Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Ivanized My Bike

Well after reading the many posts about Ivan's ECU flash I decided to take the 2+ hr ride to his shop and have it done. Needless to say the 2+ hr ride home turned into a 5+ hr ride. What a difference! It's everything the I've heard & more. Well worth it.

"People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible."

Tom Centofanti
Florence, NJ
VBA#3676

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #2

I like the idea of getting this done via a road trip.
I live 7 hours away, so I would make this into a weekend get a way.
Gonna have to wait for the Canadian money to creep up though.
By the way, did Ivan take off the ECU or did you have to?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Ivan does everything. You just park it and read a magazine for a half hour and you're done!
2002 Honda 750 A.C.E. (gone)
SCRC 2nd Officer Central Jersey Chapter

Old 05-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
Ivan does everything. You just park it and read a magazine for a half hour and you're done!
That's a good deal cuz that ECU is a little tough to get out of the rubber sleeve.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
That's a good deal cuz that ECU is a little tough to get out of the rubber sleeve.
Ya watched his helper struggle getting out. Ivan's an interesting guy to talk to. Knows his shit that's for sure.

"People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible."

Tom Centofanti
Florence, NJ
VBA#3676

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
You should have taken pictures of his shop so we could all see where the magic happens.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
Advanced Member

I would have loved to ride in and get mine done at his shop in person, but living in Oregon would have made that little tough back in April...
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #8

Well you could have told the wife, "Going out for a quart of milk" and come back 2 or 3 weeks later.

But seriously, I'm glad for those of you who took the plunge and had your bike done. Reading the posts of how everyone love it & the only down side is not having done it sooner helped me make the decision.

Tom Centofanti
Florence, NJ
VBA#3676

Old 05-26-2016, 01:51 PM   #9

I am thinking about stopping by his shop to have it done on my way upstate to Americade in June. Just not sure I will have a BAC put on by then. From what I read guys suggest air and exhaust upgrades first other wise Ivan needs the ECU back to reprogram.
About the bikes running cooler after the flash, is it a big difference or barely noticeable?

Old 05-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnooch24 View Post
I am thinking about stopping by his shop to have it done on my way upstate to Americade in June. Just not sure I will have a BAC put on by then. From what I read guys suggest air and exhaust upgrades first other wise Ivan needs the ECU back to reprogram.
About the bikes running cooler after the flash, is it a big difference or barely noticeable?
Can't really say about the heat just yet. I was enjoying the way it ran better. I'll have to pay attention to that when I got out on it over the next couple days. They're calling to 90+ temps in in NJ over the holiday weekend so that should be a good gauge.

Tom Centofanti
Florence, NJ
VBA#3676

Old 05-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
Advanced Member

I notice mine runs a bit cooler. Soon enough it's going to be close to 100ยบ and I'm pretty sure it will be on the upper end of the gauge. Never an issue before it was done so I don't see any issue now. Other than I'll sweat out about 3lbs by the time I get home.

Way better than exercise.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 05-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
The flash is pretty much a "one size fits all"... It's the same whether you have pipes / BAK or not. Ivan has now offered a free re-flash if you - 1. have a BAK, 2. are running premium fuel, and 3. experience ping above 4k RPM after the flash.

The re-flash simply fine tunes the fuel in the upper rev range. These are cruisers, so not too many of us get up in that rev range (although it's nice to try out after the flash), and Ivan will only recommend that you re-flash, if you experience that ping issue. Most flashed bikes with BAK's and pipes run perfectly with just the standard flash.

I had some ping post-flash. But it was due to the tank of regular gas I had at the time. Changing to premium solved the problem.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 05-26-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Had mine done,,, and I did not know these bike were so out of tunes ... Now it feels like a bigger engine and it runs awesome!!!

Tkx ivan..you're making me love my bike even more
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Last edited by Vulcanrider03; 05-27-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #14

Quote:
...........About the bikes running cooler after the flash, is it a big difference or barely noticeable?

Made a very noticeable difference on my Vaquero. You can see where the needle is now and red line is where it was before being Ivanized. The only time I see it get that far right now is when I'm stuck in traffic for a lengthy period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp.jpg (69.8 KB, 63 views)
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips w/ Throttle Mod
Clearview Dark Smoke Windshield
Auxiliary Lights
Cyclops LED's
Passenger Floorboards
V&H Twin Slash Cuts
ThunderMfg Round Air Kit
Ivanized

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "Holy Sh!t....what a ride!"

Old 05-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #15

Thumbs Up 2nd outing with the Ivanized Nomad

Well we did day #2 on the bike yesterday (about 250 miles). It again validated my decision to have this done. In the past I did everything I could to avoid the turnpike and interstates. In some cases it limited our destinations. When running 65-70 MPH the bike always felt like it was fighting me wanting to rapidly slow down & when I'd kick in the cruise control the bike would momentary speed up & pulling in the clutch or tapping the brake to release it, it would rapidly decel. Yesterday we decided to head west and went to the Lancaster Pa area, which meant Penn TP / Interstate, 2 & 4 lane roadways. What a pleasure it was! Driving the TP & Interstate was a breeze (excuse the pun). The bike had great acceleration and it seemed like the bike was on cruise control even though it wasn't. Smooth riding. This also was the 1st time since I had it Ivanized that I did try the cruise control. It did not accelerate when I kicked it in nor a rapid decel when I pulled in the clutch or tapped the brake to release it. On the back roads the lower gears were better and 4th gear either on the interstate or back roads was a beast. I really seemed to be much much better. As far as MPG, I really didn't notice much difference, maybe slightly better. Love the change wish I'd done it sooner.

Tom Centofanti
Florence, NJ
VBA#3676

Last edited by BlueStreak07; 05-30-2016 at 10:05 AM.