Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-15-2022, 10:10 AM   #1

Waving No high/low beam

My headlight ( Daymaker )on my VN1500G does not come on.
LED headlight removed and tested, good
Fuse checked, good
Replaced fuse box, and test made both sides on fuse, good
Replaced high/low beam/indicator switch/horn assembly
Sprayed all connections with Electrical Cleaner
New battery
Replaced charging system and harnesses 3years ago

(A) Am I missing something
(b) Is there an easy fix

Bike goes to a new home Monday and I think she mad at me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Patriot; 09-15-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Old 09-15-2022, 01:32 PM   #2

in the fuse box is a built in relay which turns on the headlight voltage when the bike is started. The signal comes from the stator so that MAY be going bad. I have a Nomad which has 2 stators so I could switch the connectors and get mine running in a pinch. I don't think the 1500G's have 2 stators to test that theory, you would know better.

Old 09-16-2022, 05:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgar View Post
in the fuse box is a built in relay which turns on the headlight voltage when the bike is started. The signal comes from the stator so that MAY be going bad. I have a Nomad which has 2 stators so I could switch the connectors and get mine running in a pinch. I don't think the 1500G's have 2 stators to test that theory, you would know better.
The G does have 2 stators, same as all the Nomads. Both my 1998 G1 and 1999 G2A have them.

Old 09-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
The G does have 2 stators, same as all the Nomads. Both my 1998 G1 and 1999 G2A have them.
So with the knowledge that there are 2 stators pull off the left side cover where you find them and the Clutch Slave Cylinder. Find the 2 connectors for the stators and swap them, then start the bike. Inspect all the electrical connections in that area, sometimes they can be melted.
If the problem is the signal from the stater then the headlight should function connected to the other side and the bike started. Assuming of course the PO hasn't already swapped them.
Remember, start the bike, headlights don't work until the starter has been pushed.
In my case I found the inner stator the culprit so I am limping along until I can afford Rick's stators. I am doing both since it is a 20 y/o bike as well as their corresponding rectifiers. You can find cheaper on Ebay but don't recommend them. People have reported spotty results

Old 09-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
So with the knowledge that there are 2 stators pull off the left side cover where you find them and the Clutch Slave Cylinder. Find the 2 connectors for the stators and swap them, then start the bike. Inspect all the electrical connections in that area, sometimes they can be melted.
If the problem is the signal from the stater then the headlight should function connected to the other side and the bike started. Assuming of course the PO hasn't already swapped them.
Remember, start the bike, headlights don't work until the starter has been push
In my case I found the inner stator the culprit so I am limping aloricsng until I can afford Rick's stators. I am doing both since it is a 20 y/o bike as well as their corresponding rectifiers. You can find cheaper on Ebay but don't recommend them. People have reported spotty results
I have heard this before, from other owners. My headlights worked without the engine running, What vehicle doesn't ? And as far as i recall, there are 2 different colour plugs for the stators. 1 black, 1 white.That tells me, that swapping them over, might not be such a simple fix I had all kinds of shit with my electrics. Enough to make me sell the fucking thing. Good luck to you mate

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #6

by design the headlight doesn't light up, all other running lights do, until the starter button is pushed on Vulcans. So a turn of a key should NOT engage the headlight. If it was rewired previously that may be a sign the previous owner had an issue and put a band aid on it with a simple wire jumper. Regardless, sounds like you have decided your future plans with the bike. Enjoy and keep them wheels on the ground!!!

Old 09-16-2022, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
by design the headlight doesn't light up, all other running lights do, until the starter button is pushed on Vulcans. So a turn of a key should NOT engage the headlight. If it was rewired previously that may be a sign the previous owner had an issue and put a band aid on it with a simple wire jumper. Regardless, sounds like you have decided your future plans with the bike. Enjoy and keep them wheels on the ground!!!
I have had 2 of these, and, neither has behaved as y
ou describe

Old 09-17-2022, 02:43 AM   #8

Refer to pg 15-41 of the Service Manual. It explains how it works