Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Two Washers Not Better Than One

Last week I did a topic about the rear end drain bolt and if it has a washer. I didn't see the washer fall when I took the bolt out and looked at the housing and didn't see it there. Well I just thought that the previous change I had lost the washer. Went to Ace Hardware and picked up a washer that was close to the original size. Put the new washer on the bolt and then refilled with 75W-90 rear oil. Rode a few miles and checked the engine oil leve. Parked the bike in the carport and noticed a drip under the rear.

Got my wrenches back out and got the drain pan. Took the drain bolt back out to check things out. The new washer was stuck to the housing. When I pulled it off guess what? Two washers came off. The OEM washer is so thin that when it is stuck there it is almost impossible to see. Stored the new washer and then put the drain bolt through the OEM washer and put it in and tightened it back up. Refilled what oil I had lost. Now no drip.

Lesson here is that if the washer isn't on the bolt be sure and sure a fingernail to check and make sure the washer isn't stuck. I could have saved myself time and trouble if I had done that instead of just looking.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Gene, sorry for the trouble, glad you got it worked out.

Good advice for others to check that. I've had the same thing happen on vehicles with drain bolt washers on oil pan. Most that require one (if you go to the dealer) will change it or mention it if they don't just give you one with the filter (like my Mazda dealer does for me).
Some reuse the old one, and that maybe fine. But if it leaks, it's a big PITA.

Wish they would include that in instructions when there is one used by the manufacturer.

Scott

Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I don't know if the Nomad would leak if you didn't have one. Guess it is best to have one though. I picked up a spare at Cycle World in Gadsden. It is a 20 mile ride for me and that gave me a reason to take a ride. Of course they charge $3.00 for a washer that probably cost them about $.15. Well, anyway I have a spare if I ever need one. Can't see the need to change the original out though. It is just a think flat washer and it should last a long time if you don't lose it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Advanced Member

In your case and this incident, it maybe a thin washer and it may just sandwich to prevent a leak, but many soft metal washers are designed to be crush style which means they should be replaced after a couple of uses, to prevent leaks.
I would on the next service of your rear differential use the new washer you got to be sure of no leaks. It may not leak now, but keep checking it as it heats and cools over a few weeks of use and as the temps raise and fall. It maybe fine, but keep an eye on it for a little while to be sure.
Just like the exhaust gaskets they are there for a reason and should be replaced on removal and reinstallation.

Just my .02cents

Scott

Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Scott, I picked up the new washer at the dealership. It looks exactly like the one I have on my bike. It doesn't crush. It is just a thin washer that the bolt just fits into. I have been using the same washer for several changes and have never had a leak except for this last change. And you know why I had that leak.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Scott, I picked up the new washer at the dealership. It looks exactly like the one I have on my bike. It doesn't crush. It is just a thin washer that the bolt just fits into. I have been using the same washer for several changes and have never had a leak except for this last change. And you know why I had that leak.
OK Gene, I'm sure it will be fine, and you'll keep an eye on it. But good you have a spare then if it does leak or something else happens on your next fluid change. But your aware of it now so that should be good.

Scott