Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Advanced Member

No more herky / jerky throttle control

In the past I have been critical of Kawasaki's engineering of the fly by wire throttle control system. This skoot was like a crazy person and you never knew what it was going to do next pertaining to throttle control in the low gears, mainly in first gear.

I had gone to five different dealers and nobody wanted to address this problem, even after Kawasaki had issued a work order to resolve the problem.

I finally found a dealer that was willing to help. After the dealer had pulled the intake apart and replaced the intake runners behind the throttle body and all the seals the throttle control was worse, like crazy worse. The tech. had done a real good job of lubing the throttle cables.

I had taken time from work and was present when the Kawasaki rep test rode my skoot. I had made it a point to obtain his contact info so I could deal with him directly. I really didn't trust these dealers by now.

I told him of the worsening condition of the throttle control. Now this factory rep had a real interest in my complaint. After some discussion he offered to come by my house to check out the complaint. He did just that.

Before he arrived I figured out why the conditioned had worsened. On my skoot there is a large amount of clearance between the throttle grip tube and the handle bar. .030" to be exact. After the cables were lubed and with that much clearance or movement, it was pulling on the cables enough to create a throttle response. So a rough city street was a challenge and a real annoyance.

It was my perception there were two different problems. The one that occurred after the dealer worked on the intake system, and the one prior. The rep took a look at what I had found and agreed this could be a problem. He offered to order a new throttle body at that time. I told him I wanted to address one known problem first. Later I took some black electrical tape and wrapped it around the handle bar. This took care of the new jerky control issue that had occurred after the cables had been lubed.

The remaining problem where the the engine would suddenly surge upwards in rpm or drop a 1000 rpm still remained.

To make a long story endless the factory rep ordered a new throttle body and brought it by the my house. We changed it out and the problem went away. This cured the problem. The part where the electronics controls the throttle shaft with a small electric motor is covered and there are 4 security screws holding the cover in place. We used some pliers to remove the screws. Under the cover there is a pinion gear on the electric motor, a large reduction gear and a gear for the throttle shaft. There is an encoder of sorts on the throttle shaft gear also. It's pretty much mechanical in this area, and there was no sign of a problem.

So my best guess is the difference was in the electrical circuitry that's molded in the side. Or engineering could have changed the gear ratio.

But the problem is gone. It took almost two years to get to this point. The factory rep took a real interest in my problem. He was helpful enough to come by my house so I didn't have to ride 45 minutes to the dealer, leave my skoot, get a ride home and BE WITHOUT my transportation to work for who knows how long.

Finding a good dealer and communicating with the rep directly really helps. This dealer and rep took a real interest.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #2

..Good to know Kawasaki Corp..will take more interest in a problem than GM has.. !

Old 07-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Stealership response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
..Good to know Kawasaki Corp..will take more interest in a problem than GM has.. !
My observation leads me to believe Kawasaki Corp. has an active interest. It's the dealerships that can be the problem. The dealership here in town, just a coupla of miles from my house actually told me "they didn't want to work on my bike, I didn't buy it from them, Take it back to the dealer I bought it from."

I walk out speechless.... They will not be getting any more of my business. I have not returned since.

I think the key is getting in touch with the factory rep.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #4

..Local dealership's..Agreed... !

Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #5

Same problem here. My dealer is good and when he called Kaw, they decided to change out throttle body. Been running great ever since. This year tho, I have started using a ethenol gas stabilizer. Improved gas milage and runs great.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #6

They sell it tractor supply for old equipment that dont run good with ethanol.. was thinking of trying it..
DRIVING AUX LIGHTS
KURYAKYN GRIPS RAY'S THROTTLE MODE
CORBIN YOUNG GUNS SEAT
CHROME TANK COVER
14" WINDSHEILD
INFINITY SPEAKERS
KURYAKYN CUP HOLDER

IPOD CONNECTOR
TORDADO AIR KIT
RIDE THE LIGHTNING