Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Time to use the Dobek

I've had a new in the box EJK controller sitting on my workbench for about the last 8 months and it's getting about time to use it. I have a good friend who runs a web site on tuning Victorys with the Dobek and he's offered to help me get it installed and and properly set up.

The installation instructions don't tell me much and I know there is a detailed procedure somewhere on this site so will do a search for it. My only mods to my 1600 are Cobra true duals and a K&N air filter. I'll take this one step at a time with the EJK first and then maybe modify the intake down the line.

What finally got me off the dime on this is my recent purchase of a beautiful Rocket 3 Touring on which I'll be doing performance mods. With the Rocket we use Tune ECU to install a new map in the ECU while the EJK is an add on. Still, it made me wonder what the heck I am waiting for on the Nomad. The Cobra exhaust notably enhanced performance/acceleration and I'm thinking the EJK will awaken the Nomad beast a bit more. Like on my Rocket, I'm not trying to maximize performance but rather optimize it and the same with the Nomad.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Navigator; 12-02-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #2

I think your really going to like the Dobeck on your Nomad . I've been running one on my Nomad for about 3 years now . It made an unbelievably huge difference with the intake mod and pipes .

Here is the thread I think your talking about . I followed these instructions when I set it up . Thread #10 is what your looking for ...

Hope this helps !!

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...hlight=setting

Old 12-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post
I think your really going to like the Dobeck on your Nomad . I've been running one on my Nomad for about 3 years now . It made an unbelievably huge difference with the intake mod and pipes .

Here is the thread I think your talking about . I followed these instructions when I set it up . Thread #10 is what your looking for ...

Hope this helps !!

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...hlight=setting
Thanks. I recall that thread and believe I copy/pasted into one of my tech files. There was another one referenced on the installation itself, which wire hooks to where. The EJK has some general instructions and if I can't find specifics on the forum will break out the shop manual. My friend tells me that the folks at Dobeck are extremely helpful

Old 12-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #4

Agreed , the guys at Dobeck are excellent at walking you through the install . The install is quite simple . Just a ground wire to your battery and the connectors to your injectors . If you do one at a time you can't fail . You'll see two sets of connectors on the dobeck ( 2 connectors per set ) remove one injector connector and hook up one set to it and plug it back into the injector then do the other . It doesn't matter which set of connectors you use on the dobeck to do the front or rear cylinder . As long as the original connector from the injector goes back to the same injector your good to go .

Hope this makes sense , I do try . Sometimes my explanations can be confusing ...

Once you get it hooked up be prepared for a nice gain in power . My nomad sure woke up .

I did have some popping so I called Dobeck and was told to reduce my Gr/bl from 6 to .5 . Totally got rid of the popping . With some slight tuning the nomad couldn't be happier .

Old 12-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post
Agreed , the guys at Dobeck are excellent at walking you through the install . The install is quite simple . Just a ground wire to your battery and the connectors to your injectors . If you do one at a time you can't fail . You'll see two sets of connectors on the dobeck ( 2 connectors per set ) remove one injector connector and hook up one set to it and plug it back into the injector then do the other . It doesn't matter which set of connectors you use on the dobeck to do the front or rear cylinder . As long as the original connector from the injector goes back to the same injector your good to go .

Hope this makes sense , I do try . Sometimes my explanations can be confusing ...

Once you get it hooked up be prepared for a nice gain in power . My nomad sure woke up .

I did have some popping so I called Dobeck and was told to reduce my Gr/bl from 6 to .5 . Totally got rid of the popping . With some slight tuning the nomad couldn't be happier .
Perfect

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2017, 01:23 AM   #6
Advanced Member

I've learned quite a bit about tuning over the past month from two friends, one who uses a Dobeck to tune Victorys and the other who uses various tuning software programs that enable the tuner to change the maps in the ECUs. I'll be using this type of software, TuneECU, to tune my Rocket 3 after I make intake and exhaust modifications. TuneECU permits elimination of programed restrictions within the Rocket ECU, such as those on the throttle body plates, along the ability to modify the maps, depending on the desired AFRs. I do have some experience with Tune ECU because I used it on my previous 07 Rocket 3 Classic to substantially enhance HP and torque.

Both of my tuner friends use a wideband AFR O2 sensor "to supply the exact AFR measurement across a WIDE range of possible AFR values" and used in conjunction with a data recorder permits the tuner to fully evaluate results back in the shop to determine specific tuning requirement.

From what I have read on this forum, after installation, we then program our Dobecks, in my case the EJK, to base recommended settings and then work from there. What we appear to be doing is to use somewhat of a trial and error method to adjust richness/leanness in relationship to stoich (14.7:1) for gasoline engines, stoich being the AFR in which chemically complete combustion occurs.

What I hope to do is to have my Dobeck friend help me install the module and then use a wideband O2 sensor/data recorder, such as an SAFR, to evaluate the base recommended EJK AFR settings. I have never installed a tuning module, hence my request for assistance in this thread.

I'll be doing this upon my soon to be completed truck restoration project. I'll be able to get my truck out of my shop and my bikes back into it to work on them over the next couple of months.

I'll let the forum members know if it works out well or I just make a complete mess of it.

Last edited by Navigator; 12-14-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #7

You can rent the SAFR unit from Dobeck for 2 weeks for $50, or purchase it for $250. You have to drill your pipes and install a bung for the sensor (the bung closes for sensor removal; they don't recommend leaving it installed permanently even if you purchase it). Just cutting, no welding if I remember correctly.

I have been putting off either renting or purchasing the kit. I'm pretty happy with my EJK tune, but if I can get even better performance and mpg, it would be worth renting, if not buying. I guess I should have rented it when it was $20 for one week.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #8

Well, if and when you can, if you ever decide to get another bike, be it a Harley or a Nomad or Vaquero, its best to get yourself a tuner now and set it aside cause theres laws coming to make all these tuners illegal. Guess we'll all be outlaws before too long.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 12-20-2017, 01:03 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
You can rent the SAFR unit from Dobeck for 2 weeks for $50, or purchase it for $250. You have to drill your pipes and install a bung for the sensor (the bung closes for sensor removal; they don't recommend leaving it installed permanently even if you purchase it). Just cutting, no welding if I remember correctly.

I have been putting off either renting or purchasing the kit. I'm pretty happy with my EJK tune, but if I can get even better performance and mpg, it would be worth renting, if not buying. I guess I should have rented it when it was $20 for one week.
My Victory tuning friend had sent me a link to the SAFR and I watched the installation video. When I saw the guy drilling into a quad header I thought, no way. It looks to be an easy plug though.

DragonLady, I read in one of my mags that the crackdown was supposedly coming after 2014. Was talking to the sales manager at the local Harley dealership and he told me how the aftermarket exhaust builders are sweating their future.

Edit: An additional thought....The future will not be with add on tuners but rather software that allows us to reprogram our ECUs. The advantate of software is that it takes about 20 minutes to revert to the stock tune and about an hour or so to bolt back on the stock exhaust in the event of required smog inspection.

Tune ECU is freeware and incredible. Other tuning programs can run up to $500.

Last edited by Navigator; 12-20-2017 at 01:21 AM.