Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Vaquero/Voyager tilt sensor

So few weeks back while "experimenting" with my bike, I gently laid it down on it's crash guard. Well it's a good thing I still had clutch in because to my surprise the engine did not cut off. Dealer said he went through Kawis "flow charts" and everything is A okay. I lay it down in front of him and sure enough engine still runs. So he said the only other thing is bad ecu and they ordered new one under warranty. Tomorrow I am supposed to drop bike off to replace ECU. My question is does anyone know if engine actually supposed to cut off if bike lays on crash guard or does it require a more extreme angle?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I believe the "tilt sensor" is supposed to cut off the fuel pump. I would assume the engine would continue to run until residual fuel in the system is consumed. The idea here is to not be spraying gasoline in the case of a crash.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Can't say for sure for the Vaquero/Voyager but my 2006 Nomad shut off instantly when it was put down on the floor board. Didn't touch the crash bar.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 09-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

One day last fall I was pulling to the edge of my gravel driveway didn't notice this car coming up the road and hit the brake and she went over to one side on me just enough to make the vains in your neck pop because you know that it went just a smidgen past that point and no matter how hard you pull she's going down, luckily I wasn't moving but the bike shut down instantly and after I said some very bad words [to my self of coarse for not paying better attention] picked up the bike and she wouldn't start until I turned off the key and then back on again. This is our little secret OK

Old 09-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Can't say for sure for the Vaquero/Voyager but my 2006 Nomad shut off instantly when it was put down on the floor board. Didn't touch the crash bar.
Mine did as well, I was under the assumption the Voyager would do the same thing. I also thought it is not only to stop the flow of gas but also to prevent the engine running in a position that would starve it of oil as the oil is no longer at the bottom of the engine.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Mine did as well, I was under the assumption the Voyager would do the same thing. I also thought it is not only to stop the flow of gas but also to prevent the engine running in a position that would starve it of oil as the oil is no longer at the bottom of the engine.
Yeah Smokey
I ride the same year Voyager as you, when I picked it back up the oil light was flashing and like I said it wouldn't start until I turned the key off and then back on again

Old 09-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #7

Thank you all I got the answer from another forum. It is a pendulum that should shut the engine as it touches the crash bars. Malfunctions often though it seems...

Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #8

When I had my accident with 2010 nomad the motor didn't shut off as fast as I thought it should have.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit