Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

Another newbie with a question

Hey guys, found this site while doing some research on the Vaquero, been a Vulcan rider for many years & upgraded to a 2012 Vaquero with V&H slash cut slip ons in April. Finally got a little cash saved up & bought a PCV & K&N air filter. When installing I found the bike already had a FI2000 & K&N air filter installed but has quite a bit of decel pop. I removed the FI2000 & while installing the PCV I removed the air box & found that the breather tube at the top had been plugged with a smaller tube & bolt. From what I can tell this goes to an air valve & then splits to the top of each cylinder. Since the PCV instructions said nothing about it I removed the plug upon re-assembly. I downloaded the PC map for the bike with the V&H slip ons & stock air cleaner & installed on the PCV. Been riding some & I still get a significant amount of decel popping. So here's here's my questions:
1. Was I correct in unplugging the breather tube?
2. Should I look for any other mods that could be affecting the operation of the PCV (like the plugged breather tube).
3. Anyone have a better map for my setup?

Thanks in advance!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

1. not sure why it is plugged, esepcially if stock air box. (someone else will have to weigh in on that.)

2. No its your map.

3. Try someone else's map or get the bike dyno tuned. (I have never used someone's, I have always gotten my bikes dyno tuned.)

Last edited by mattman; 07-29-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #3

The hole in the top of right side breather backing pate does need to be plugged to help prevent popping. Check to make sure all connections in exhaust are tight. Until this is done, you will not eliminate the popping. Also check to see if the throttle body has the Thunder gasket installed, the 1700s are known to have an air leak hear. It will be between the throttle body and intake. The gasket is only about $6 and worth every penny.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum from Northern California

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #5

Welcome aboard!

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Welcome from Italy!

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

Welcome from Iowa...
Look for posts from Ken Vega. He recently went to a PCV with ignition. He is very happy and has 99% of the decel popping eliminated.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 07-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reward View Post
Hey guys, found this site while doing some research on the Vaquero, been a Vulcan rider for many years & upgraded to a 2012 Vaquero with V&H slash cut slip ons in April. Finally got a little cash saved up & bought a PCV & K&N air filter. When installing I found the bike already had a FI2000 & K&N air filter installed but has quite a bit of decel pop. I removed the FI2000 & while installing the PCV I removed the air box & found that the breather tube at the top had been plugged with a smaller tube & bolt. From what I can tell this goes to an air valve & then splits to the top of each cylinder. Since the PCV instructions said nothing about it I removed the plug upon re-assembly. I downloaded the PC map for the bike with the V&H slip ons & stock air cleaner & installed on the PCV. Been riding some & I still get a significant amount of decel popping. So here's here's my questions:
1. Was I correct in unplugging the breather tube?
2. Should I look for any other mods that could be affecting the operation of the PCV (like the plugged breather tube).
3. Anyone have a better map for my setup?

Thanks in advance!!!
I am currently using a former members map that he derived from a dyno tune. But he had exactly the same setup I have. It feels like the map is on the money for me. I tweaked a few things in the fuel map at 0 throttle and in the ignition map at 0 throttle. It solved my popping problem. I get an odd pop on a rare occassion when the bike is really warm at 2100 rpm when the ECU pulls timing to avoid ping and knock.

The Pair Valve hose should absolutely remain plugged, stock airbox or not. If you dont it will pop for sure, even with a perfect map.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:49 AM   #9

Welcome from New Hampshire.

Larry Martel
02 1500 Nomad
VBA 01565
VROC4737
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 07-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

Eureka!!!!! Plug the breather hose & the decel pop is almost down to nothing!!!! Seems to have a little more torque as well. Thank you for the info & great welcomes, I have gained much knowledge here already!!! I am going to mess with the settings a little more to see if I can eliminate some of the random popping.