Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #1

Help

I dumped my bike today in the garage. After washing and waxing the bike I rolled it in the garage and absent minded let it go before extending the kick stand (not good). The bike fell and got scratched ( left hard bag). Deep scratch. ???
Any suggestions on how I could minimize this eye sore short of getting a new bag?
Thanks.
Konan

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #2

Help

Don't know what color of bike you have, but I've had some success with Turtle wax? color wax. It just makes it not so noticeable.

I've heard of people using a close match of finger nail polish, or there's the Colorite exact match.

Except for repainting the lid, everything else will just be making it not so noticeable.

I remember doing that on my 99 nomad when it didn't have any scratches. I pulled into the garage and let it go without the kickstand all the way down. It rolled over and dropped on my rototiller. It got a really good scratch right on the saddle bag lid. Ouch.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Help

As Dan said. Run water over the scratch and if the scratch disappears momentarily, then the scratch is in the clear coat and clear nail polish and a lot of elbow grease will "minimize" it. If the water didn't make the scratch disappear then the paint is gouged and you will need some Colorite to touch it up.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #4

Help

Quote:
I dumped my bike today in the garage. After washing and waxing the bike I rolled it in the garage and absent minded let it go before extending the kick stand (not good). The bike fell and got scratched ( left hard bag). Deep scratch. ???
Any suggestions on how I could minimize this eye sore short of getting a new bag?
Thanks.
Konan
What color are you trying to repair?
I have the Colorite numbers for Red, Black and Clear if that will help you.
Sorry you're having a problem

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 02-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #5

Help

I parked very close to a brick wall one day at work so would not get clipped from left side. When came back to bike got my jacket out of the right saddle bag. Got on bike set it up....heard the crunch sound...darn door wasn't latched good..opened scratched top of saddlebag door.

I waxed and waxed as still could see small scratch. Then I used some Lemon Pledge Wax....can't see scratch anymore.....don't ask me why this works but heard this from others...tried it...it worked for me...good luck.

Two lessons learned....don't park so close to building and make sure when turn key on saddlebag it latched by pulling on handle.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

Help

"Then I used some Lemon Pledge Wax....can't see scratch anymore.....don't ask me why this works but heard this from others...tried it...it worked for me...good luck."

Lemon pledge or the WalMart generic substitute works great on all surfaces. I use it exclusively on my windshield, and great to have in the saddle bag for a shinny wipe down.

Sorry to hear about the fall. Joe

Old 02-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #7

Help

Konan, sorry to hear about the scratches. I have done the exact thing only in an empty driveway.No scratches, just bruised ego as the bike was lying there for the whole neighborhood to see.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #8

Help

Guys. Thanks a lot for all the input. My bike is 04 blue and grey. The grey on the saddle bag is where the scratch is located.
I will try some of the remedies suggested. I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks again.
Konan