Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #16

Hope this helps.

Under the seat, in the battery compartment, near, or tucked under the rear of the fuel tank. Covered in a wad of electrical tape from the factory. The smell could be as simple as a grocery bag or something kicked up on the exhaust that has now melted away.......BUT, still....find that connector. The only thing you have to remove is the seat and possibly the battery hold down. I was able to locate mine while the battery was in although it would be easier if it was out. No side covers need to be removed.
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Kybenz; 08-24-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #17

Burning smell from my 06 nomad

I'll look again after I get up this afternoon, maybe I have to pull the battery. The pic helps, but the description is better for me. Hard to tell if the connector is right/left/fwd/aft once it's all pulled out.
Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubijk View Post
I'll look again after I get up this afternoon, maybe I have to pull the battery. The pic helps, but the description is better for me. Hard to tell if the connector is right/left/fwd/aft once it's all pulled out.
Thanks for all the help.
Forward, between the rear cylinder and the battery. The bulk of the wires will run down and to the left as you sit on the bike. But the connector sits almost dead center in front of the battery.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Forward, between the rear cylinder and the battery. The bulk of the wires will run down and to the left as you sit on the bike. But the connector sits almost dead center in front of the battery.
tonik, have you checked yours and if so what did you find?
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Rubijk,

I think Kybenz has mentioned the most likely cause of your problem.

Check out the thread below. I have included a couple of photos of the Joint Connector 2.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...oint+connector

<< EE here.

Wow, I'm really surprised Kawasaki would use such a "cheap" way to ground the various circuits. From a production standpoint, it makes sense. But wholy hell that invites potential heat-related problems just like you guys are experiencing. Switching out the plastic ground "bar" for a metal one makes perfect sense to me. Good catch. I'm going to check mine tonight since I too have been experiencing strange electrical gremlins.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #21

So I got to checking wires today, the ground "bar" was clean and tight with no signs of corrosion or overheating, as well as all the other wires running up and over the battery. My grounding "bar" was under the computer on my bike on the LH side and the battery had to be pulled for any kind of access. Gonna pull the LH side cover and check the rectifier plugs next.
I also checked all the wiring nothing is rubbing or touching anything hot in the area, what else should I be looking at?
Cheers

Old 08-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubijk View Post
So I got to checking wires today, the ground "bar" was clean and tight with no signs of corrosion or overheating, as well as all the other wires running up and over the battery. My grounding "bar" was under the computer on my bike on the LH side and the battery had to be pulled for any kind of access. Gonna pull the LH side cover and check the rectifier plugs next.
I also checked all the wiring nothing is rubbing or touching anything hot in the area, what else should I be looking at?
Cheers
Check the rear brake hose yet? Look for a plastic sleeve over it near the oil filter and feel look to see if it is melted.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #23

Well I seem to have the same plastic sheath over my hose as well and it's all melted and rubbed all the paint off where it was touching the oil filter. So I'll gonna try and copy what you did and insulate it from the filter. What did you use CNC? Hoping this is it!
I've checked all the connector nude the LH side cover, all were good did some retapeing to make it pretty but no other issues, cleaned and resealed the connectors so hopefully no electrical issues down the road.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #24

Was your brake hose damaged CNC? I'm gonna try to get a mirror in and see.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #25

So my hose was not damaged, and it's so close to putting the bike away for winter, when the oil change happens I'll try and get a better location for the hose and protect it better!
Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #26

crazy

No hose was fine, just this plastic sleeve over it, as I remember it is only about 6 in long and clearly melted from heat. Guess it was meant to protect the hose but they goofed in the fact it has a low melting point. Run your fingers along the hose where it passes between the frame and the oil filter. If it is melted you will feel it and can see it when you know where to look. As I said I had some asbestos type material and I isolated the hose from touching the oil filter with that.
Guess if it is not that then in your case you got some more detective work to do, good luck.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #27

I'll have to wait and see if the smell comes back, but until then....... I guess I'm gonna ride. I'll get it cover up once the oil filter is removed, I want to ride a bit more before the bike gets tucked into bed for the winter.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #28

Ok, guess I missed your post where you said the plastic was melted rubijk. Bet you that is your issue since you found it melted too. Drove me nuts, I was on a long trip and the bike was brand new, and every time we stopped I smelt the burning.
I have this material I mentioned kicking around so I used that. Other thoughts that should work is a bit of wood stove door gasket ( it's Fibreglass heat proof rope), or canabilize an old hair dryer, bet there is some heat proof material in there that you could wrape the hose in.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136