Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Maybe she can get you a "lift" for your mug!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Thanks mobandy..... actually, by B'day is not until Dec. I convinced my wife to get me the lift early.
Well then... Happy early Birthday!

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #18
VBA Founder

Thanks Matt!!

BD, my mug is in the same shape yours is..... NO HOPE.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 12-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Many of you may know this, but at the Antlers rally, I thought I had a loud whine that sounded like the bevel gear bearing was going out.

Jim Morrow did me a favor and took a ride on Ruby Earl to check it out. Annette's 1500 had the bearing go out before and he knew what to listen for. Jim couldn't really hear anyhting and suggested that I put Ruby Earl on a lift and see if the whine was present.

Well, my wife, Kathy got me a Craftsman moto lift for my b'day last week. Coupled with my Idaho Jack Adaptor, I lifted Ruby Earl today. Ran it in gear, stationary for about 15 minutes, .... accelerated and de-accelerated....but couldn't hear any whine at all.

So, I'm guessing it's my tires.

Thanks for all your help Jim. I'm going to consider this issue over with and blame it on my back tire.

Well thats great news. I know the sound Ruby E was making wasn't anything like Annette's Nomad was making. Which I didn't hear the whine hers was making in the early stages. Her Nomad was making a sound like using a skill saw to cut corrugated tin when she had me ride it . When I put her Nomad on a lift it still made that sound. She said she had been hearing a whine but thought it was her tires and then all of a sudden (within 20 mile) it started making the loud grind sound. When I got the Nomad apart and got the bearing out it was shot, the steel balls were black, rough and very loose in the race. I think the loud grinding sound was from the bearing rubbing aganist the bearing retainer because it was ground down.
VBA #146

Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
Advanced Member

It appears E3's start to whine about 1/2 way thru their life. Kinda like - never mind!!! Don't think it is a problem unless you are super sensitive to whining! Hangin around here everyone should be used to whining already anyways! The old Metzler ML2 Plus tires used to sing in the corners but were probably one of the best they ever made! Of course they discontinued them!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Waddys talking about Trip? I do those "most interesting man in the world" commercials. After slapping you silly you'd be compelled to thank me!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 12-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Thanks mobandy..... actually, by B'day is not until Dec. I convinced my wife to get me the lift early.
You are a very persuasive guy, Trip!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #23
VBA Founder

My wife is totally dedicated to me, unlike some........... nevermind.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #24

Glad someone addressed a whine. I had a clutch fluid boil on the way to KVRF in Bardstown, KY in 2010. Let the clutch cool and rode the bike another 110 miles to my destination. I was able, with the help of Scatman and BP to change out the fluid at Rexdog's Dog Pound. Scatman rode the bike and said I was lucky that the bevel gear didn't fail. I rode the bike home and BP and I changed the fluids again. But....ever since the boil, I've had a high pitched whine in 5th gear. Funny thing is when I pull in the clutch lever, the noise stops. I keep feeling the engine around the bevel gear area and it is no warmer than the other areas of the case. I've put over three thousand miles on the '03 Nomad since Bardstown so I guess (hope) everything is OK. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #25

Yeah sas, LW had the same issue with the brake fluid boiling in the clutch slave. Only differences are he had no clutch with the boiling fluid and then had a fire. I think his repair bill was well over $2k. Send him a PM asking about his experience.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 12-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
My wife is totally dedicated to me, unlike some........... nevermind.

yea right!! your the kind of guy that buys your wife motocycle stuff like it's meant for her huh? I know your type.

Member # 0005

Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #27

I'm familiar with the results of a bevel gear failure, cajun rider, because Chappy had one go out in his '03 Nomad about four years ago, then Wallly had a failure on his. Big bucks to repair. Fortunately, after my clutch cooled down, I had use of it again and was able to reach Bardstown with no more problems. I just don't understand the high whining noise I still hear. I do have Elite III's on the Nomad but I also have them on the 'Wing but, pardon the expression, the 'Wing don't sing'.