Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

Nomad Questions: Brakes and Tachometer

I have a couple questions for the group and could use some advice.

First and most importantly is the Rear brake on my 1700 Nomad. I cannot feel, hear, or otherwise detect any drag on the brakes, but the smell of hot brake shoes is quite noticeable upon exiting the freeway. I have tracked this down to the rear brake getting hot but cannot seem to locate any issue.

Secondly, I just added the Kawasaki Tachometer to the Nomad, Part number K53020-386. It looks like either the Tach lighting is made to be brighter than the speedometer, or the speedo light has just dimmed or faded over time. Shouldn't they both be the same color and intensity? How could I get them to look the same. Got the factory part because I wanted a perfect match.

Any thoughts and help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vulc.jpg (100.3 KB, 41 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #2

I think there is more than one light in the speedometer, maybe one is not working.

Have you changed the brake fluid and bled the brakes lately? If not you should.
Brake fluid should be changed every other year.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 01-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob View Post
I think there is more than one light in the speedometer, maybe one is not working.

Have you changed the brake fluid and bled the brakes lately? If not you should.
Brake fluid should be changed every other year.
I have not yet changed out the fluid. I'll try to get that done in the next few days as I just got a bleeder kit.

As for the speedometer, I'll have to pop it out and take a look under there. If memory serves correctly, it was much brighter in the past. Bright to the point that the reflection on the windshield was quite pronounced. Now I don't seem to be bothered by the reflection nearly as much.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #4

If all bulbs are working, maybe change them all, or some out to LED's to see if you can get a better or more even intensity..............Mike

Old 01-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #5

That is what I was thinking Tach may already be LED

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #6

How many miles on Bike and what pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
. I have tracked this down to the rear brake getting hot but cannot seem to locate any issue.
How many miles on the bike and what pads are you running? Have you ever changed them? What condition are they in?

FYI - over my 100,000 1700 Voyager miles I have found that OEM brake pads are well worth the money when it's time to replace them.

Trying to add some details that might find a solution via discussion.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #7

I found this: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ka...700cdf/meter-s

Cannot seem to find where it has any replaceable bulbs though or what types of bulbs they are. Any ideas or part numbers?

Old 01-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #8

lol

"First and most importantly" yes the brakes are way more important than the lights.

Things I would look at/determine
Is the rear rotor extremely hot when you notice the smell.
Is the rotor warped.
Does it appear that the caliper is still able to "float"
Do you have enough brake pad left and that the pistons are not extended out to far.
Remove caliper and clean out any debris built up around the pistons. Excersice the pistons
Flush both brake systems completely, then do it again. you shouldn't use open brake fluid so why not be sure you have fully cleaned the system

Don't know how the laughing icon got there - not laughing at you

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Last edited by Hillhouse; 01-08-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #9

Great Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhouse View Post
you shouldn't use open brake fluid so why not be sure you have fully cleaned the system
Great point - I'm planning a fluid change and caliper clean before spring - I never would have thought of a flush through the system - Thanks.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
How many miles on the bike and what pads are you running? Have you ever changed them? What condition are they in?

FYI - over my 100,000 1700 Voyager miles I have found that OEM brake pads are well worth the money when it's time to replace them.

Trying to add some details that might find a solution via discussion.
Bike is at 7800 miles. Still young..
Issue was noticed after the rear tire was replaced. (Gotta love big nails).
Brake pads were replaced shortly after noticing the issue. Currently FA231HH
Old brake pads had plenty of pad left. These might have 2K on them now.
The rear rotor does get warmer than the two front, but only hot enough to smell the brakes after a few miles on the freeway.
Rotor is not warped.
Caliper has float room.
Will clean out the caliper and check this week.
Because of this, I generally avoid the freeway which really bums me out.

Last edited by B.C.; 01-08-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

Do I see horses and not zebras?

Since you noticed the issue after rear tire was replaced I would start look to see that the tire was mounted in proper alignment, both hash marks set the same, not belt running in center of pulley. Also look to see if tire has any rub marks.

As for your pad selection. I personally wouldn't run the HH series, if memory serves me correctly those are the sinister flavor of pads. to hard. Like Mike, OEM has served me well for 95k

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Old 01-08-2018, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhouse View Post
Do I see horses and not zebras?

Since you noticed the issue after rear tire was replaced I would start look to see that the tire was mounted in proper alignment, both hash marks set the same, not belt running in center of pulley. Also look to see if tire has any rub marks.

As for your pad selection. I personally wouldn't run the HH series, if memory serves me correctly those are the sinister flavor of pads. to hard. Like Mike, OEM has served me well for 95k
You're the second to tell me about the HH pads. So I'll probably change them out soon and just hang onto them as a backup set.
Luckily for me, the bags are currently off which will make for checking the alignment easier. I'll check that and the rub marks tonight.
1985 Honda Sabre V65 (For sale, project bike)
1986 Honda CT110 (Retired)

Old 01-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #13

Boy any chance you still have the original pads you replaced? Slapping them back on and seeing if the problem goes away would be interesting. FYI - I've got around 32,000 on my OEM pads front and rear. I tried the EBC's on my 2009 Voyager and just didn't like how they stopped and they were dirty if I remember right.

On the rear alignment - Make sure it's some thing like this - 1/2 mark to the right of the third tick mark on the left side and 1/2 mark to the left of the third tick on the right. I had a dealer install one once 1/2 mark to the right on both sides with resulted in a strange belt rub and weird pulling. Not to mention it just wasn't correct. - I fixed it and Triple check everything they now do on my bike.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
Boy any chance you still have the original pads you replaced? Slapping them back on and seeing if the problem goes away would be interesting. FYI - I've got around 32,000 on my OEM pads front and rear. I tried the EBC's on my 2009 Voyager and just didn't like how they stopped and they were dirty if I remember right.

On the rear alignment - Make sure it's some thing like this - 1/2 mark to the right of the third tick mark on the left side and 1/2 mark to the left of the third tick on the right. I had a dealer install one once 1/2 mark to the right on both sides with resulted in a strange belt rub and weird pulling. Not to mention it just wasn't correct. - I fixed it and Triple check everything they now do on my bike.
I have very little trust in the dealership techs. Seems they are all fresh out of school and really don't know what they are doing in most cases.

Oddly enough, I do have the original pads. In theory, if the tire alignment is off, the pads should be worn at an angle. Think I'll check them with a level and see what I get before putting them back on.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #15

I did a quick check of the rear alignment and it looks good to me. Didn't get the time to swap or look at the brake pads though. Will try and do that tonight... assuming it doesn't rain on me during the ride home.
Anybody else ever have brake issues like this?