Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-19-2015, 04:10 AM   #16

I recall some saying that a 130 front tyre was a big improvement in handling,my 150 follow's any groove in the road like a train on a track.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2015, 04:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgconstable View Post
You lean too far for a car tire, that's funny.

I know guys with no toes in their boots who run car tires...
They must be riding with their feet hanging off the side of the footboard's to do that.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #18

nope,, just hard leaners :-)

Old 05-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #19
Sr. Contributor

You can get all kinds of The Dragon on bikes with car tires tossin off sparks. I can get a photo of a more square real NC tire because there is one in the shop loft. Once many mb tires had more square profiles than a modern car radial has today.

Some years ago when I heard of ct's on bike I wasn't thinking right and thought it was a bad idea. but then it hit me, that some of my first bikes did have sq profiles. I tried it and I liked it on the Nomad.

I can lean over so far as I want and if I am with Flavor I can see his same rear isn't on the edge or side wall a bit. Hitting my boards makes a sound that scares the pants off me, and I don't like it, but it's happened in a few curves where i went in to hot.

The Rt 112 kanc has a few curves in 32 miles
I did ride the dragon which has more curves, but I rode other roads in Tn that had plenty, and were safer roads than the dragon. Ain't nuthin' like coming round a bend to find a semi all hung up. But bears moose and deer scare me more.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to MJ07Nomad
I am not saying anything bad about CT's, I had one, just not for me with the type of riding I do now. I like more rounded tires that just make it more EZ for me to ride and throw the bike into corners. Bad back and getting older now so my days of 400+ mile rides are fewer. Today it is more like 100 mile rides that that all day, its more having fun in the corners, taken in the views and a lot of pee brakes..lol. If I was touring I would just go CT in back and Rear Tire (MC) in front, go 12/15K change front and keep going. I only go maybe 5K a year now so long lasting is not what I am looking for, would be nice but. Grip at all lean angles, better handling on backroads, and maybe over then tar snakes....I was checking out the Avons and the front is like $135 and rear is $145, not too bad but the Pirelli Night Dragon is $135 for front and $200 for the rear, so now it is the Avons plus you guys give them good reviews. thanks everyone, mj

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
I recall some saying that a 130 front tyre was a big improvement in handling,my 150 follow's any groove in the road like a train on a track.
Maybe it is not the size but the tread layout. If the front tire has a center groove
it may contribute to following the cracks, at least that seems to be my experience.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 05-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Maybe it is not the size but the tread layout. If the front tire has a center groove
it may contribute to following the cracks, at least that seems to be my experience.
I take your point,i use these at both end's. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorc...whitewall-tyre

Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #23

here in Wyoming we have tar snakes but mostly I run over rattlesnakes with my motorcycle tires.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 05-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #24
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
here in Wyoming we have tar snakes but mostly I run over rattlesnakes with my motorcycle tires.
i found one rattler dead in SD., missing a single fang and have it's hide to this day. One of the hardest skins I ever took as I was wondering just where the missing fang was.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it