emissions.

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #144
Advanced Member

Thanks Captkurt, very good to know this. I hope it means there are some good loud pipes running around Ca. these days...

Old 09-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #145

have a question for all that got the flash, do you get any spark knock above half throttle at around 2800rpm and up say like passing someone?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertom View Post
have a question for all that got the flash, do you get any spark knock above half throttle at around 2800rpm and up say like passing someone?
No, mine runs good and I don't get any spark knock any time.

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Old 09-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #147

figures I would be the oddball, an yes before anyone asks 3 tanks of Sunoco 93 ultra

Old 09-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #148

Thumbs Up nipped it in the bud

Quote:
figures I would be the oddball, an yes before anyone asks 3 tanks of Sunoco 93 ultra
Yup, nipped that one in the bud...

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 09-13-2016, 11:05 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKurt View Post
At this point there are no laws that have any effect on the sale of bikes between private owners in CA. Nor are there are emissions regulations limiting private owners.

Shops however are not able to sell or install aftermarket parts that effect emissions.
Yeah, That's what Harley just got sued for isn't it?

hank43

Old 09-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #150

Quote:
update the spark knock seems to have been corrected with more tanks of fuel, must have been one bad batch I got going to Ivans