Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #1

NTM 1700 Nomad

Finally got out for a bit on the new bike . Thoughts and ?s are sure seams smaller than the 1500 nomad . bars and floorboards are Close . Ideas ? Height is slightly uncomfortable but I have the Luverne Links ready to go on . 1st gear is short . Like the cruise rpm points . tank feels huge ! turn signal switch is stiff and windshield is short even at the highest setting . like the gear indicator because I should not use them all during normal off highway riding . Okay Now Pointers cheap seat options (until I recoupe from the Purchase and add ons ) . Windshields You Like ? Ivan Flash to come asap has Cobra 2000r on it with Thunder intake and breather & Cobra slash cut duals . TIA Oh Yea What Cup fits the Kury drink holder with the net and little rubber Titties ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Top Contributor

In my opinion there are no cheap solutions if the stock seat bothers you.
Seeing as you have barely ridden the bike yet I would wait and try the stock seats first.
I bought the Kawasaki gel seats which (for me) were a waste of money and I ended up sending the stock seats to Daylong for modification. When the Daylong seats came back I sold the gel seats.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

I have a Clearview shield on my Vaquero. Biggest reason was the re-curve on the top of the shield. it is like 2 extra inches that really is not there. But she likes it that way. Uhhum.
Not sure if they make one for the Nomad, but if they do I would look at them. They are very thick, sturdy and you can get a vent in them. Nice on long trips and in the round town in the heat.

Yes the 1700s are smaller than the 1500. I had a 1500 classic for 10 years. Only way to sit back some is to have your stock seat trimmed or get a Corbin. Corbin's sit you back and down. Mustang same back, but up some. OOPS, Not sure that will translate correctly for a Nomad. I think you have the 2 piece seat that the Voyager has?

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
…………………... I ended up sending the stock seats to Daylong for modification. When the Daylong seats came back I sold the gel seats.
That darn Daylong seat will spoil ya. Least it has me.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:15 AM   #5

Greetings,

(IMO) The IVANs is a must, like any other vehicle maint: oil, brakes, etc.
Another vote for the RDL (Russell Day Long)!
Another vote for the ClearView with recurve, or the Cee Baily is a good brand.
Don't know about the cup holder sorry.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #6

I went through a whole thing trying to get the stock seat to sit me lower. I sent it off to get it modified and hated it. Bought Sargent and Mustang seats and they both raised me well over and inch so I had to tip toe. They both went back. I happen to like the comfort of the stock seat as is and I can live with the height so I ended up buying a used/new one off a new bike removal and am back to where I started. I can go all day on the stock seat so now I'm leaving well enough alone. I'd consider lowering it but this bike already has turning clearance issues and I don't want to make it worse. If I was to try another aftermarket I'd probably go with a Corbin. They would have to guarantee me that it would not sit me higher though, because they absolutely take no returns.
Ivan's ECU reflash
Chuckster's Risers
Chuckster's Badge Plate
Chuckster's Trailer Hitch
Custom Shaped and Cut Lowers

Last edited by terryd; 02-18-2019 at 03:27 PM.