Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 12-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
Top Contributor

Folks, it does my soul good to hear you guys say that Maggie Valley was a highlight for you. Amy and my wife Sherri will verify that I am somewhat of a perfectionist and like things to go as planned. Those that witnessed the "stunt rider encounter" will understand. My thanks to Amy for helping with all the administration and organization stuff...the rally wouldn't have been pulled off as smooth without it. My thanks to Trip for all he has done to start this "little" group and his support through the whole thing. My thanks to everyone who volunteered to help during the Rally with rides, routes, setting up tables, etc etc etc. Especially thanks to my wife, Sherri, for coming along, helping, and putting up with my ass for the whole time.

So..my highlight from a VBA perspective is definitely the week in Maggie. I was never so happy and so sad at the same time for an event to be over in my life. My need for planning and for things to flow as I intended and my wish that EVERY SINGLE PERSON enjoyed themselves kept me a little uptight during it...but meeting all of you that attended and riding with you and just hanging out made it all worth while and then some.

Some that stick out for that week:

- I was either adopted or kidnapped by the Canadian "eh" crew one night and hung with them and Trosco up in the Canadian Club til the weee hours of the morning. Sly may be my Canadian brother we never talked about . I can recall most of the night as time has passed

- The ride with Kawgirl and Kawhead amongst the hail and tornadoes and then sitting it out in the restroom at the city park (dont ask) with some locals that just may have appeared in the movie Deliverance.

- Leading the morning portion of the Waterfalls Ride up the mountain dodging trees, limbs, and debris on hairpin turns...HOLY CRAP. I kept waiting for someone to call me an F-ing idiot and take the whole group back down the mountain.

- The opening cookout (once we got through that long line)and standing up on the little stage and seeing everyone out there in crowd. I was proud to be part of that group.

- Hanging under the North Central tent in the back parking lot (I was sworn to secrecy about the events by Greg)

-Cindy (Mrs TC) right on my tail going through some sweet twisties and we were both going like bats outta hell and TC saying we were nuts. Really enjoyed hanging and riding with those guys.

- And finally, just sitting there at check-in watching all of you that rode in that day and seeing so many meeting for the first time, and for myself, meeting some of you for the first time.

Like I said I was happy it was over, but I was really sad it was over too. I wish I could have just taken an extra day after it was over and hang with all of you that were there.

Can't wait to ride to Colorado and see many of you again.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Todd; 12-31-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #17
Top Contributor

For us, 2011 was a better year than 2010 for sure.

This year my wife got back to work in early Feb., albeit it at a job she totally hated with Premera Blue Cross. She hung in there though and in Nov. got a job she really likes at a local Credit Union as a loan officer. It is closer to home, better hours and about $500 more a month...and back in the finance industry she has been in her whole working life. Best of all...if momma is happy....everyone is happy....!

The Redwoods Rally was a little bittersweet for me. All the planning went well, the ride down and back with our group was great, the friends I saw or met were all awesome. The Redwoods themselves are bucket list stuff, and the Oregon Coast is a real pleasure to ride. Getting to share it all with my wife Tricia was a great pleasure and we really enjoyed that part of it.

What troubled me was the fact that three riders crashed and totaled their bikes, one enroute to the rally, one while at the rally, and one after departing the rally. Now these things happen, but not usually to that degree. I felt sorry for the riders, one of whom had to ship all his gear and fly home, but relieved that the injuries they suffered were all relatively minor given what COULD have happened. You never wish to see this stuff happen to anybody, so for me personally, it kind of took a bit of the lustre off of the event. Hopefully, the many VBA events planned for 2012 will be spared from any of that kind of stuff....

Another real treat for me was prior to the August Redwoods Rally, in July, I made a long solo 3000 mile northern loop up through BC, into Alberta, then back into Idaho, Montana and Oregon before heading home to Washington. Meeting up and riding for several days along the route with Mike (Lomax), Vince (delivery58) and Greg (schoeney) made for a special week. I got to ride briefly with several other members here as well on the trip, but those mentioned spent several days chugging along with me.

Each day was a special one, as I had planned my route along so many great roads and the diversity of terrain from one state or province to another is not easily described. My favorite part of the ride though was with Lomax. After riding the entire day from Prince George, BC to Jasper, Alberta in a cold, miserable rain, we awoke the next morning to brilliant blue sky and no wind or clouds for our ride through Jasper National Park along the Icefields Parkway. The beauty of the Canadian Rockies and the lonesome serenity of that 150 miles of roadway from Jasper to Lake Louise is just unbelievable.

Some other great parts of the route were Idaho Hwy 93 along the Salmon River...Stanley, ID....the "Rattlesnake Grade" coming north from Enterprise, OR on Hwy 3 into Washington as it crosses the Grande Ronde River. Geez...I could go on and on and on....

Happy New Year and may you all have a safe and prosperous 2012. Plan to attend a VBA rally in your region this summer, it will be the most fun you have all year....!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 12-31-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Top Contributor

Actually making it to Maggie Valley for the national rally has to be my highlight. My wife was in the hospital the very weekend before the rally and we thought there was no way we were going to be able to make it. We managed to get there on the second day. Wasn't able to take in any of the planned rides but did get to meet many people I only knew on the forum which made the effort worthwhile. Then to put the icing on the cake, darned if I didn't win the Vulcan Nation jacket at the closing banquet!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Actually making it to Maggie Valley for the national rally has to be my highlight. My wife was in the hospital the very weekend before the rally and we thought there was no way we were going to be able to make it. We managed to get there on the second day. Wasn't able to take in any of the planned rides but did get to meet many people I only knew on the forum which made the effort worthwhile. Then to put the icing on the cake, darned if I didn't win the Vulcan Nation jacket at the closing banquet!
Speaking of that Bob , didn't we tell you now you had to change your screen name to Vulcan Jacket?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Speaking of that Bob , didn't we tell you now you had to change your screen name to Vulcan Jacket?
I think that is the least you could do Bob, after all didn't we just vote to change the VBA slogan to match your jacket?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #21

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
I wouldn't have missed that tornado, hail, and thunderstorm at the National Rally for nothing! That was a hell of an adventure and gives a story to tell. Every time I ride with Todd and Kawgirl at a rally something kick-ass death defying exciting happens! Thankfully, I didn't end up in the ER this time.

The rest of my best memory includes returning to the camp ground, rain soaked, and my friends CoachA, Tammy, David, and his wife had warm pizza and Gentleman Jack waiting on me in the laundromat!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Maggie Valley was my first rally. Made new friends. Thanks for making it a special first rally.

Mike Bryant "CarolinaKid"

2007 Candy Red/Titanium Nomad
VBA # 1203
AMA # 1088875
VROC # 30589
Patriot Guard