Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #136

Man Down; Okay though; bike not so much

Greg,
Is there another dealer you could take it to? I don't understand their reluctance to jump on it right away, since if it is totaled by the insurance company, the odds are pretty good you'd buy from them again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #137
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Greg,
Is there another dealer you could take it to? I don't understand their reluctance to jump on it right away, since if it is totaled by the insurance company, the odds are pretty good you'd buy from them again.
I was thinking the same thing, but then again, I've seen to many dealers that shoot themselves in the foot all the time. It's a wonder they stay in business. May be Greg needs to frame it as such. I would reward a dealer with such behavior by buying another bike there. There are too many HD dealers out there and the dealer needs to understand that. If he really is that busy, then he she tell Greg outright that if he wants it done forthwith, then he needs to take it elsewhere. Unless of course the dealer is looking for a dealer convenience fee to expedite things. That wouldn't surprise me either.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #138

After 10-days; they finally have it on the rack this afternoon.

I have been speaking directly to the sales mgr on this issue the last couple days. The HD dealers around here are swamped with riding season just getting into full-swing; and I understand they need the business after a slow winter and have a lot of customers to get to. All the dealers are swamped. I have called.

The sales mgr has guaranteed me a bike for the MV trip even if it is a rental (they are holding one for me; which is nice because the National HOG rally is in this town June 9-12th and all rentals within a 100-miles will be taken that week).

Update on my policy with Foremost:

If the bike is a new bike (mine was) and I insured it with Foremost within 14-days (I did) and it gets totaled within the first 24 months; I get a new replacement bike of equal brand, style, and make of value not to exceed 110% of my purchase price of the original bike. (I thought the replacement clause was for longer than that; but I am at month 22 -- whew!!!)

They will add on as much as $3,500 in aftermarket value for add-ons one might have put on the bike. I only added the air-horn, and the Stage-II air breather... so I am okay there.

Reimburse $1,500 for a DOT helmet if wearing during accident. I told them mine was only $150, so that is what I'll get for it. (Don't know what DOT helmet costs $1,500; but I would like to see that one!)

A bike is totaled when the repairs exceed 80% of the value of the bike. Forgot to ask if that was purchase price or depreciated value. (Todd mentioned that was the norm on totaling a bike.)

The "tech" told me today he was fairly sure the frame was bent some; but not sure about the forks yet; but suspected they were too since most times when the frame is bent, so is the fork. That bodes-well for me toward the bike getting totaled he said; because beyond that; just about everything needs either replaced or painted.

We'll see.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #139

Looks like I get to keep my bike.

The estimate was way below being totaled-out.

After having a "go-around" with the dealer today, I went and had a meeting with the owner. We went over the estimate invoice. I have a few issues with several "parts" that they did not include but I was able to point-out when inspecting the bike there with the owner present.

I told him I was taking the info home and going over it further and would call him tomorrow on what I am going to do and how much more I want replaced that they seemed to miss.

However, even if they agree with me on the additional parts, the estimate will only come to around 50% of the value of the bike; which means it will not be totaled. I am a bit surprised; but the dealer said most of the parts are simply replaceable and bolt-on.

They said the frame and forks were not affected any.

Bad part of the deal is that several of the parts take up to eight-weeks to get.

The owner said he could get the bike ready and prepared in time for MV; but that I would have to keep the current dented tank; and use borrowed saddlebags and a trunk from them for the ride since those parts are what take the longest to get in. I'll probably have multi-colored crap on the bike. I'll look like a circus bike!!!

This sucks royally... and I am not too happy with my dealer at the moment regarding their overall customer service and attitude. I let the owner have it today... and the sales mgr gets it tomorrow.

I will probably trade the bike off as soon as it is fixed... and I may look for another dealer when doing so -- although I am beginning to think they are all b@st@rds!!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #140
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson

After having a "go-around" with the dealer today, I went and had a meeting with the owner. We went over the estimate invoice. I have a few issues with several "parts" that they did not include but I was able to point-out when inspecting the bike there with the owner present.

I told him I was taking the info home and going over it further and would call him tomorrow on what I am going to do and how much more I want replaced that they seemed to miss.

However, even if they agree with me on the additional parts, the estimate will only come to around 50% of the value of the bike; which means it will not be totaled. I am a bit surprised; but the dealer said most of the parts are simply replaceable and bolt-on.

Bad part of the deal is that several of the parts take up to eight-weeks to get.

The owner said he could get the bike ready and prepared in time for MV; but that I would have to keep the current dented tank; and use borrowed saddlebags and a trunk from them for the ride since those parts are what take the longest to get in. I'll probably have multi-colored crap on the bike. I'll look like a circus bike!!!

This sucks royally... and I am not too happy with my dealer at the moment regarding their overall customer service and attitude. I let the owner have it today... and the sales mgr gets it tomorrow.

I will probably trade the bike off as soon as it is fixed... and I may look for another dealer when doing so -- although I am beginning to think they are all b@st@rds!!!!
Are you going to stick with HD? If so, complain to them as well.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #141

Quote:

The problem with Kegal HD is that 40 years ago they were the third oldest HD dealer in the world on Auburn Street in Rockford. It was a small place somewhat dumpy. Now Kegal is the oldest HD dealer in the world with a superstore. They are now pretty much disconnected from their Customers. Seem they put a higher priority on selling food at their diner.

Most of the HD guys I know back in Northern Illinois take the short ride to Janesville, Wi. and deal with a small HD dealer called Kutter.

You might want to talk to them if you are going to trade up.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #142

I know what you mean Stan.

I am familiar with Kutter's; and go there occasionally. Have never had a bad experience with them; although I still feel to some degree they all have somewhat of an attitude.

I spoke with Karl and Mark Kegel today. They received an ear-full from me. Both were trying to bend-over backward to appease me; but by then the damage was done as far as how their people treated me.

I had the same experience with another issue on my bike and has to go directly to HD in Milwaukee. HD took care of me almost instantly.

So... I am speaking again to them in the morning with my list of additional parts and see if they'll agree with me that these need replacing. I just don't think their people looked the bike over good enough for my taste.

I'll see. If I am not happy, I'll haul it to Kutter and get a second appraisal. Foremost insurance allows me to do so; and as many would guess... I do have a trailer to haul it in.

If I buy a new bike, I will seriously consider going up to Kutter's. When I get really p!ssed I like to follow through with my words. ;)

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #143
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I know what you mean Stan.

I am familiar with Kutter's; and go there occasionally. Have never had a bad experience with them; although I still feel to some degree they all have somewhat of an attitude.

I spoke with Karl and Mark Kegel today. They received an ear-full from me. Both were trying to bend-over backward to appease me; but by then the damage was done as far as how their people treated me.

I had the same experience with another issue on my bike and has to go directly to HD in Milwaukee. HD took care of me almost instantly.

So... I am speaking again to them in the morning with my list of additional parts and see if they'll agree with me that these need replacing. I just don't think their people looked the bike over good enough for my taste.

I'll see. If I am not happy, I'll haul it to Kutter and get a second appraisal. Foremost insurance allows me to do so; and as many would guess... I do have a trailer to haul it in.

If I buy a new bike, I will seriously consider going up to Kutter's. When I get really p!ssed I like to follow through with my words. ;)
I know what you mean with your last sentence: Integrity. I find it unusual that a dealer/repair place with low ball an appraisal. usually they will right it up as bad as they can. What and how they fix it may be another, but I am only speaking from my own experiences. May be you can give Willie G a all and he can straighten all of this out. ;)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #144

If I could get a hold of Willie at his Wisconsin lake-house I would at this very moment!!!

I think the low-ball wasn't intentional. I don't think the idiots looked closely enough at the bike. Like I said, I pointed out a couple things they missed with the owners standing right there. They agreed with me to add those items.

They tried to tell me... "Oh... we would see stuff like that when we clean the bike up and start removing parts. We just call the insurance company and tell them we discovered more things. It won't be a problem."

I say BS!!! They wouldn't even start on the bike until they get the parts in; which they told be would take weeks (up to 8 for some).

Then if they discover something else; it would be several more weeks to wait on those parts. It would August before this thing gets done.

I really let them have it today. That was such a BS answer to cover for their employee's lack of concern and skill in appraising a bike.

I told them they had better get the heads back in the game or people like me will not return... and someday they'll wonder where the heck their customers went.

Signed....

Really ticked-off! :(" title="" border="0"/>

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #145
Top Contributor

Don't hold back Greg....tell us what you really think!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #146
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
If I could get a hold of Willie at his Wisconsin lake-house I would at this very moment!!!

I think the low-ball wasn't intentional. I don't think the idiots looked closely enough at the bike. Like I said, I pointed out a couple things they missed with the owners standing right there. They agreed with me to add those items.

They tried to tell me... "Oh... we would see stuff like that when we clean the bike up and start removing parts. We just call the insurance company and tell them we discovered more things. It won't be a problem."

I say BS!!! They wouldn't even start on the bike until they get the parts in; which they told be would take weeks (up to 8 for some).

Then if they discover something else; it would be several more weeks to wait on those parts. It would August before this thing gets done.

I really let them have it today. That was such a BS answer to cover for their employee's lack of concern and skill in appraising a bike.

I told them they had better get the heads back in the game or people like me will not return... and someday they'll wonder where the heck their customers went.

Signed....

Really ticked-off! :(" title="" border="0"/>
8 weeks is farking ridiculous. I would want to know why. it's not like they have to order parts from Japan, China, Bologna or Berlin, do they? Unreal. Shoot, if you want to be real dramatic, put it on a trailer and take up to home base in milwaukee and say, I ain't satisfied with your freaking dealer, you fix it! 8 Weeks?!
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #147

Production has been cut to the minimum at HD. They are using on-demand production so extra stock is at the bare minimum.

Plus you are probably right... some of these things have to come all the way from Japan or China on a boat and they haven't been made yet either... so eight weeks seems about right.

You would think they would have a warehouse of these things for this purpose; but evidently not.

Really ticked at the moment still...

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 05-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #148
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Production has been cut to the minimum at HD. They are using on-demand production so extra stock is at the bare minimum.

Plus you are probably right... some of these things have to come all the way from Japan or China on a boat and they haven't been made yet either... so eight weeks seems about right.

You would think they would have a warehouse of these things for this purpose; but evidently not.

Really ticked at the moment still...
I didn't know HD went JIT. It makes sense from a business standpoint, but not from a repair standpoint. I see the used parts market getting stronger...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #149
Top Contributor

Greg,

Call Foremost and ask them about doing a constructive total loss on your bike.......the cost for the bike less the salvage they can get for it may in fact be less than the repairs with the additional damages found.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #150

I sure have learned a lot following this thread... thanks for all the info.
KawaNOW #01650
Bell City Riders #21
SCRC 329
2010 Nomad (The Beast)

Previous Bikes
2008 - 900 Vulcan Classic
1958 HD HydraGlide