Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #16

Oil Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
Glad the pproblem seems fixed..Were you using Irving Gas :)? You must have gone to Friend and Friend Honda/Kawasaki./Victory in Ellsworth.. A pretty good place. I live 25/30 minutes from there! bummer I didnt know you were down here I would have stop in to say Hi

Rich
Yes, that is exactly where they towed me.
GREAT people there at the shop, very courteous!
They told me that no one burns high test there because it sometimes sits and will condense and turn to water if not fresh.
The regular is fresh,.....so it's better gas!!!
They also told me that gas should NEVER sit longer than 2 weeks,........or it will get water in it!

The best 'GPS' is a full tank of gas!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Oil Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Ping is caused by too lean. I think something is wrong with the test equipment if it showed too rich and you still had ping, or the fuel was bad, but this was on going a long time right?

Ping is caused by not enough fuel to stay fuel untill the plugs fire the mix. So it is a early explosion and not controlled burning.

This will burn holes thru piston tops, burn valves and seats, and will gas cut piston edges, just like a torch, but at random.

PING can be in- audible and will do engien damage before you can hear it. This is what anti knock sencors are all about, but Nomads don't have that sencor.

Also ping on any ignition suste that is adjustable as Ring stated would be advanced too much for the fuel type it was getting.

Back in the day some Engish cars had a octane adjustment rod on the distributors. The ingnition time was set on a base setting in the middle of the adjuster set to what was a common octane, but it you went somewhere and could only buy a higher or lower octane it was possible to sort of adjust the device in a guess and get a closer correct burn.

There is no such thing as too rich and still getting ping.

These engines are 9:1 comp ratio, and that comp ratio is for 87 octane. The reason the book says hi test is because the EPA regs are too overly lean.

I can't determine with out a leak down test if there is any damage. A comp test (wet and dry) and a leak down test are required to tell.
All too interesting,..................my case,.....the pinged since new on high test. I always had to baby it so that it wouldn't ping but feared it still did and I just couldn't hear it.
I was told to do the Chuckster intake mod,.........so I did!
This worked for a bit then I started to ping again. Burning regular.
Bought a Cobra 2000 and this too seemed to work for awhile. Burning regular.
Then the oil consumption started. Burning high test.
New rings, pistons,.......the bike pings with regular gas but seems okay with high test?
Then the idle,......this has never been right since the bike was new, it runs fast, then slow then fast, impossible to set the idle as it surges. Even at 90 kms per hour it surges.
Now for the interesting stuff.
Went on holiday drove through Maine and the bike acted up, didn't want to run, bogged down, after three tank fulls it was done,.............won't start!!!! Burning high test
Towed to a bike shop in Ellsworth and there they found water in the tank, drained it and the bike ran good. On regular gas!!
They pour in a can of ???? to remove the carbon from the valves,..............well I'm here to say that this was a miracle product!!!
The bike seems to idle better now, I don't feel it surging! Wow!!! This is a first. still burning regular gas.
NO PINGING ?????
Is the pinging related to carbon on the valves?
HOWEVER,..................I still have an oil consumption problem!!!!!!!!!

These words say VACUUM LEAK and specificly 'Hunting Vacuum Leak.

"Then the idle,......this has never been right since the bike was new, it runs fast, then slow then fast, impossible to set the idle as it surges. "

WHAT if anything was done about that? And No you can't get idle and or set any device to adjust mix with a vacuum leak period.

A vac leak WILL lean out any mix, as it is un-metered air getting to the combustion chambers. This will cause wicked heat and ping too.

If this was not hunted down and fixed, then the mix used to hide it is very rich, and will kill MPG's MPK's.

This needs more attention in detail, but a tech who knows how to hunt a vac leak. That could be you if you will do it.

This is a 08? with new valve work and rings?

If I were you I would get a old fashion propane torch head and a small bottle of plumbers type gas (propane)

Start the engine and pull the right side cover off, up to the backing plate.

Turn on the torch but DO NOT light it, and place the nozzel right at both throttle body ports with the engine running.

Does the RPM go UP? (lean)
Does the engine stumble and begin to stall because it can't take more fuel? (Rich)

Does the RPM first go up , then gag and RPM drops? You added too much fuel but the increase in RPM still shows a lean mix.

If this happens try again holding the nozzel back a bit, or turn it down a bit.

Once you know what you will hear/ see/feel (vibs) then move the torch nozzel away for a moment to let the engine clear and do as it will.

Next move around the throttle body slowly listening for rpm change. This is a tuff judgement call since you can't see the propane.

Hold the nozzel near any caps, vac line ends and in the middle seeking chaffing. Hold the nozzel at either end of the intake manifold. Getting as much coverage as possible, seeking a bad O Ring, Hold the nozzel at any and all fittings there as well.

Sneak the nozzel under the tank to the barametric sencor, and every plave there is a vac line.Always listening for rpm change, like you first heard at the intake ports.

When you duplicate that rpm change you just found the invisable vac leak.

I used to for 38 years use WD-40 for this because i could see it.

Last year I think the formula changed. But you could try it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #18

Oil Usage

Quote:
Quote:

All too interesting,..................my case,.....the pinged since new on high test. I always had to baby it so that it wouldn't ping but feared it still did and I just couldn't hear it.
I was told to do the Chuckster intake mod,.........so I did!
This worked for a bit then I started to ping again. Burning regular.
Bought a Cobra 2000 and this too seemed to work for awhile. Burning regular.
Then the oil consumption started. Burning high test.
New rings, pistons,.......the bike pings with regular gas but seems okay with high test?
Then the idle,......this has never been right since the bike was new, it runs fast, then slow then fast, impossible to set the idle as it surges. Even at 90 kms per hour it surges.
Now for the interesting stuff.
Went on holiday drove through Maine and the bike acted up, didn't want to run, bogged down, after three tank fulls it was done,.............won't start!!!! Burning high test
Towed to a bike shop in Ellsworth and there they found water in the tank, drained it and the bike ran good. On regular gas!!
They pour in a can of ???? to remove the carbon from the valves,..............well I'm here to say that this was a miracle product!!!
The bike seems to idle better now, I don't feel it surging! Wow!!! This is a first. still burning regular gas.
NO PINGING ?????
Is the pinging related to carbon on the valves?
HOWEVER,..................I still have an oil consumption problem!!!!!!!!!

These words say VACUUM LEAK and specificly 'Hunting Vacuum Leak.

"Then the idle,......this has never been right since the bike was new, it runs fast, then slow then fast, impossible to set the idle as it surges. "

WHAT if anything was done about that? And No you can't get idle and or set any device to adjust mix with a vacuum leak period.

A vac leak WILL lean out any mix, as it is un-metered air getting to the combustion chambers. This will cause wicked heat and ping too.

If this was not hunted down and fixed, then the mix used to hide it is very rich, and will kill MPG's MPK's.

This needs more attention in detail, but a tech who knows how to hunt a vac leak. That could be you if you will do it.

This is a 08? with new valve work and rings?

If I were you I would get a old fashion propane torch head and a small bottle of plumbers type gas (propane)

Start the engine and pull the right side cover off, up to the backing plate.

Turn on the torch but DO NOT light it, and place the nozzel right at both throttle body ports with the engine running.

Does the RPM go UP? (lean)
Does the engine stumble and begin to stall because it can't take more fuel? (Rich)

Does the RPM first go up , then gag and RPM drops? You added too much fuel but the increase in RPM still shows a lean mix.

If this happens try again holding the nozzel back a bit, or turn it down a bit.

Once you know what you will hear/ see/feel (vibs) then move the torch nozzel away for a moment to let the engine clear and do as it will.

Next move around the throttle body slowly listening for rpm change. This is a tuff judgement call since you can't see the propane.

Hold the nozzel near any caps, vac line ends and in the middle seeking chaffing. Hold the nozzel at either end of the intake manifold. Getting as much coverage as possible, seeking a bad O Ring, Hold the nozzel at any and all fittings there as well.

Sneak the nozzel under the tank to the barametric sencor, and every plave there is a vac line.Always listening for rpm change, like you first heard at the intake ports.

When you duplicate that rpm change you just found the invisable vac leak.

I used to for 38 years use WD-40 for this because i could see it.

Last year I think the formula changed. But you could try it.

Yes, I have done this with my car,...................well,.....unless one hose is hiding? I couldn't find a leak anywhere!
So,..............back to the stealership,........I hope they can say warranty!
Thanks

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Oil Usage

Get their best tech if you can........

Does this tend to happen mostly at cold start? (very typical of gaskets and o rings)

Is it all the time? the above, but hoses, injector seals, throttle body shaft, and sender vac lines, plus vac pods, as the medusa head is.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #20

Oil Usage

Quote:
Get their best tech if you can........

Does this tend to happen mostly at cold start? (very typical of gaskets and o rings)

Is it all the time? the above, but hoses, injector seals, throttle body shaft, and sender vac lines, plus vac pods, as the medusa head is.
It runs like that all the time,my guess is around 100 rpm or more up and down......it even stalls! No warning, no hic-up,.....just instantly, it's stalled. It always starts again but it is a problem!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Oil Usage

Too lean on a gulp of un-metered air... will cause that. Just the fact it hunts is proof enough to me it's a vac leak. I used to be the star vac leak guy to go to.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #22

Oil Usage

Quote:
Too lean on a gulp of un-metered air... will cause that. Just the fact it hunts is proof enough to me it's a vac leak. I used to be the star vac leak guy to go to.
Without hitting the mechanic in the head with a brick, he refuses to believe that this is a vacuum leak!
He claims that a fuel injected engine with a vacuum leak will not surge, the RPM would stay high!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 09-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
Mega-Contributor

Oil Usage

Quote:
Quote:
Without hitting the mechanic in the head with a brick, he refuses to believe that this is a vacuum leak!
He claims that a fuel injected engine with a vacuum leak will not surge, the RPM would stay high!
He's full of crap. I started my Nomad one time with the idle solenoid air hoses disconnected (accidentally) and it surged all over the place by several hundred RPM.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #24

Oil Usage

Try a different mechanic pooker.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Oil Usage

Quote:
Quote:
He's wrong. For 30 years I fixed Bosch Fuel Injected cars, like Saab, BMW, Volvo, M Benze and more that had 'Hunting Vac Leaks' which cause the engine rpm to rise up, until the mix was too lean to run and stall the engine almost, then start all over and go zipping right back up to overly high idle rpm and repeat hunting again .

I did that on D Jetronic, L jet, CIS (K jet), and LH Jet.

Nomads are a re-vamped D jet from 1968 when Volvo was first to use that system on the 122 Amazon, and that same year new model 140 series, and is one reason it makes no sence to me that people use the PC III set up, because D Jet is a open loop system.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #26

Oil Usage

Quote:
Quote:

He's wrong. For 30 years I fixed Bosch Fuel Injected cars, like Saab, BMW, Volvo, M Benze and more that had 'Hunting Vac Leaks' which cause the engine rpm to rise up, until the mix was too lean to run and stall the engine almost, then start all over and go zipping right back up to overly high idle rpm and repeat hunting again .

I did that on D Jetronic, L jet, CIS (K jet), and LH Jet.

Nomads are a re-vamped D jet from 1968 when Volvo was first to use that system on the 122 Amazon, and that same year new model 140 series, and is one reason it makes no sence to me that people use the PC III set up, because D Jet is a open loop system.
Thanks

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030