Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #16

TOO QUIET

Quote:
Originally Posted by suennico
GEEZ Wolfie...It's about time you did your job!!!!
I have a very difficult job thank you very much

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #17

TOO QUIET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
After reading the thread in BD's garage, I picked up the hole saw and turned a dowel. Before starting the silencer removal, I brought my Nomad in for the 600 mile first service and asked the service manager if removing the silencers would void my warranty. He stated that if anything went wrong with the bike that required warranty service, the first question Kawasaki would ask is if there were any modifications. When they tell Kawasaki yes and describe the mod to them, Kawasaki could at their own discretion deny coverage. I don't know if this has actually happened to anyone but I'm not going to chance it. He told me to buy V & H or Cobra pipes where ever I'd like and that would positively not affect warranty coverage. Take this for what you think it's worth. If anybody has done the mod and has not been denied warranty coverage please let me know. I've been tempted to contact Kawasaki about it myself to see what they would say.
That's kinda lame...remove the stock system altogether and it's OK but just the bafflectomy and warranty is void???

Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #18

TOO QUIET

I feel the same...But the thought of paying for 4 years of extended warranty for zilch is kind of scary. When it comes to warranty we are all at the mercy of the manufacturer, unfortunately. I've heard a story of an unfortunate guy who purchased an ATV from the same dealership and added a few modifications and was denied warranty coverage by Yamaha.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #19
Mega-Contributor

TOO QUIET

[quote=bobzinger ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cajunrider ":x5vv6r5e
After reading the thread in BD's garage, I picked up the hole saw and turned a dowel. Before starting the silencer removal, I brought my Nomad in for the 600 mile first service and asked the service manager if removing the silencers would void my warranty. He stated that if anything went wrong with the bike that required warranty service, the first question Kawasaki would ask is if there were any modifications. When they tell Kawasaki yes and describe the mod to them, Kawasaki could at their own discretion deny coverage. I don't know if this has actually happened to anyone but I'm not going to chance it. He told me to buy V & H or Cobra pipes where ever I'd like and that would positively not affect warranty coverage. Take this for what you think it's worth. If anybody has done the mod and has not been denied warranty coverage please let me know. I've been tempted to contact Kawasaki about it myself to see what they would say.
That's kinda lame...remove the stock system altogether and it's OK but just the bafflectomy and warranty is void???[/quote:x5vv6r5e]

Nope. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act would hold them to the warranty, unless the problem could be directly attributed to the modification. Since removing the last 8" of baffle should have no effect on the bike other than making it a little louder, it shouldn't be an issue. Ie: starter motor fails - starter motor has nothing whatsoever to do with the exhaust system. They cannot deny warranty coverage under federal law.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Top Contributor

TOO QUIET

I went with V&H myself.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #21

TOO QUIET

Thanks CJ. I plan on contacting Kawasaki and speaking to someone. You gave me something else to use if I have to challenge them. I'll let you know what they told me.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 05-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #22

TOO QUIET

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Quote:
Originally Posted by suennico
GEEZ Wolfie...It's about time you did your job!!!!
I have a very difficult job thank you very much

LOL.....Maybe a Co-archivist historian would help? lol

Old 05-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #23
Mega-Contributor

TOO QUIET

Quote:
Thanks CJ. I plan on contacting Kawasaki and speaking to someone. You gave me something else to use if I have to challenge them. I'll let you know what they told me.
Please do. I'm interested in hearing what they have to say.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #24

TOO QUIET

I just spoke to Mark with Kawasaki Consumer Services. Removing the silencers would not void the warranty. However, in his words, if a poor performance issue such as running sluggish, backfiring, missing, etc. came up and it was brought in to the dealership for troubleshooting, Kawasaki would ask if any mods were made and what they were. If the silencers were removed or if an aftermarket exhaust system were installed, they would want the bike returned back to "stock" condition at the owners expense to see if the problem still existed. If the problem is still there, then the warranty would pay to investigate further and repair. If the performance problem went away after returning it to stock condition then the case is closed as far as the factory is concerned. He wouldn't give any advise but he did say that there is normally no issues with silencer removals or aftermarket exhaust systems other than losing a little low end torque and gaining a little high speed performance.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 05-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #25
Mega-Contributor

TOO QUIET

Quote:
I just spoke to Mark with Kawasaki Consumer Services. Removing the silencers would not void the warranty. However, in his words, if a poor performance issue such as running sluggish, backfiring, missing, etc. came up and it was brought in to the dealership for troubleshooting, Kawasaki would ask if any mods were made and what they were. If the silencers were removed or if an aftermarket exhaust system were installed, they would want the bike returned back to "stock" condition at the owners expense to see if the problem still existed. If the problem is still there, then the warranty would pay to investigate further and repair. If the performance problem went away after returning it to stock condition then the case is closed as far as the factory is concerned. He wouldn't give any advise but he did say that there is normally no issues with silencer removals or aftermarket exhaust systems other than losing a little low end torque and gaining a little high speed performance.
That's pretty much what I thought. Your dealer was just a little bit misinformed.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #26

TOO QUIET

Think maybe the dealer wanted to sell some aftermarket pipes for 500 to 700 bucks. Terrebonne, Thanks for sharing the info of your call to kawasaki.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM   #27

TOO QUIET

You're welcome. He did say to buy the aftermarket pipes where I could get them at the best price so I think he might have been being honest with me with some misunderstood information. I'm going to do something because I passed in front of a friend's house and blew the horn at him. He later asked me if I was coasting because he couldn't hear the engine. My better half likes the quiet though. I'll have to come up with something like better fuel economy or safety because drivers in their cages can hear me coming, etc. I'll come up with something creative.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #28
Top Contributor

TOO QUIET

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzinger

That's kinda lame...remove the stock system altogether and it's OK but just the bafflectomy and warranty is void???
Nope. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act would hold them to the warranty, unless the problem could be directly attributed to the modification. Since removing the last 8" of baffle should have no effect on the bike other than making it a little louder, it shouldn't be an issue. Ie: starter motor fails - starter motor has nothing whatsoever to do with the exhaust system. They cannot deny warranty coverage under federal law.

BRAVO CJ!!!!.....most auto dealers/bike dealers/well, anything dealers have not even heard of this....it also puts the burden on the dealer and/or manufacturer to prove that the mod or aftermarket part caused the defect before they can deny warranty.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC