Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

Mean Streak Engine in a Nomad?

My 2008 Nomad 1600 seems a little underpowered. Has anyone put a Mean Streak engine in a Nomad?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Rather than doing an engine swap an aftermarket fuel processor and aftermarket intake would perk up the power somewhat.

Others will be along to answer your questions in detail.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #3

Get yourself a low restriction air cleaner, they come in diff. shapes and sizes, though I prefer the one by Chuckster. Plain, simple, and to the point. Looks great!
Get yourself a good performance exhaust, either Vance and Hines, or one of the others. While you are at it, install the coasters, plug off your vacuum solenoids and remove them. If not a full exhaust, get rid of the Cat. converter where all the crap joins between the 2 pipes, and run some low restriction mufflers. Theres a ton of them out there....sportster mufflers are nice and low cost.
Find yourself a EFI Tuner, several folks make them, this will allow you to richen the mixture to take advantage of your new intake and exhaust.
The last thing is to install Iridium Plugs for your 1600. Blow out from around your plugs good to keep crap outta your engine, gap them, install with a small amt. of anti seize on the threads.
With these improvements, your allowing the engine to breathe, the efi controller your richening the mix so the engine can run cooler, breathe better, and with the iridiums, burn your mixture cleaner, and they help resist fouling of all types....
You can pick up as much as 15-25 horses, maybe slightly more depending on your tweaks and if your a experienced tuner....
Others will be by to add some more stuff...but this is the mainstay of the 1500/1600 hopup....
And if I were to do this, I would add a pair of performance coils. Adding better coils to the mix makes these bikes feel so much more peppy....the starting of the bike, hot or cold, is so much quicker.
And before you go bitchen that it won't pass emissions tests....I've seen these pass, making more power, you just gotta adjust your tuner correctly.
We've pretty well covered this may times before, so the search button here is your best friend.
If you can't or don't know how to adjust it (your EFI Contoller), (its not that hard), you can take it by any performance bike shop that does Metric VTwins....they'll do it for a small price....

If your still on the Puttin the MS Engine into the Nomad thing, our very own MAS has done this many times. He can talk you thru it. Its practically a bolt in. You will have to change over the MS's single stator and regulator to the Nomads 2 stators and regs....MAS can tell you what you need....
Besides the MS having better performance goodies from the start, the MS gearbox is slightly geared down, allowing it to rev quicker and harder. Pulling the extra weight of the Nomad, theres a performance enhancement of that gearing, but, it'll run out slightly quicker on top end.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 01-31-2020 at 02:17 AM.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #4

i have the meanie motor in my nomad. but mine isnt stock either. the mean streak motor had heads ported and polished, thunder mfg cams, ported intake and throttle body. barnett clutch and heavy springs to get the power down.
i added the power commander 5 along with the auto tune kit in mine with a combo of cobra true dual head pipes into v&h slash cut cans. its a handful! lol
i agree with dragonlady for sure,
but my stock motor needed 2nd gear so i opted this route. sure is fun!

Old 01-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #5

Everyone forgets that the MS trans is geared lower.

That’s where a large portion of the difference is.

I’ll send you a set of MS 1500 heads and cams for $400 plus shipping.
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
engine compatibility, engine swap