Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Advanced Member

KAMS shroud cover heat/cracked

Was pulling my KAMS system out and noticed that the top right hole was cracked and realized it was completely cracked (spider cracked) and brittle from what appears to be heat. It is not repairable and will have to replace Wondering if this is a one-off?

49125SHROUD
49125-0565
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...7b/cooling-bcf

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2016, 12:56 AM   #2

crazy

The first cover fell off. The second broke out the screw holes and cracked across the cover. The third broke out the top screw when being installed by Kawi Mech. I'm going to try installing the fourth cover with black silicone adhesive, put the screws in gently with lock tight to hold them in. If there is an after market aluminum cover I would like to know about it.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #3

Oh, didn't know that could happen!

Some plastic restorer (something solvent based, not water based so it won't wash off and get on the tires) might help. Treat off the bike, let it sit to soak in and wipe down thoroughly. The heat is probably driving off the plasticizers making it brittle.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #4

The last one broke when it hadn't been out of the box for 15 minutes.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
Advanced Member

don't put loctite on the plastic as it will eat it from what I heard. I was thinking of putting some sort of a heat shield inside if it gets brittle again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanosdo View Post
The first cover fell off. The second broke out the screw holes and cracked across the cover. The third broke out the top screw when being installed by Kawi Mech. I'm going to try installing the fourth cover with black silicone adhesive, put the screws in gently with lock tight to hold them in. If there is an after market aluminum cover I would like to know about it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Wondering if aluminum tape on the inside would help any?
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 05-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Advanced Member

A little - I don't think the tape would continue to stick. heat reflective matting would be better IMO

Old 05-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #8

My problem isn't heat. the one that's on there now broke while being installed. The second one also broke right away but I but I repaired it with ABS cement. That held for about a year until all of the screw holes broke away from the shroud.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #9

My KAMS shroud fell off too!! Warning to others!!

Recently I was on a 2,000-mile trip and on the first day I felt something hit my leg. I thought maybe it was a bug or something. At my next rest stop I noticed the shroud was gone.
I bought one, including the crews, from Parts Bandits for around 50 bucks.
I thought about making a warranty claim to Kawasaki but thought they would deny it. I figured it was a fluke and I was the only one until I came back from the trip and found this thread.
I have a 2014 Voyager and it took 12,000 miles for that part to fall off. However, I will check the screws every 1 K miles from now on.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I put washers on the new one to cover a larger surface area. I am seriously thinking about making some sort of a heat shield on the inside now. I wonder if rubberized rock guard would work?

Old 06-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #11

I would have made the claim. Even if it was denied, there would be a record of a problem. How else would Kawasaki know there's a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippe721 View Post
Recently I was on a 2,000-mile trip and on the first day I felt something hit my leg. I thought maybe it was a bug or something. At my next rest stop I noticed the shroud was gone.
I bought one, including the crews, from Parts Bandits for around 50 bucks.
I thought about making a warranty claim to Kawasaki but thought they would deny it. I figured it was a fluke and I was the only one until I came back from the trip and found this thread.
I have a 2014 Voyager and it took 12,000 miles for that part to fall off. However, I will check the screws every 1 K miles from now on.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #12

Out of curiosity I called Kawasaki and their answer was" You need to take the bike to the dealership and they will determine if it is a warranty item."

Ok guys, Place your bets:

A) Dealer says "Yes absolutely covered by warranty. And, since you already bought the part, we will get Kawa to reimburse you."
OR
B) "No, it's not covered."
OR
C) "You'll have to leave the bike with us until we can determine if warranty applies. And we'll call you in couple of weeks."

Old 06-11-2016, 03:29 AM   #13

I guess answer " B" !

Did I win ?

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 06-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #14

I'd bet on C, along with them adding that you'll need to pay a one hour diag fee as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philippe721 View Post
Out of curiosity I called Kawasaki and their answer was" You need to take the bike to the dealership and they will determine if it is a warranty item."

Ok guys, Place your bets:

A) Dealer says "Yes absolutely covered by warranty. And, since you already bought the part, we will get Kawa to reimburse you."
OR
B) "No, it's not covered."
OR
C) "You'll have to leave the bike with us until we can determine if warranty applies. And we'll call you in couple of weeks."

Old 06-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Put star lock washers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemeanie View Post
I would have made the claim. Even if it was denied, there would be a record of a problem. How else would Kawasaki know there's a problem?

Tags
kams