Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Extended forward controls

Does anybody know if its possible to get extended forward controls for the Voyager? I need another 3 inches or so forward to stop my hip and knee from cramping.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
Top Contributor

I have not heard of anyone selling forward controls for a Voyager. Would highway pegs on the crash bars help any ? If you need forward controls you might have to fabricate your own. Would the fairing lowers get in the way ?

Old 04-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I have not heard of anyone selling forward controls for a Voyager. Would highway pegs on the crash bars help any ? If you need forward controls you might have to fabricate your own. Would the fairing lowers get in the way ?
I'm looking into highway pegs as well. The fairing lowers do look like they would get in the way. There is a set that mounts to the bottom of the floorboards but I might have a corner clearance problem with them. It seems that Kawasaki made the 1700's shorter than the 1600's.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Yep, they sure did. All the 1700s have less legroom than the 1600s.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPusher View Post
I'm looking into highway pegs as well. The fairing lowers do look like they would get in the way. There is a set that mounts to the bottom of the floorboards but I might have a corner clearance problem with them. It seems that Kawasaki made the 1700's shorter than the 1600's.
I have the floorboard mounts on my Nomad 1700. They work fine and don't scrape. The Kawasaki instructions say to reverse your floorboard right to left and left to right and use the holes already in the bottom of the floorboards. The front of each floorboard has the same layout so I just drilled and tapped the spots and they have no problems. I needed mine to get the highway pegs closer to me and have them set at the same spot as the brake pedal. They can swivel forward and give you a few inches from there.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #6

Good advice here... I had the same issue coming from a Nomad - felt a little like I was crouching on a sportbike on the Voyager. Almost a "tipping forward" feeling.

I fitted Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs, fixed so I can be heel on the boards, toe on the pegs. And that's the position I spend 90% of my riding time in, even around town.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 04-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Good advice here... I had the same issue coming from a Nomad - felt a little like I was crouching on a sportbike on the Voyager. Almost a "tipping forward" feeling.

I fitted Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs, fixed so I can be heel on the boards, toe on the pegs. And that's the position I spend 90% of my riding time in, even around town.
The fairing lowers don't get in the way of installation?

Old 04-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #8

No, there's no interference from the lowers. I used a set of "Longhorn offset highway pegs" I had from the Nomad, and later put a 2" extension in the mount to get them exactly where I wanted them on the Voyager. The Voyager's crash bars are a couple of inches further away than the Nomad's were.

Kury does another model, the "Tour Tech adjustable cruise mount" which looks like it might provide that little extra length I was looking for without extensions.

Those two models are the favored Kury brand highway pegs for Voyagers.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
No, there's no interference from the lowers. I used a set of "Longhorn offset highway pegs" I had from the Nomad, and later put a 2" extension in the mount to get them exactly where I wanted them on the Voyager. The Voyager's crash bars are a couple of inches further away than the Nomad's were.

Kury does another model, the "Tour Tech adjustable cruise mount" which looks like it might provide that little extra length I was looking for without extensions.

Those two models are the favored Kury brand highway pegs for Voyagers.
Are the crash bars 1-1/4 or 1 inch? The Kury site show a listing for both sizes.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #10

They're 1-1/4"