Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Not quite baling wire and chewing gum...

Yesterday, I went for a short ride and, on the way back, heard a strange sound -- like I had dragged a spray paint can for a split second. I had bought my grandaughter some accessories for her bicycle, had put them in my saddlebag and, when the sound didn't happen again, convinved myself that they were the source of the noise. (I'm gullible at times)

Today, riding into DC, I turned a tight right and heard the exact sound again. This time, there was no way the sound originated from inside the bags. Like yesterday, the sound came from the right-hand side. Now, I had a pattern. It had to be the exhaust.

As I proceeded to my office, the pipe was hitting the ground more and more (Some rough streets in DC.) It was still dark out. Should I pull over and feel around the hot pipe to confirm what I already knew, or try to make it all the way? I chose to proceed.

Upon arrival, I visually confirmed that I was missing those two bolts that attach the pipe to the bag support, then went into the office and ronayers'd to locate what size I needed. I also went scrounging around the office for a coat hangar. Plastic and wood hangars seem to be our preference, but I eventually found one in an empty box in a supply cabinet.

Then, I began thinking about the best way to crawl around on the DC street in my office attire to properly use the wire. It eventually dawned on me (duh!) to remove the saddlebag. I had made quick release bolts (see gadget's) so it was no problem. Hardly got my hands dirty.

Just like the old days: Bolts? We' doan need no stinking bolts!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #2

"Just like the old days: Bolts? We' doan need no stinking bolts!"

Note to self, keep chewin' gum, duct tape and an old wire hanger in the saddlebag
VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Should have just plucked a big booger and stuck it on. When those things dry you need dynamite to get them off.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Bob, You better get some stinkin' bolts man!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #5

Sometimes a length of wire and a roll of ductape can do wonders when problems arise.

Login or Register to Remove Ads