Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #1

1999 Nomad Sputter and Die (in Rain?)

Hi All,

Just bought a used 1999 Nomad 1500. Seems basically stock, aside from the V&H exhaust, and (I believe) Judge's Oil Gear. So far, I like it. Runs great.

I took it out in the rain today for the first time. After two hours in the rain in the city, I pulled in the clutch to come to a stop (the same as I did at many stops before). The machine made a quick "phhht" noise (like it was venting steam... not to say that I think it is steam, but that's what it sounded like), and then immediately died. I hit the starter button, and it started up with no problems. It ran perfectly right up until the moment where I pulled in that clutch to stop. This happened twice, with perhaps 15 minutes in between. Then I rode home without incident.

Now, I automatically assume that the rain is related. However, if moisture were seeping in I would think that: (a) it wouldn't restart so easily, and (b) it would have started running poorly before (or after) the failure.

I'm certainly no mechanic, but I've checked a few electric things that seem possible to me: poor battery connections, moisture in the plugs.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I hate to make a mountain of a molehill, but like I said, it's new to me and I'd like to track down any problems before I go for any long rides.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Is your bikes idle on the low side? Could be idled too low. My 2008 has done the same a few times over the three years I have ridden. Don't think the rain had anything to do with it or it wouldn't have started right back up.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #3

I agree, it could be idled to low. Previous owner trying to get the lope sound of the Harley. Try idling it up a bit.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #4

Check the plunger switch on the clutch lever. Is it still covered? Pull the covers off and spray some silicone into the plunger, then put the covers back on.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
I agree, it could be idled to low. Previous owner trying to get the lope sound of the Harley. Try idling it up a bit.
All of my previous motorcycles have been sport bikes... Of course the Nomad sounds like it idles low to me!

I don't think it idles unusually low for this style of machine, but when I get home tonight I'll listen to it closely. Too bad there is no tachometer. Good suggestion, thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
Check the plunger switch on the clutch lever. Is it still covered? Pull the covers off and spray some silicone into the plunger, then put the covers back on.

MT
So your hypothesis here is that the clutch actuation is not as quick as it could be. As a result, it's still partially connected when I'm coming to that stop and it stalls as a result. Is that right?

Also another possibility I hadn't considered. I'll be sure to take a look.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. As soon as I thought "rain" I thought "electric" and nothing else even entered my mind. It's good to have some other impartial suggestions!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathia View Post
All of my previous motorcycles have been sport bikes... Of course the Nomad sounds like it idles low to me!

I don't think it idles unusually low for this style of machine, but when I get home tonight I'll listen to it closely. Too bad there is no tachometer. Good suggestion, thanks!
Checked the idle... It was good. I went out in the rain again and had no problems today, so I'll just have to continue to monitor it.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathia View Post
So your hypothesis here is that the clutch actuation is not as quick as it could be. As a result, it's still partially connected when I'm coming to that stop and it stalls as a result. Is that right?

Also another possibility I hadn't considered. I'll be sure to take a look.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. As soon as I thought "rain" I thought "electric" and nothing else even entered my mind. It's good to have some other impartial suggestions!
So I looked at the teardown of the lever and finally figured out what MT meant. He was referring to the clutch / starter lockout switch. That switch only seems to have an effect on the starter system, so I doubt that's it. But for good measure I took a look at the rubber boot that sits over it. It's in good condition and there doesn't appear to be any moisture getting in. I don't have any silicone sealant so I couldn't try that.

But thanks anyway!

Tags
1500, 1999, nomad, rain, stall