Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

Pac-swi

Anyone had any issues with the PAC-SWI losing its settings?

Mine seems intermittent.
1. I push button for volume up, sometimees it goes up, sometimes volume goes down.
2. I push button to advance track, noth8ng happens.

I’m using a Kenwood head unit. Think I may have to pull the fairing and reprogram the PAC unit. Maybe the PAC unit has gone off the reservation?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Advanced Member

PAC don't lose settings - especially only some. I would tend to think if I PAC was to break it would be an all or nothing thing.

Check your wiring to ensure all connections are secure including resistors. I am not sure if you soldered or used posi tap. But most issues seem to be with install, not unit. Also check the main harness connector is securely pushed into unit. The fact that you are stating that your volume and advance are the only things that don't work I would start there.

You can test your theory by temp assigning any other button(s) that selection.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Thanks Lumberjack. That kinda confirms my thinking on it. It did work fine when they first installed it at the shop. I’ve been reading about how to program that unit and will dig into it today. Gotta remove the fairing, which I hate doing. I’ll report findings.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
Advanced Member

You don't "program" the PAC SWI-CP5 unit. It works with resistors so it changes the signal of each button push. You do initially set it up but it won't ever lose those settings. The only things that can happen is an open circuit or button breaks. There is one you can actually program but I don't recommend it. I wrote the original thread BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsurfur View Post
Thanks Lumberjack. That kinda confirms my thinking on it. It did work fine when they first installed it at the shop. I’ve been reading about how to program that unit and will dig into it today. Gotta remove the fairing, which I hate doing. I’ll report findings.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #5

Ok, so I started with the switch housing rather than remove the fairing. There a fair amount of moisture in there. I sprayed some MAF sensor cleaner, which has alcohol in it, and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Took the air hose and spent some time blowing it out. Turned on the key, and the volume up-down-mute function works fine. The middle button still doesn’t advance the song or change the source, but suspect it will work once it’s completely dry. Here’s hoping anyway. Now I want to figure out a way to silicone the housing to keep moisture out, or at least most moisture. Rain every day here in Nashville, so no riding. I’m gonna leave the housing opened up so it can dry more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
You don't "program" the PAC SWI-CP5 unit. It works with resistors so it changes the signal of each button push. You do initially set it up but it won't ever lose those settings. The only things that can happen is an open circuit or button breaks. There is one you can actually program but I don't recommend it. I wrote the original thread BTW
The word program is in the PAC online manual. Step 3 on page 4 “Programming the SWI...” I guess that’s why I used it t to. It’s all good, though. I do appreciate the info and input on this. I searched the forums for PAC and nothing came up.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #7

So after drying it out pretty well, I used some clear silicone and coated the edges of the casing, and also used a layer of electrical tape around the handle bar, as a kind of gasket. Hoping to seal out as much moisture as possible in the future. I did test it before putting it back together, and the volume up/down/mute function is working properly. The middle button (song advance and source change) still isn’t working. Maybe it’s not totally dry, who knows.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #8

Good conversation!

Enjoy,
Smokier

Old 02-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #9
Advanced Member

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...t=44138&page=2

It would be nice if a mod made this a sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsurfur View Post
The word program is in the PAC online manual. Step 3 on page 4 “Programming the SWI...” I guess that’s why I used it t to. It’s all good, though. I do appreciate the info and input on this. I searched the forums for PAC and nothing came up.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...t=44138&page=2

It would be nice if a mod made this a sticky
It is now a sticky

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #11

Sun is out, 42 degrees. I’m ridin today (for testing purposes, of course!) because the rain returns later today, and for the next 2 days.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #12

[QUOTE I’m ridin today (for testing purposes, of course!) ][/QUOTE]

It's Ok to tell yourself that,

Let us know how it went, I am still shoveling snow. Lucky you

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 02-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #13

Volume up/down/mute works fine. That other button not so much.