Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #46
Top Contributor

In my opinion you should always replace the exhaust gaskets at the cylinder head when removing and replacing the header pipes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trrust32 View Post
When installing the FP true duals did you guys replace the exhaust gaskets..

Not when I first put them on( too big of a hurry). Have to pull them off to put the O2 sensors on. I have a new pair of gaskets for it this time.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #48

I did replace the Gaskets, for 6 bucks of insurance why do it twice....

2012 Voyager / Gone
2006 Vulcan Classic Anniversary Edition / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Voyager View Post
I did replace the Gaskets, for 6 bucks of insurance why do it twice....

My nomad is still running the stock original gaskets with the roadhouse exhaust and nary a pop or crackle in 36000 miles.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #50

Great news ordered the pipes now on back order until the 29th?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #51

On back order....;-/ I'm bummed out can't wait to get them on!!!

Old 08-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #52

..Had my Cobra Duals off the bike several times..never replace the gasket's..still running the original's..no problem !

Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 AM   #53

I put new gaskets on and still get popping..im thinking of trying Ultra copper to seal the exhaust ports..anyone try it?
DRIVING AUX LIGHTS
KURYAKYN GRIPS RAY'S THROTTLE MODE
CORBIN YOUNG GUNS SEAT
CHROME TANK COVER
14" WINDSHEILD
INFINITY SPEAKERS
KURYAKYN CUP HOLDER

IPOD CONNECTOR
TORDADO AIR KIT
RIDE THE LIGHTNING

Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #54

I learned MANY MANY years ago to ALWAYS use new exhaust port gaskets. I first learned this from dad who said "do it right the first time or DON'T DO IT AT ALL"!

At the beginning of my motorcycle career at the dealership I was extremely fortunate to have 2 really good and conscientious mechanics and a service manager that were top-notch people, honest and also did things the right way. They also taught me the right way, and that was to never re-use gaskets as the consequences could range from minor to major.

Exhaust port gaskets are surely not as important as lets say a head gasket so I can see why peeps ignore replacing them. Some Suzuki and Yamaha gaskets can be re-used in an emergency, they are thick and can be turned around. Most Kawi gaskets are relatively thin and experience major crush with the initial installation so there really is very little "compressibility" left in them to be re-used again. When new gaskets are used I have NEVER had a problem with exhaust leaks except where an aftermarket exhaust was designed or made incorrectly and did not provide proper sealing.

On the 1700's the things that MUST be done to minimize/eliminate decel popping are these items...

Seal/block off the fresh air hose that feeds the Kleen air system...THIS IS A MUST.
Use new gaskets, on aftermarket pipes use hi-temp sealant at EVERY junction where the exhaust tubing connects, and use a washer under each exhaust port nut to insure the stud does not bottom out in the nut.

Insure there are no intake vacuum leaks between the throttle body and intake manifold and between the intake manifold and cylinder heads. Use the throttle body gasket available from Thunder mfg.

Tune the Fuel injection system properly. This is the final stage. Never strive to tune out "problems" without insuring any and all contributing factors have been addressed and eliminated.

RACNRAY

Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 AM   #55

Can anyone tell me if an additional purchase of O2 sensor hole plugs is required? Also is there a good video of the removal and install of the whole process?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 AM   #56

Freedom Performance True Duals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanegger View Post
Can anyone tell me if an additional purchase of O2 sensor hole plugs is required? Also is there a good video of the removal and install of the whole process?

The FP exhaust doesn't come with O2 bungs for the 1700. You have to weld on your own if you plan on using the power comander autotune.

Last edited by koga; 08-20-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #57

New to the Bagger forum and had some questions for you Gents.... I just ordered the FP trues, along with the Cobra Fi2000 Pro for my 2012 Vaquero. Just read that the FP's do not come with holes for O2 sensor, and that if I were to use a PC Auto tune I would have to weld these on. Will I need to do that with the FP and the Cobra? Or should it be a straight forward 'plug and play' as is touted by Cobra? Would appreciate any insight on this.
Thanks

Old 10-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #58

One other question, I've read that some folks wrap the headers. And that doing so mitigates heat and that there is also a performance advantage to it. I am interested more in the heat mitigation aspect rather than performance. I've also read that this wrapping is also painted to protect the wrap even longer. How long will these wraps last before they need replacing? What is used to 'paint' them? Again Thanks for any insight on this.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #59
Advanced Member

C3po

with your're future set up you won't have a 02 sensor to plug in,,, the cobra Fi2000 pro does not require 1. its plug and play

Note on the FP
I just installed on my 1700 Nomad the 2 into 1 combat FP complete system and I love it... much more torque throughout the band than any dual system I have tried in the past.. Racnray will attest to that
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Old 10-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanrider03 View Post
C3po

with your're future set up you won't have a 02 sensor to plug in,,, the cobra Fi2000 pro does not require 1. its plug and play

Note on the FP
I just installed on my 1700 Nomad the 2 into 1 combat FP complete system and I love it... much more torque throughout the band than any dual system I have tried in the past.. Racnray will attest to that
How's the install and sound? I have the V&H 2-1 but there's a mid range tone that bothers my ears.. so I'm thinking of getting them.
DRIVING AUX LIGHTS
KURYAKYN GRIPS RAY'S THROTTLE MODE
CORBIN YOUNG GUNS SEAT
CHROME TANK COVER
14" WINDSHEILD
INFINITY SPEAKERS
KURYAKYN CUP HOLDER

IPOD CONNECTOR
TORDADO AIR KIT
RIDE THE LIGHTNING