Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-13-2021, 01:56 AM   #1

Wont Start

Hi guys, hope you can help me out with a problem on my 2005 Nomad 1600. Bike has little use and spends long periods garaged with battery tender attached. Bike has never ever missed a beat and has always started first time. Today, after quite a long period of standing (quite typical for me) I tried to start her but would not start. The battery seemed fine, turning over well, but not a hint of life. The gauges made a clean sweep and settled before i tried to start her. Then the red FI light came on together with the FI light low in the cluster. After a few attempts at starting, when I had switched off/on the ignition, the bike would still not start, but both lights went off after the initial sweep of the instruments. During the initial instrument sweep I can hear the noise from the pump, but Im not sure its as loud as I remember, but that could be my bad memory, not sure. I dont know where to start to figure out the problem, any ideas guys?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #2

Have you checked battery voltage and cleaned & tightened the battery terminals & connections?
Battery should be at least 12.6V to 14V when fully charged with no load - if it's less than 12.6V with no load it's likely dropping below 12V when you engage starter, bike will still turn over but may not have enough voltage to fire the ignition coil(s) igniter(s) to start.

If terminals are clean & tight and voltage checks out to be good - then you may have a bad coil(s) igniter(s). Here's the troubleshooting guide from service manual

Last edited by tcat; 06-13-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #3

Is the headlight on when you crank?
It will pull power away from ignition when the battery is low.
Try pulling the headlight fuse and then try to start it.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:42 PM   #4

Wont Start

Ok guys, this is where I am now. FI light on permanently together with the FI symbol in the bottom cluster. Ive managed to read the fault code and it 45, fuel pump. I was suspecting this as the sound priming did not seem right. I pulled plugs after start attempts and they were good but bone dry and no smell of fuel. Ive now got the tank off, drained and the fuel pump out. It doesn't look great, the coiled protective plastic covering the wiring is crumbling, with fragments dropping into the tank. Im going to replace it and hope to cure the problem. I know that its not 100% certain to be the answer, but I'm feeling its the way to go after reading other stories of fuel pump problems. I will come back with the results of my work, thanks.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #5

Here's a link to download a Nomad service manual if you need it.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/98...ad.html#manual

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-14-2021, 06:52 AM   #6

Thanks guys, ive just found out the cost of a fuel pump, WOW!!!! Has anyone got a source to buy at a decent price 49040-0008. In the UK here I have been quoted over

Old 06-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #7

I bought one of these about 3yrs ago. Kawasaki prices are ludicrous.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Gas-...item3b5635494cThis was for a carbed bike though. I th
ink the FI bikes have the pump inside the tankhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224376689018?epid=2036334133&hash=item343de4917a:g :eqYAAOSwthpd5hRK

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-KAWA...RoCB-QQAvD_BwE

Last edited by mick56; 06-14-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phot View Post
Thanks guys, ive just found out the cost of a fuel pump, WOW!!!! Has anyone got a source to buy at a decent price 49040-0008. In the UK here I have been quoted over
Unbelievable isn't it.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/search/part/49040-0008

Old 06-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #9
Top Contributor

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...274#post637274

Old 06-14-2021, 02:09 PM   #10

Thanks guys, I have ordered the Quantum pump and will do the replacement as described. Have the tank off, pump out ready to work on as soon as the replacement arrives.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
Top Contributor

I remember a long time ago it was discussed that a pump from a car was the same part as the Kawasaki part and it was a Mitsubishi brand pump from a Japanese car but I don't remember which brand.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
......Mitsubishi brand pump from a Japanese car but I don't remember which brand.
I think it was Mitsubishi Lancer.....I think...........Mike

Old 06-15-2021, 03:48 AM   #13

Yes, Ive read about that. The pump has both the Kawasaki part number and the Mitsubishi part number on it. I was told it was from a Mitsubishi Galant. However, the Quantum is a reasonable cost and direct fit I'm told, so will see how it goes.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:15 PM   #14

Well, the Quantum fuel pump arrived from highflowfuel in record time FedEx, less than a couple of days, cant fault them. The kit comes with many items which are not used, however I did use pump, filter, cable, grommet and small O ring, plus the large O ring seal to the tank. I cleaned everything well and quickly spun the pump to confirm it worked. Then I reassembled everything back on the bike. I cant say I hit any problems along the way, other than the fuel connector to the tank, always gives me a headache, a worm drive clip would be so much easier. A trip to the petrol station to get a couple of gallons fresh fuel and it was time to give her a try. I turned the ignition on and off a couple of times to hear the pump run and prime, sounded much better, like it used to. The instruments all looked good, battery fine and no error lights. Pressed the starter and she burst into life, first crank. Checked for any leaks and to confirm I hadn't forgotten anything, then warmed her up until the fan cut in. To say I was pleased would be an understatement. I could have spent

Old 06-17-2021, 02:35 PM   #15

Result