Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-11-2015, 12:52 AM   #1

Kawasaki Oil

I just did an oil change, originally planning to use Motul 5100 Semi-synthetic mostly due to price when comparing pricing from mineral to full synthetic. However I decided to give Amsoil a go, as some say it helps with shifting and the clunk as well as may help the engine run cooler. I found that the Amsoil really didn't help either. Thats fine, I can live with these things, but not sure if I will stick with Amsoil. When visiting the Kawa dealer, I found that they sell Kawasaki Full Synthetic for just under $11 a Litre. I still like the idea with sticking with a synthetic. So when comparing the Kawa oil to the Motul semi synthetic, Mobil 1 synthetic, and Amsoil at $16/litre, and the Motul full synthetic at $19/litre the Kawasaki oil seems like a good choice $ wise.
Has anyone given the Kawasaki synthetic a try? I only found a reference to Citgo previously making it for Kawasaki, and thats really about it. I do plan on doing at least a couple oil changes a year, so for $2 more per litre over the Kawa mineral oil, to me it seems like a decent option.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2015, 02:41 AM   #2

I've been using Rotella either regular 15 40 or synthetic T6 on all my bikes and never had an issue.
Highway pegs
Hard bags with rear trunk
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Old 08-11-2015, 05:08 AM   #3

Have one of the temperature dip sticks and use Amsoil oil and no it does not give a lower temp using it I noticed nothing different by the dip stick old wives tale I think. It is an oil for sure and probably very good I doubt if anyone could say one is better then the other and prove it. As long as it lubricates properly I am satisfied.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Advanced Member

I've been using Kawasaki S4 full synthetic in all my Kawasaki bikes and have been problem free for 962,000 kms. It is currently supplied by NOCO lubricants company. Definitely good stuff and reasonably priced. My dealer sells the 4 litre jug for $42, and if I bring my own jug they will fill it with bulk S4 for $35. They also have the oil change kit, includes 4 litres of S4, a filter, drain plug washer, plastic gloves and a Vulcan hat.
I change oil every 10,000 and use only Kawasaki filters.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Advanced Member

I just used Valvoline Motorcycle Oil 10W-40 full synthetic from Walmart. About $8.99 a qt. Bike seems to like it. Smoothe shifting. I will stick to 3000 mile oil changes even with full synthetic. Florida heat can break the oil down in my opinion.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
I've been using Kawasaki S4 full synthetic in all my Kawasaki bikes and have been problem free for 962,000 kms. It is currently supplied by NOCO lubricants company. Definitely good stuff and reasonably priced. My dealer sells the 4 litre jug for $42, and if I bring my own jug they will fill it with bulk S4 for $35. They also have the oil change kit, includes 4 litres of S4, a filter, drain plug washer, plastic gloves and a Vulcan hat.
I change oil every 10,000 and use only Kawasaki filters.
GARRY... when you do an oil change I bet you wear the gloves for protection from the nasty stuff in used oil, but do you also wear the HAT!!!???

LOL

RACNRAY

Old 08-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
GARRY... when you do an oil change I bet you wear the gloves for protection from the nasty stuff in used oil, but do you also wear the HAT!!!???

LOL

RACNRAY
Yes, of course! And I wear green underwear too.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #8

I use Amsoil but it's only as good as the filter. I change oil every 5000 and the K&N filter every 2500 miles. Synthetics are good, but you still need to keep it clean. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by H8BUGZ; 08-11-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
I just used Valvoline Motorcycle Oil 10W-40 full synthetic from Walmart. About $8.99 a qt. Bike seems to like it. Smoothe shifting. I will stick to 3000 mile oil changes even with full synthetic. Florida heat can break the oil down in my opinion.

I bought 4 qts of the Valvoline Motorcycle Oil 10W-40 full synthetic to try on my next oil change. Been using Mobil 1 4T 10W-40 full synthetic in my bike for the better part of 10 years now. 4 qts of the Valvoline was $12 cheaper than 4 qts of the Mobile 1 so I thought I would give it a try. I use the long Bosch filters too.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #10

Ditto on the s4 been using Kawa oil and filters since the bike was new. I don't have anything to compare with but I don't have complaints either and since I do all my own work I feel if buying what I can from the local kawa dealer helps keep him around then I'm investing in the future. I don't want to buy my next bike from Wally World.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Last edited by cnc; 08-11-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
I use Amsoil but it's only as good as the filter. I change oil every 5000 and the K&N filter every 2500 miles. Synthetics are good, but you still need to keep it clean. Just my 2 cents.
I recently serviced a Vulcan that the owner complained about rattling noise on startup. It had a K&N oil filter and when I removed it no oil came out, it was empty, it either had no anti-drainback valve or. it didn't work. I installed a new Kawasaki filter and the noise was gone after the initial start.
Without a functioning anti-drainback valve the oil pump has to fill the filter and lines before the cams and lifters get any lube. I know the K&N is less money and has the handy hex on the end, but not worth the risk IMO.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

I just changed my oil before a long weekend. I saw Lucas 20w50 full synthetic motorcycle oil on sale at the parts store for $9 a Quart so I thought I'd try it because of the heat in Las Vegas. I see no difference in shifting or otherwise between 10w40 Castrol synthetic, 5w40 T-6 full synthetic, or the 10w40 Mobil 1 full synthetic. I am using the long Bosch filter too.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendan View Post
I just did an oil change, originally planning to use Motul 5100 Semi-synthetic mostly due to price when comparing pricing from mineral to full synthetic. However I decided to give Amsoil a go, as some say it helps with shifting and the clunk as well as may help the engine run cooler. I found that the Amsoil really didn't help either. Thats fine, I can live with these things, but not sure if I will stick with Amsoil. When visiting the Kawa dealer, I found that they sell Kawasaki Full Synthetic for just under $11 a Litre. I still like the idea with sticking with a synthetic. So when comparing the Kawa oil to the Motul semi synthetic, Mobil 1 synthetic, and Amsoil at $16/litre, and the Motul full synthetic at $19/litre the Kawasaki oil seems like a good choice $ wise.
Has anyone given the Kawasaki synthetic a try? I only found a reference to Citgo previously making it for Kawasaki, and thats really about it. I do plan on doing at least a couple oil changes a year, so for $2 more per litre over the Kawa mineral oil, to me it seems like a decent option.
I'm having great results with Motul E-Tech 100 I met a Motul Representative /tech at the Mid Ohio Super Bike races last year and he recommended this oil for my application, you can find prices around $12 - $13 per Qt.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #14

I use regular kawasaki oil, it's never given me any problems with any of my Kawasaki motorcycles. Never had any engine trouble, never smoked, runs cool and fires up on the first crank every time. I don't know about you guys but I don't have a need for that expensive stuff because conventional oil has never let me down

Old 08-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #15

I agree. I've used The recommended Kawasaki oil and filter since the first oil change. I've never felt the need to try any others, since I truly haven't ridden my Nomad much due to deployments. Since retiring in '13 from the Army Guard, I no longer have to deal with deployments. I have my weekends back for family and friends. I've started to ride more to work as well. I'm planning on changing the oil this next week. I might try full synthetic for a turn just to see if there is any difference. I'll still use the Kaw filter though...