Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch
Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
FYI, Here in Vermont there is a small group of MC riders that have been trying to have the legislature take up removing the helmet law. They haven't been successful, some one keeps in a committee. This year a poll was taken from the residents in the Washington county area. The results were released: 90% said we need to have a helmet law, 7% said remove the helmet law and 3% said they didn't know.
That's a real strong statement from 46,000 (+/- ) residents.
If they ever decide to go after pipes, watch out!
They say Vermont is very progressive and I mean that politically. Some things I agree with , like the gun laws, but others where the government is overbearing and intrusive, not so much. I wonder if these 90% could articulate in a cogent way why there exists a need for helmet laws?
Back in the mid 60's there was a boom in MC's on the road. In '65 at my high school there was probably 3 MC's, in '66 there were 45. And this was carried throughout the state. With the Hollywood created image of MC riders, and the big increase in accidents with head injuries. Law enforcement wanted to put a check on MC riders. They started MC only check points. And lobbied for stricter regulations on the safety conditions of MC's. And they wanted separate testing and licensing for the riders. The state legislature put all the rules and regulations through. They were afraid we were going to become a stronghold of nasty bikers. They were all very paranoid. I don't remember all the things that were put into effect from the big push, but they included foot pegs for the passenger, fold back pegs for the rider, inspections and helmets. Law enforcement were so forceful on the riders that by '69-'70 lots of my friends had ,had enough and sold their bikes. I guess I'm just too stubburn.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads