Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-29-2022, 07:59 PM   #1

Coolant dripping from a hose during storage?

Hello all. I replaced the radiator on my 08 Nomad 1600 this past Summer. After a lot of research on here, I filled the system with Honda Blue Coolant. Bike ran perfectly the rest of the Summer. Fan cycled properly and zero issues with overheating whatsoever. I put the ole girl into storage covered in jy barn. Barn is not heated, but completely out of the elements. Today it got up to about 50 so I went out to take a peak at her. I was surprised to see about a 6" circle of coolant on the concrete directly below a small hose that seems to run up to the rear of the water pump housing. I squeezed the tiny hose and sure enough that is where the drips are coming from. Anyone know why coolant would drip from this hose? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2022, 09:12 PM   #2

What is a jy barn?

Old 12-29-2022, 09:52 PM   #3

Sorry, supposed to say "my barn"

Old 12-29-2022, 10:10 PM   #4

After some extensive research on here, I'm thinking it's the water pump mechanical seal starting to go. Apparently that's a weap hose. If there's oil coming out of that hose it's the inner oil seal going which is apparently far worse. Complete engine tear down from what I've read. If it's just coolant, it's the mechanical water pump seal which seems far easier to replace. Anyone ever had to replace this seal? Any other parts/gaskets I will have to order besides the mechanical seal itself?

Old 12-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #5

If it leaks when you squeeze it, then either the hose is split, or not tight enough on the pump housing. Dont go off, inventing problems mate.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2022, 09:29 AM   #6
Top Contributor

My Nomad would drip a little coolant after it had been stored all winter. After the first couple of rides the dripping would stop.

Old 12-30-2022, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
If it leaks when you squeeze it, then either the hose is split, or not tight enough on the pump housing. Dont go off, inventing problems mate.
It's not the big hose that attaches to the pump housing itself, it's the tiny hose that comes down behind the frame. It's dripping out the end of it.

Old 12-30-2022, 11:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
My Nomad would drip a little coolant after it had been stored all winter. After the first couple of rides the dripping would stop.
Did it have antifreeze in it ?

Old 12-30-2022, 03:58 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Did it have antifreeze in it ?
Yes

Old 12-30-2022, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes
So, not expansion and contraction then.

Old 12-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
So, not expansion and contraction then.
My guess is the water pump seals shrinks and leaks when the bike is stored for a long time then swells and seals when the bike is used in the Spring.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
My guess is the water pump seals shrinks and leaks when the bike is stored for a long time then swells and seals when the bike is used in the Spring.
I think the original poster, had not yet started his bike, since winter storage.I was thinking, maybe the water in the hose, froze and expanded. Loosening It around the fitting.Then leaked as it thawed ?

Old 12-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtascone View Post
It's not the big hose that attaches to the pump housing itself, it's the tiny hose that comes down behind the frame. It's dripping out the end of it.
I missunderstood. That is the overflow from the header/top up tank, behind the right side cover. And it should only leak if the engine overheats, and comes under pressure..