Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Air kits

I have an 06 Nomad. I have a k&n filter on the left side, fi2000 fuel programmer and cobra true-duals. My question to you guy's is, if I get an air kit to move the K&N filter to the right side would I notice much gains in torque, feeding air from the right side opposed to the left where my K&N is now? Just wondering if the gain would be worth it. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

Considering you already have an aftermarket exhaust and fuel processor on the bike,
and even though a right side air kit would allow a little more air in,
I wouldn't expect a significant change in performance from what you have now.

JMO

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 01-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Yes ! The Only Downside is it is Louder . Take the right dog bowl off and go for a short ride that will show you how it sounds but you will not realize the power until you tune it .And Then Hang On !

Old 01-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #4

So vulcanscott , you think the torque gains would be quite a bit more moving my K&N filter to the right side? I just don't want to buy one and not notice a difference.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #5

go to Gadgets Fix It Page and search Cadman Mod You can leave everything just like it is spend about 20.00 for a cheap Spectre filter kit at your local auto parts stick it on the right side adjust the controller settings and try it . if you do not like it take it back off .if you do leave it as is or finish it off with a nice kit . gives you a chance to see what it does without a major investment or a lot of work . You can also search our website for it too. lots of options out there

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #6

Just My Thoughts !

Old 01-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #7

Thanks! Good idea!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
Advanced Member

i think your gains will be disappointing, you may gain another 4 or 5 HP but for torque maybe nothing

Old 01-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #9

You will notice it IF you use a good flowing air cleaner/filter.

I have a Chuckster's backing plate with a 6" automotive 360 degree 3" tall open element filter on my Nomad.

I tried closing part of it up to tone down some of the sound, but couldn't stand the loss of performance.

Drawing air through the intake tube from the left side warms the intake charge and restricts the flow.
VBA 936

Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #10

I was under the impression, that the crossover tube needs removing to get the full benefit of a right hand side intake. Air straight into the carb/injector,instead of travelling all around the place like a fart.I certainly noticed the difference when i did it.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I was under the impression, that the crossover tube needs removing to get the full benefit of a right hand side intake. Air straight into the carb/injector,instead of travelling all around the place like a fart.I certainly noticed the difference when i did it.
No need to remove the cross over tube since air takes the path of least resistance.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
No need to remove the cross over tube since air takes the path of least resistance.
That being,straight from the filter to the carb,in my case.I fail to see the benefit of sending it through the crossover tube,where a load of it will be sent back out from where the original set up,designed it to come in from .All the while it's fucking around,it's losing pressure. As i understand it,getting fresh air,under a certain amount of pressure,that matches the amount of fuel,is what an engine thrives on.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I was under the impression, that the crossover tube needs removing to get the full benefit of a right hand side intake.
The air is going straight into the engine when you do the right hand side intake so the cross over tube in not being used so no need to remove it unless you want to.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 01-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #14

If I move my K&N to the right side, is it hard to remove the crossover tube?

Old 01-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
The air is going straight into the engine when you do the right hand side intake so the cross over tube in not being used so no need to remove it unless you want to.
Unless you blank off the Backing plate,where the crossover comes in from the left,you are going to be having conflicting airflow.You might just as well not bother.In fact,you would be sucking air out of the system,rather than forcing it in.The bike would be running like a bag of shit,while it figured out wtf was going on.I kept both dog bowls,and can sit a spacer behind the right one to get more air,if i please.