Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #1

Water Temp

Iv'e only had my 2010 Voyager a few weeks. What little bit of riding Iv'e done I notice the temp gauge climb to the high side. Are these gauges accurate? Do these machines tend to run hot? The fan kicks on and cools it down but it tends to hang around one notch past the center of the gauge.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2015, 08:48 AM   #2

About normal unless at higher speeds. My Vaquero runs about 1/4 while cruising and about 3/4 or little higher while in town.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Top Contributor

There has been some discussion that the temp gauge is calibrated wrongly and shows a higher temp than would be considered normal, (for example in the mid range at all times when the engine is warmed up).

It does tend to climb rapidly in stop and go traffic to a point around 3/4 of max, perfectly normal for this bike.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
There has been some discussion that the temp gauge is calibrated wrongly and shows a higher temp than would be considered normal, (for example in the mid range at all times when the engine is warmed up).

It does tend to climb rapidly in stop and go traffic to a point around 3/4 of max, perfectly normal for this bike.
Yeah, I took it out for new tires today and noticed the rapid increase up to the 3/4 mark. It stayed about half on the highway. I figured I'd ask. Both of my "ex" BMW's had unreliable temp (K1200 Lt) and oil level (R1200 Rt) gauges. Now my gear indicator seems to be a bit slow. If I shift from 4th to 5th it takes about 3 seconds to read the right gear. I'm not going to worry about that though, it still shifts and runs like a champ.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
Top Contributor

The gear indicator is another known issue. It takes its time to indicate the correct gear but gets there in the end.