Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

New seat options

Hi Guys,

Well I've got 842 miles on my '12 Mean Green Vaquero now, and just dropped it off for 1st service. I finally got more than just a few miles on it in one go this past weekend, when I managed to get a nice 200 (approx) mile ride on Saturday, and about 100 miles on Sunday.

I'm not noticing any improvement in how the stock seat feels. I thought that perhaps with some miles on it, the feel and fit might improve. But man, after that ride on Saturday it felt like I was sitting on a log... sideways. Getting back on for the Sunday ride didn't help much but I gave it a good college try.

So to my question: What recommendations are there for a seat to replace this thing? Are the seats in the Kawasaki brochure worth anything?

In the past, with other bikes I've had a mixture of success. The seat on my '99 VStar was okay, but I never put all that many miles on it. Same with my '00 H-D Fatboy. The stock seat on my '00 Honda Valkyrie was primo and I put a ton of miles on that bike (25k + in 13 months). Never had an issue with the '01 Goldwing seat. Same with the '03 H-D Softail Standard. My '08 H-D Street Glide had a good seat, and my '98 Valkyrie had a Corbin, which was likewise pretty nice.

So, right now I'm thinking Corbin Young Guns Saddle, at $439. I've never ridden on a Mustang, or Ultimate, or Russell, or any other after-market brand except for the Corbin. At 5'9" tall and a 29" inseam, along with an old tailbone injury I guess it can be difficult to find a seat that fills all the requirements.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

I have 400 miles on my Russell so far. Love the comfort. A little awkward at stops because you have to scoot up a little but I can't imagine a more comfortable seat.
Utopia rider backrest
KQR backrest and luggage rack
Kruzer Kaddy
Garmin gps with mounted case
13" Cee Baileys dark tinted windshield
Passenger floorboards
Kury tombstone bag
TLC bag liners--STILL WAITING????

Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Seats are very subjective. Russell (Daylong) seats work for me, Mustangs dont.
Take a look at the new Airhawk offering. It has a cutout in the tail bone area. It might help you and its cheaper than a Mustang or a Daylong.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #4

Have you tried to rework your stock seat the two seats from Kawa are no good I am a 5.9 and 29inseam and I like the mustang seat I am on my balls of my feet but I can ride 350 miles no problem ad one on my yamaha raider to and the wife and I both liked it alot same as with this one. Seats me about even with the stock seat and for her she loves it moves me back about a inch. Think when I can afford it I will have a gell pad put in it not to raise it but lower it just a little bit. But realy like the seat if you want lower get a corbin seat their the lowest.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

Kontour Seats claims to rebuild your seat pan using the same technology that is used in the seats of fighter aircraft. That means they stay pretty close to the original thickness so you don't have to worry about having to stop on your toes. While I haven't gone on any long trips, I can now say that the ventilation claims are spot on! They are expensive, similar to other custom seats.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #6

IMO the vaquero seat is the worst I've ever owned. This is the first bike I've ever replaced the seat on. I had dealer issues last year so Kawasaki North America gave me $500 in credit so went with mustang seat w drivers backrest. Just put it on this weekend but no distance rides to report on yet. Wife has probably 3 additional inches of padding so she is enthused too. Seems great so far. I'm 6'4 so never had stance issues with seats.....
VBA #2354

Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #7

I have and like the corbin dual tour seat.tried the kawi gel tour seat but it was pretty much junk.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #8

I got tired of buying new seats and got an air hawk and love it.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #9

I like the mustang seat with backrest, but on the other hand my husband doesn't like mustang. He has a Corbin seat with a backrest, he has had a hip replaced and the mustang hurts him. So go with what you feels works best for you.