Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Top Contributor

8/27 Ride to the Blue Ridge

Good ride up to the Blue Ridge today. Anyone ever put your trip on google maps then looks at the 3D...it retraces through 3d animation. Pretty cool. I tried to put the link on here somehow but never got it to work.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Todd; 08-27-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Glad you had a good time Todd. Wish I could have made it down there last year. You will have to compare that with some of the rides next year.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

Ha! Yeah... Once I map a route I always double-check via the 3D replay to see if it is as good as I hoped.

It is a great tool... Although it can really heat-up your laptop when using it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #4

im considering riding the Blue Ridge with the girlfriend, from Cherokee to the end..think its 470ish.and to cherokee is prob 260 ish from house. so with a 45mph speed and stops and all how long should i give it to do it..Is the mile high bridge worth going to see? any good places to stay that dont require a bank loan,,,
thx guys...
Crab

Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab View Post
im considering riding the Blue Ridge with the girlfriend, from Cherokee to the end..think its 470ish.and to cherokee is prob 260 ish from house. so with a 45mph speed and stops and all how long should i give it to do it..Is the mile high bridge worth going to see? any good places to stay that dont require a bank loan,,,
thx guys...
Crab

I would plan on 3-4 days just because there are places to stop and look and a few places, like Mabry Mill, that you can spend an hour or so looking around. You could do quicker if you just rode straight through.

Lotss of places to stay in the small towns along the way. For the most part you will need to ride a few miles off the Parkway. Plenty of affordable places near Cherokee..then Maggie Valley...then Asheville...a couple places on the way just off the parkway around Little Switzerland and Mt. Mitchell...then Boone would be a real nice spot (make sure to eat breakfast at the Daniel Boone Inn..only cash but great food)...several hotels at I74/Fancy Gap....Roanoke...Peaks of Otter Lodge is nice but a little more pricey...

So the short answer is yes..there are plenty of places to stay that wont kill you on cost. 3-4 days on the Parkway and then a day or two back on Highways.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I've done the whole thing as well as most of Skyway Drive.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
Ha! Yeah... Once I map a route I always double-check via the 3D replay to see if it is as good as I hoped.

It is a great tool... Although it can really heat-up your laptop when using it.
Ok, what are u guys talking about. Google, mapping, review????? I use garmin to do my maping... Can I upload it to google and check it out? Is this what you are talking about.

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Old 09-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueraven View Post
Ok, what are u guys talking about. Google, mapping, review????? I use garmin to do my maping... Can I upload it to google and check it out? Is this what you are talking about.
If you have upgraded your Google (which I'll assume you have, as it asks you to do so when it needs it), you should be able to use the 3-D mode.

First map a route on google, or from you Garmin software. (I have to use Basecamp for Apple. One of the Garmin options is to view your route on Google. So, check that so it loads it to Google.)

Once the route shows on Google maps, hit "Directions". Once that loads-up on the left side where it shows the various waypoints, turns and etc; there is an option to view it in 3-D mode. It is a small icon that is easy to miss. Keep looking for it. It should be near the top portion of the "directions" panel on the left.

You do need to have a reasonable computer to handle the graphic-load.

Hopefully you'll find it...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417