Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

Cobra Tri Ovals

I just got my new Cobra Tri Ovals in last evening. It was a easy install. Sounds good in the garage. I will ride some today, but am very busy. They do seem to pop a lot. Has anyone installed the Thunder TB gasket to help stop the poping ?? How did it work for you ??

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynker View Post
I just got my new Cobra Tri Ovals in last evening. It was a easy install. Sounds good in the garage. I will ride some today, but am very busy. They do seem to pop a lot. Has anyone installed the Thunder TB gasket to help stop the poping ?? How did it work for you ??
The first thing to do is to block off the hose that feeds the fresh air into the exhaust port system. That hose is located on the back side of the right side airbox at about the 11 o'clock position. That system allows air to enter the exhasut ports on decel and contributes to popping.

Intake vacuum leaks on the 1700's are well documented, and installing the thunder gasket is a good thing to do. Engines should not have vacuum leaks...period!!

RACNRAY

Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #3

I blocked that hose as soon as I got the bike home. But thanks. I also used some muffler putty, to seal the new exhaust to the stock headers. I will order the gasket tonight. I have always cleared every popping problem on both my Nomads, and my V2K. I have never heard as much popping as I do after installing these pipes.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynker View Post
I blocked that hose as soon as I got the bike home. But thanks. I also used some muffler putty, to seal the new exhaust to the stock headers. I will order the gasket tonight. I have always cleared every popping problem on both my Nomads, and my V2K. I have never heard as much popping as I do after installing these pipes.
As was said to me by a few others, including the Cobra rep, take a close listen to the stock pipes, You WILL hear popping on decel, it is just so well muffled as to almost unnoticeable, but it is there, I know because I listened to mine when I went back to stock pipes for a week or so. If you have a hypercharger that will also amplify the sound according to my mechanic. IMO we just have to live with it, and yes, I put the gasket in, checked the headers etc etc, it is still there and to be honest, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #5

Try switching to 87 octane fuel and adjust your idle to +100 rpm and 97% of the problem will be gone, I have the same pipes with the same issue and this worked for me.
Cobra Power Pro
K&N High Intake Air Filter
EOM 15 Inch Windshield
EOM Aux Driving Lights
EOM iPod Kit, iPod Touch
Mustang Wide Touring Studded Seat
Castrol Full Synthetic Racing Oil
Kuryakyn Black Iso Grips
Kuryakyn Stiletto Grip Ends
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Black Scythe Mirrors
Michelin Commander II Tires

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #6

I thought you had to run premium on the vaquero?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #7

Run the lowest octane fuel you can that does not result in engine ping.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordhunt View Post
I thought you had to run premium on the vaquero?
I have found thru the years that on some (not all) skoots a lower octane than what is recommended by the maker can be used, and will make improvements to the running performance.

Most Vulcan owners that have tried lower octane fuel have reported slightly better mpg, a bit better pick-up and smoother acceleration and cruising.

I myself did the test, running 93 for the first 800 mls or so, stepping down to 89. Noticed about .5 mpg improvement, better pick-up and a slightly smoother runnin engine.

Then went down to 87, no noticeable improvement but more importantly no pinging, which is what octane levels are for.

Try the next lower octane on ur skoot on ur next tank of gas, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised. If that works then try 87, as long as there is no pinging you will be safe and with a few more pennies in ur pocket!!

RACNRAY

Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinhyland View Post
Try switching to 87 octane fuel and adjust your idle to +100 rpm and 97% of the problem will be gone, I have the same pipes with the same issue and this worked for me.
I do run 87 gas, and reset my idle,I also put a 470 ohm 1/4 Watt resister in line of the cold air sensor. All these things cured all my other Kawasakis from popping, but not this one. Last night I removed the cobras ( very lose fit) and used some muffler sealant at the connections, and reinstalled. I will see if that helps today.
Thanks for everyone's help. It just might be one of those things that will not go away.
Update::: muffler putty did not help with the popping.

Last edited by Tynker; 06-13-2013 at 09:22 PM.