Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Weird burnt rubber smell

Okay I finally had to shoot the question. Does anyone who has a Vaquero like me and maybe this applies to other 1700 Vulcans, when my bike is warming up there is a sort of burning rubber-like odor coming up from the engine bay area when it starts getting warm have any idea where this could be coming from or what the root cause is? There is never any indication of any performance glitch from this but is weird and kind of annoying please share if anyone has any remedy or info on this so I will know where to start. Thanks.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Top Contributor

When you get the smell is the bike warming up while stationary or are you moving ?

Old 12-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Advanced Member

When it is warming...once under way the smell dissipates. I am going to yank the tank and look around everywhere on and around the engine to see if a rubber based component may be rubbing the engine somewhere. 22,000+ miles so far otherwise zero issues. If I find something I will pass it on.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
Top Contributor

If I remember correctly the early 1700's had a recall for a wiring issue near the headstock ? I am not sure if that applied to your 2012 Vaquero.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #5

I have the same smell and I have had the recall that fixed the wire problem. I still have the smell. For a long time, I thought it was my right heel. I have not smelled it for a month or so but the temps local are way drown from the 100's. I just figure it is the nature of the beast. I keep it clean and check the multi connection grounds to ensure they are not lose or dirty and connectors are not melting. It has never had any problems.

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Advanced Member

TX thanks. I did a wiring harness inspection last year right up to the steering head and around the ignition, did a little extra insulating around the wires where they join the ignition and could find nothing else. No probs as mentioned in the running of the bike I guess something we just learn to live with. It seems to go away after I mount the bike and ride off and stays down throughout the day even on warm days.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #7

Yes, occasionally that smell registers with me as well. No smoke, no issues, just the smell for a little bit. Haven't found anything during cleaning and checks.
If you find it, keep us posted...

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 12-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Such a weird thing glad I am not the only one who has seen this. Next time I get the tank off I will inspect everything like I said and see what I can come up with. There may be a rubber hose up on top of the motor that rests up on the valve cover that may be the culprit.