Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Where to go from here?

I received my Kawasaki manual and as I am having FI problems, I needed to find out how to read the error codes to figure out what the problem is.
I followed the manuals instructions on how to get to the FI error code to come up and start flashing. I grounded out the yellow wire from the ECU unit as per instructions and then turned the ignition switch to 'on' and depressed the mode button to go to the odometer screen and then held 'reset' for more than two seconds.
No flashing error codes. Nothing !
So, does that mean there is no FI error and I need to look elsewhere or what ?
My bike is an 05 1600 Nomad , I can start the bike up and it will run for about 8 seconds and then just shuts off and the FI light comes on. If I ride it, and keep the gas up and on higher RPM's it will run but farts like I had a backfire and the FI light will come on and most times will stay on but will sometimes go back off and then come on again but it will run, just not good.
Somebody has to have some insight to this problem !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #2

What have you done so far in investigating the problem besides trying to run the self diagnosis? Things like a clogged/ defective fuel pump or a throttle body that is come away from the boot will make the bike run like crap but obviously not register a fault code.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

So far I have replace the fuel pump assy. , replaced the DFI,and replaced the relay next to the DFI. So I'm left with quite a few possibilities but no indication which one it is.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #4

Ok, I guess you have also checked the throttle body boot to make sure it is not torn or the throttle body is not properly seated in it? Just trying to eliminate a few obvious possibilities.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

So lets just backtrack here. What ,if anything did you do when It started acting up? Retrace your steps , did you have anything apart? Bike/Intake is stock? or.....

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads