Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

Trailer Wiring

Yeah, I know, it's me again.

I have a trailer hitch on the way, (Chuckster) and am trying to formulate my plan for wiring. I have already seen numerous recommendations for the Hoppy isolator, and have also seen that most people recommend connecting to the bike at the plug near the battery box. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get OEM style wiring harness plugs and make the equivalent to a "plug and play" harness so I didn't have to solder directly to the OEM harness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
Yeah, I know, it's me again.

I have a trailer hitch on the way, (Chuckster) and am trying to formulate my plan for wiring. I have already seen numerous recommendations for the Hoppy isolator, and have also seen that most people recommend connecting to the bike at the plug near the battery box. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get OEM style wiring harness plugs and make the equivalent to a "plug and play" harness so I didn't have to solder directly to the OEM harness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
That would be nice, I looked and looked when I did my trailer, but that was 4 years ago. Maybe someone has come up with a plug and play harness since. I kind of doubt it, though.

If you look under the seat, you'll see the taillight wiring harness where it comes through the rear fender. Follow it forward, and you'll find a 6-pin connector where the taillight harness plugs into the main wiring harness. Remove the tape for a few inches from the connector on the taillight side. That's where you want to make your splices. If you hose the taillight harness, a new one is something like $30. A LOT cheaper than the main harness. With a test light or VOM you can easily figure out which pin is the stop, tail and the left and right turn wires.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

Actually Chuckster has a wiring kit... Give him a call. I have his hitch and wiring harnes on my 2009 Nomad and it worked great.
It's not plug and play but it does work very well.

Last edited by Jesus Freak; 04-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

Send a note to barryge@comcast.net. He did a plug play connector my 1700 classic, I'm sure he still has the info

Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I have formulated my plan. Hopefully it works. I am planning on using the Hoppy 46365. I found the appropriate connectors to mate to the plug next to the battery box, so I plan on making my own "plug and play" isolator. If it works, I'll post the instructions for the plug and play part. The bike is still too new for me to go hacking the harness. At least not without a fight. LOL

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #6

I pull a trailer with my 2011 Vaquero. I bought a Kuryakyn UNIVERSAL trailer wiring harness (isolator) and also the matching 5 to 4 Kuryakyn kit, you will need both of these and they should set you back about 90 bucks.

Roadie
2011 Vaquero
"Magia Negra"
Black is Faster

Amsoil Oil
TLC Bag Liners
PH Custom Bag Bras
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-Oval SlipOns
Thunder Tornado Air Kit
Madcorider Oil Tempstick
Marvellas Trailer Hitch Kit
Rumbling Pride Flag Mounts
Sage Brush Leather Tank Bib
Grasshopper Drivers Backrest
Classic's Engine/Road Bar Chaps
Cee Bailey's 9" Smoked Windscreen

4 Wheels Move the Body ..... 2 Wheels Move the Soul

Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #7

I went to Autozone and purchased a 5 to 4 wire converter and the 4 wire pigtail for less than $20. Mounted the converter under the left side cover and ran the wiring under the seat. Made my tie-ins at the harness where the taillights plug in.