Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #31
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
I installed the Dunlops when the brick was deader than a door nail at 9,000 miles. The reality was the brick was dead at 8,000 miles but it was later in Fall and i do slow short rides then and so ran out another 1,000 to make 9.
Now I have 30,500 miles on the bike and am still running that tire which is near to the wear bars but not wearing them yet. But soon they will if i get another 1,000 on before road salt.

(The other day i think I made a typo on some thread here stating 32,000 miles. That is wrong I have 30,500)

So 21,500 about now.Kinda beats what a rear mc tire can do huh?

Never the less that CT has been OFF the bike a few times to GREASE the swing arm, check the U Joint , GREASE the drive shaft and hub splines and the top shock bearings (06 1600) The 1500's don't have top shock bearings and I have no idea about the 1700's.
Thanks for the re: That's probably about what I'll get too. Still got a bit of space between the wear bars and tread so it's got a few miles left in it. The middle is showing the most wear of course. I run 28 psi in mine and could probably go with a little less but I like the ride/handling where it's at. We've got lots of chip sealed roads here and they tend to be real rough on tires. My MC tires (Dunlop 404's) were only lasting 6,000 miles or so.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #32
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
I had to put my electric vest on today and turn my heated seat and grips on. Riding in 50 degree weather is tough!
50 degrees and you needed a heated vest, seat and grips? Yep, just shows what wimps are out in Southern California.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
50 degrees and you needed a heated vest, seat and grips? Yep, just shows what wimps are out in Southern California.
Oh Yeah Man they have it rough out there wetha' wise sartin! I don't have any electric clothing, and I don't take any little blue pills yet either

Not a lot I can do about road salt though except move, and I don't like it any place else that much to wanna move.

Of course if one of you RICH guys ever wants me to come winter I might consider that. Won't hold my breath waitin'

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #34

Well, If I was living in cold country, I'd want a snowmobile for when i couldnt Ride my Big Assed Bike

But better Yet...I'd be going for a SUPER CUB On Ski's

OH YEA..Addendum...At 50 degree's..My 02 Nomad,Big Assed Bike...WONT START !

I swear this bike is -related- to me ! :>)

Last edited by Silent Sam; 11-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #35

....Nov. 9th Saturday afternoon,

Took a 80 miler on my Big Assed Bike, out in the N. Sac. Valley (rice farming areas)

Temp was 75 degrees....stopped into a "Duck Club Camp", made some new friend's..shootin the shi---er uh.. talking Duck Huntin !

One of those duck hunters has a late 60's Chevy pick up he just restored...painted in Bronze Metallic...

OH YEA..Now I know what color My Big Assed Bike will be by next spring !

..Metallic Bronze, and pale butter yellow ! (I wonder if I can get-away with riding around with a outboard 2 gal gas can for a fuel tank...and no fenders, while I'm in the process ?..also gotta con-coct a fuel pump..)

About the only time I cant ride in the winter is when we get a cold blowin rain storm..those last 24 hours..then we usually get a day or two of sunshine til the next storm !

Login or Register to Remove Ads