Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #31

Fall is coming fast...

Thanks.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #32

Fall is coming fast...

Okay Greg, here are the river and WI roads I've enjoyed this year. Hopefully there are a couple in here that will be new to you.

Getting to/from WI:
- Hwy 35 on the Mississippi is a great ride all the way from Prescott to Fountain City without a stop sign or light. Lots of small towns, waysides, and scenic view stops along the way though.
- Hwy 61 on the MN is good too and has some multi-lane stretches so it's faster to travel.
- Hwy 60 between Zumbota and Wabasha is a very good road with ups and downs and some nice curves. Just watch out for the farm equipment. (this road flooded out a couple days after I rode it last)
- Hwy 26 from La Crescent to Lansing is good and runs tight to the river. I think you rode this stretch with the group in June.

WI backroads:
- East of La Crosse on Interstate 90 you can drop onto 162 through Middle Ridge (don't blink) all the way over to Hillsboro. Nice scenic roads with some hills and lots of bends. Just East of Ontario the road is pretty much a switch-back climb up to Wildcat Mountain State Park. Didn't go in there but I hear it's a decent park.
- Hwy 80 from Elroy all the way down to Highland (so. of the river) is nice. Interesting rock formations in the Hub City and Rockbridge area, north of Richland Center.
- Hwy 56 from Genoa (on the Mississippi) east to Viroqua is good. Haven't tested it past Viroqua.
- Hwy 171 from the river east to Richland Center is okay, but I was a little annoyed by the weekend apple pickers when I rode through there so I should probably give it another try. Lot's of apple orchards in the Gays Mills area.
- Hwy 14 from La Crosse to Richland Center is pretty good if you are just traveling. Some nasty bumps in the divided section between Boaz (BO-az) and R'Center.
- Hwy 61 north of Boscobel was a little rough when I rode it back in August. A travelling road.
- Hwy 35 south of Prairie from Patch Grove to Lancaster is a nice rural road if you need to travel that area.
- CR T over to the east of Hwy 23 is a nice backroad to either Ridgeway or Barneveld. I think you are familiar with these.

That's about all I can muster for a brain dump right now. Lot's of the other roads I could add that are farther into MN.

There are several No/So roads in that SW section of the WI that I haven't tried becuase I'm always passing through East/West. Like 27 and 131. Pretty much any of the letter roads are worth a try as you've found.

Hope that helps.

Off on a tangent - out in Boulder last June I rode up Flagstaff Road on west side of town. It has to be one of the tightest turning switch back roads there is. Had to slide the clutch in 1st gear a couple times to work through some of them.

Later - Cal
1976 Honda 750 Super Sport

Old 10-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #33

Fall is coming fast...

Thanks for the update Cal.

There are some roads on your list I haven't been on yet. I am working on it though.

I am taking this information, along with my notes, and putting together "routes" of various roads for suggestions to people asking me. While I have several I can put together, I am always looking for new roads and combinations.

Some of the roads I have been on are better going in one direction as opposed to the opposite direction. Figuring that out takes time, and the input of others that have ridden them.

I haven't spent much time north of LaCrosse on those roads -- only just one sweep through the last time I was there. I found several great roads in that region. The ones I was on were absolutely great -- but from my location, it makes it more like a three-day ride to get them covered.

Again, I appreciate the information. I'll eventually get this all put together -- I assume this winter when I cannot ride. (We are around the high 40's today... so, riding-days are getting far and few between.)

Last but not least, I would like to get a group together next season to meet in that area for a few days and ride. I know a couple people expressed an interest, so maybe that could happen. We'll see.

Stay in touch!

Greg

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #34

Fall is coming fast...

The forecast for the weekend upcoming is low-mid 70's so we are making plans to swing through SE Minn for a leaf ride.

I would be interested in a group ride next summer sometime.

Cheers - CB

Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #35

Fall is coming fast...

Cal, you won't be disappointed in any routes that Greg puts together. He's the best! BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #36

Fall is coming fast...

Well, just when we thought riding weather was off the calendar we had a fantastic weekend to get out for a 2-day leaf ride. Headed back down to SE Minn to ride along the river and came back through bluff country. Route 16 over to Lanesboro is worth riding both directions - really nice.

A little hot on Saturday but otherwise just perfect! About 400+ miles to make the loop.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #37

Fall is coming fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Well, just when we thought riding weather was off the calendar we had a fantastic weekend to get out for a 2-day leaf ride. Headed back down to SE Minn to ride along the river and came back through bluff country. Route 16 over to Lanesboro is worth riding both directions - really nice.

A little hot on Saturday but otherwise just perfect! About 400+ miles to make the loop.
I took note of Rt 16 -- thanks.

You're right about the weather. I had to go to my mothers to do some "fall-work" outside her house. Rode down for 4 hours (took the long way); and then rode back home 5-hours (the extra-long way) on Sunday. Absolutely perfect weather.

I rode to work today and back. I had to take the bike in to the dealer to discuss the dent in my front fender. It was quite an ordeal and took several hours with Milwaukee on the phone -- but HD came through for me and authorized a completely new fender replacement. That made me happy, needless to say! I also don't have to worry about fixing the rock-chip now either -- which even makes me happier.

Looks like the weather is still going to hold out for this weekend -- although not as nice as last. It should be in the mid to high 60's, which is still great weather for me to ride in. I will be going without my wife; as she has a group of friends coming to town for their annual "get-together". That is always my clue to head-out-of-town!!! I'll just take two separate day-rides up to the Wisconsin River area for one, and back over to Galena, IL for the other day.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417