Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

road wear

just curious as i am fairly new rider... looks like most guys wear jeans when riding but what about shirts, jackets ? I see everything from long sleeve button ups to short sleeve or sleeveless t shirts on the road.... I have been wearing long sleeve heavy weight t shirts with no jacket since its summer , but next week i will be in NC mountains...been thinkin about a denim or leather vest for over..or maybe short sleeve under a full jacket ? .is this a stupid question ? thanks if no

1970 3hp mini bike
1971 Honda CB 350
1978 Honda CX 500
1994 Honda CRF 230
2013 Kaw Nomad 1700

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #2

Always pack for the weather. It can be 85-90 when you leave your house. When you get to the mountains it will be 15 degrees cooler. When the sun goes down it can get a little chilly. I wear a button up shirt or long sleeve t shirt only because I burn easy. When it's cooler I wear a light jacket. If I'm going to be out in cool weather at night it's a leather.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 06-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

A vent jacket with armor is nice to have also.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #4

..Yesterday reminded me -again- to always take cold weather clothes along !..
I boogied outta town at 85 degrees and rising..for a 50 mile ride up into the High Sierra's..got 20 miles out and ran under a solid overcast..and by the time I got to the top (where I expected 70's)..it was spiting snow flakes!

Didnt have the jacket etc...damn fingers were numb til 9:pm last nite !

Old 06-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthumb View Post
just curious as i am fairly new rider... looks like most guys wear jeans when riding but what about shirts, jackets ? I see everything from long sleeve button ups to short sleeve or sleeveless t shirts on the road.... I have been wearing long sleeve heavy weight t shirts with no jacket since its summer , but next week i will be in NC mountains...been thinkin about a denim or leather vest for over..or maybe short sleeve under a full jacket ? .is this a stupid question ? thanks if no

I suggest rather than trying to conform to the "everybody look" you assess the value you place on minimizing bodily damage and recovery time after a crash. If those things don't concern you, wear whatever you like that looks cool. On the other hand if your level of concern is considerably higher then join the ATGATT (all the gear all the time) crowd. If your assessment is somewhere in the middle then make your own choice to suit your needs.

If you check with some of those riders you see wearing jeans you may find they have armor built into them. Same with some of the shirts.

As suggested above, regardless of your choice, always have enough layers for possible weather conditions.

Ride safe!
VBA #02592

Bash In the Bitterroots 2014
SE Rally in Nacoochee Valley 2016

Don't regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

I live next to the coast of NC and travel to mountains several times a year. I have been in the middle of June and the temp's being around 60's. So that being said, carry some warm clothes for the higher elevations.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #7

Just my 2 cents- I wear a Tourmaster Flex jacket when I travel. It has a water-RESISTANT outer shell, which on the GW or Voyager is plenty in most cases, and it will zip off to a mesh jacket with all the armor still there. 2 minutes you are back in the warm. It also has a thermal liner, which I never use.

For running around I have a Tourmaster Intake 2 that is five years old, been through a head-on crash on my Ninja, and still looks good, has a rain liner AND a thermal liner.

I wear a mesh jacket ever since I realized that they are actually cooler than a t shirt in the heat if you dampen your t and get moving. But then again, I wear shorts and mesh riding pants also.
2008 Aspen Classic camper

Old 06-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #8

No matter what you decide as for "style/safety"...if you get into hot weather, its always easy to take it off...but if you dont have it with you, and you hit cold and wet (and you will)..you cant "put it on" !

Old 06-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
No matter what you decide as for "style/safety"...if you get into hot weather, its always easy to take it off...but if you dont have it with you, and you hit cold and wet (and you will)..you cant "put it on" !
Unless you live where I do, there's no cold weather around here this time of year. Not even "cool" weather.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #10

I dunno ..I used to run a truck for "Flora-Tech" out of Hurricane Utah..down to the Las Vegas area about once a month...I'v seen snow on the streets of Vegas...not common but does happen !

I got married there in 1973..memorial day week end...123 degrees in the shade ! (no snow around there that week end)...(married in vegas...hell I'v done stupid things all over the world)